The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Finding a Mentor/Teacher (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Beaulieu
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Beaulieu
Hey everyone,

I have been practicing my magic in solitude and was wondering how you all found someone that was willing to take you under their wing (or wand, to keep with the theme). Any advice would be awesome!

~Ben
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out" ~Bertrand Russell
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
Finding a mentor is great, but it can also be very helpful (and maybe easier at first) to connect in-person with peers. See if there is a magic club in your area or even if you can just find 2 or 3 other people that share your interest. You can get together and feed off of each other's enthusiasm, provide each other feedback, kick ideas around, etc. If there is a club you can join, you may find a mentor that way. Sometimes magician's for hire in your area may offer lessons (but I suspect usually for pay).
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Visit a Local Ring or Assembly of the I.B.M. or S.A.M...its the right form to found a mentor. A mentor always is good because a person who knows about you are talking and give backup in your perfomances, practices, etc...
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Beaulieu
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Beaulieu
I just recently located a magic shop in my area and several groups of magicians (although living within an hour of the magic castle doesn't hurt). I just need to get out and meet some magicians. Thank you guys for the advice so far.
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out" ~Bertrand Russell
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20522 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Ben,

Good Luck! You may have hit a gold mine.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Beaulieu
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Beaulieu
Thanks Bob.

It sure does look like I have hit a Gold Mine. I was at "Magic Galore and More" in Westminster, CA and met some people. I realized something, though. I know absolutely nothing about magicians and the history of magic. I may know a few card tricks, but I know few Magician's names beyond the more well known biggies (Houdini, Penn and Teller, Copperfield, Blane, Etc). I do not know the names of any tricks, slights, moves or any of the other essentials. The more I learn, the more I see I need to learn.

Hence my drive to find a mentor of some sort. I am basically a baby when it comes to magic (even at 27). The Magic Café looks to be a huge help on my quest to master a fun (and fulfilling) hobby. I may never master it, but I plan on enjoying myself along the way.

~Ben
CamisBoss
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of CamisBoss
Ben, remember me? I saw you yesterday! I'm Corey, the guy who was working there. You will meet some pretty amazing people at Magic Galore and More. I've been working there all summer on wednesdays, but yesterday was my last day. I leave for Europe soon... Anyways, this summer I have progressed so much in my magic. Mostly because of the people that I've met there during work. As well as having the owner, Ken Sands, help me out. Keep going there! Get to know Ken, get to know the people who frequent the shop. You will be sure to find a good mentor there...or even at the magic castle if you frequent that as well.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9093 Posts

Profile of funsway
You already seem to grasp that involvement with performance magic can change your life, so find a mantor who shares your life values as well as magical interests. You hsould alwasy be able to ask, "how has magic affected your character, ethics, interpersonal relations and self actualization?" Finding a mentor is not like buying a package trick, or finding a short-cut to "who you are."

and, please don't give up the solitary work. That is where creativity lurks.

If you want that kind of mentoring, just contact me as indicated below.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Beaulieu
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Beaulieu
Hey Corey!

I do remember you, and appreciate your helping make the newcomer feel welcome. You will always go down as the guy that first showed me coin magic! People aren't joking when they say the magic community is a small one. Seeing you on here is awesome. I plan on stopping by the shop again even if you won't be there. Enjoy Europe!
55john55
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of 55john55
From my limited experience, you can't beat a magic club for getting help with tricks and also for getting a burst of enthusiasm. Years ago I got permission to use my classroom one evening /month as a place for students and adults to meet. It was fantastic.
John
Beaulieu
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Beaulieu
Hey John (55),

Were you new to magic when the club started? I have already visited two shops in the area and have no idea how to convey that I don't just want to buy a new trick. I will, but I want so much more than an 'item'.

~Ben
scaevola
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of scaevola
Just an aside, you mentioned you didn't know about the history of magic. There are many wonderful reads about this subject. A recent "instant classic" is Steinmeyer's "Hiding the Elephant." Anything by Milbourne Christopher or Ricky Jay is also great. I could go on and on. I love the history of magic and I think it makes me a better magician.
Beaulieu
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Beaulieu
I am definitely going to be looking into the history of magic (even posted for recommendations in the appropriate section of the forums!). I will have to add some more books to my list!

Thanks,
~Ben
Darth_Prime
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of Darth_Prime
Cheers mate!

sadly I am still looking for one as well, I Live In Southern California, but the city I live in doesn't have a magic shop that's close by a'tall.

one thing I've found is that the magic community is a very good group of people, always willing to help and not shun you for being "new" or not as good as some of the others, very acceptable
Irfaan Kahan
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of Irfaan Kahan
I have SOMETIMES found that the older magicians who are perhaps self - proclaimed mentors or "experts" can be a little condescending in terms of what your opinion is and what they "know" to be correct.

Occasionally, I will pose a philosophical question that will spark much debate, and my opinions are listened to but are categorically incorrect as far as they are concerned.

From this I have learned that sometimes I need to listen to myself, to make my own choices and obviously accept full responsibility for any gain or loss I incur as a result.

My point is that you will undoubtedly find much knowledge and wisdom from the mentor(s) you will acquire, but never accept anybody's word as the last say on the matter. You are unique in style, personality, and in terms of what you are comfortable performing. A good mentor will help you to realize these things within yourself, rather than dictate to you what they should be.

Just my 1.5 cents.

Good luck
I'm a Magician playing the part of an Actor
55john55
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of 55john55
Back to an earlier thread. I was new to magic when I started the magic club in my classroom. I got permission to open my classroom one night per month for adults as well as students. I was lucky enough to have someone from the local magic shop volunteer to be the "resident expert". It was very informal and we had about half dozen to dozen people each time,but they weren't always the same people. Almost eveything demonstrated was slight of hand although there were no rules. I videotaped a lot and used it later to study. You might ask your local high school to put a note in the faculty announcements asking if any teachers have an interest in magic. Also, in our district, any resident could rent a room very inexpensively and often the fee was waived. After all, the school is yours. There are also "continuing education" classes at all the high schools in our area. Anyone can teach one and they probably would welcome a magic club. People would have to pay to take the class but that's usually a nominal charge.
stashu
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of stashu
Wow, this is excellent advice!
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9093 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On 2009-08-31 02:13, Irfaan Kahan wrote:
self - proclaimed mentors or "experts"

There is a big difference between "being expert" and "mentoring". Asking a question of a "person of experience" is not "seeking a mentor." A proper mentor
will guide you though the development of all aspects of planning, practice, routining, performance, social skills, etc.; and this should not be based on a particular effect or type of magic.

If you want to improve your skill with Cups & Balls you might find a Coach who will be expert in that venue. This must be one-on-one, even Skype. You might even seek out a 'trainer' for a new effect -- and some DVD's serve this function. On the Internet you can get advice and must consider the source as well as the accuracy of the information, perhaps Googling additional references.

Thus, I doubt that "mentoring' is possible on the Internet, while Coaching, Expert advice and clues as to where to look are possible, but are 'fraught with peril'.

Try seeking out a couple of individuals whose advice you respect and communicate with them privately. Then, when you have to depend on "self-speak" you are speaking with someone with a variety of options rather than a simgle point of view.

If someone offers to "mentor you" make sure they are not just a Coach or Trainer.

My early mentors would only have me work one one effect until I had perfected it before they would help with another. Just a thought. In other words, I had to earn their continued support.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
977 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
Magic galore is a great place for any person who loves magic. Ken Sands is always a great help who goes out of his way to help those learn the arts in magic or mentalism.
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- Anonymous
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Finding a Mentor/Teacher (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL