The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » So- you want to open a magic shop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Customer: Do you have that trick in purple?
Me. They don't make it in purple.
Him. Then you DON"T have it in purple.
Me. If I could get it for you, in purple, would you buy it?
Him. Absolutely
Me. Are you sure? I have to call him to ask.
Him. Absolutely. I've always wanted that one, my whole life, but I could never find one in purple. I have an entire show that's color coordinated and that trick will only work if it's purple.
Me. (Ring Ring) Hello! Can you make that trick in purple as a one of a kind? Yes... same charge... Thank you. OK. Great news, He'll make one for you special, and you will be the only person, in the world with a purple one.
Him. I'll let you know.
Me. I thought you said that you absolutely wanted it if I could get it in purple?
Him. That was before I knew you could get it. Now I have to figure out if I can use it, after all... thirty dollars is a lot to spend on a trick.
Me (Thinking to myself... So is a half n hour dealing with you.)

So... you want to own a magic shop, do ya?
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Quote:
On 2009-08-21 14:23, Frank Starsini wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-21 09:34, Harris wrote:
Years ago, when I knew nothing about magic, I opened an walsh cane.
Almost took out a glass display case.
Harris

A few weeks ago my metal appearing cane went off
in my pocket. Almost took out ....

Oooooooooo!
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2009-08-21 15:48, jay leslie wrote:
Customer: Do you have that trick in purple?
Me. They don't make it in purple.
Him. Then you DON"T have it in purple.
Me. If I could get it for you, in purple, would you buy it?
Him. Absolutely
Me. Are you sure? I have to call him to ask.
Him. Absolutely. I've always wanted that one, my whole life, but I could never find one in purple. I have an entire show that's color coordinated and that trick will only work if it's purple.
Me. (Ring Ring) Hello! Can you make that trick in purple as a one of a kind? Yes... same charge... Thank you. OK. Great news, He'll make one for you special, and you will be the only person, in the world with a purple one.
Him. I'll let you know.
Me. I thought you said that you absolutely wanted it if I could get it in purple?
Him. That was before I knew you could get it. Now I have to figure out if I can use it, after all... thirty dollars is a lot to spend on a trick.
Me (Thinking to myself... So is a half n hour dealing with you.)

So... you want to own a magic shop, do ya?

Can you sell me a red sponge ball in the color purple?
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I think magicians are probably just as stupid as any purchasing group of the great unwashed. I have a carpet retailer friend who has an equally ludicrous collection of requests, questions and situations that are hard to believe and very funny.

I suspect anyone who deals with the general public, including full-time performers, have a collection of equally mind numbing encounters.

Still amusing to read though, (so thanks Jay) and the setting of a magic retailer is one that we can all identify with.

Of course the counter position to this can be found in Jerry Sadowitz Crimp Magazine. 'Toss Cedrick' the Magic Dealer shows things from the opposite perspective and is guaranteed to make any normal magician laugh out loud.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Jay, I will be glad to trade you a brand new dollar bill for four used "Cigarette Thru Half Quarter" coins.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
So I pull out 4 cards and the man YELLS 'I'VE SEEN THAT ONE BEFORE". I said " You don't even know what it is But "I'VE SEEN IT BEFORE" !!!

So I handed it to mr Swoger who was about 77 at the time and I said "You wouldn't yell at an old man, like that.... would you?" He said 'I guess not" I said he has a bad heart".

Swoger proceeded to show him the trick which he bought and admitted that he never saw before, but never apologized for screaming (at me) as loud as a 727 during take-off.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Amazing stories, Jay. Though they are good read and good laughs, I can imagine at that point in time your blood pressure can really shoot up straight away.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Your are right, James. It made him lose two of his eyes.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I guess you really need to be very patient with those 'weird' customers in a brick and mortar magic shop.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Jay could write an entertaining book, I think with the same title. Probably sell well too.

-=tab
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
How about the guy who touted that he was the greatest card man in the world... spent 2 minutes showing me flourishes and another 3 dealing seconds and doing color changes - then challenged me to beat him... so I took out a deck rifle shuffled it and had him slide a card out (underneath a close-up mat) after a minute I named the card (even though neither one of us could see it) and he flipped out..... I used a one-way force deck it never dawned on him to check it. When he took the preverbal 3 foot walk in a circle (as a sign he was amazed) I switched the deck for a regular one.

Moral? Presentation is more important then technique.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Jay, do you sell Copperfield illusions? I want to buy a few if you have them in stock.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
No I don't have an Copper Field illusions but I have a few Brass Ball tricks.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2009-08-23 16:33, jay leslie wrote:
How about the guy who touted that he was the greatest card man in the world... spent 2 minutes showing me flourishes and another 3 dealing seconds and doing color changes - then challenged me to beat him... so I took out a deck rifle shuffled it and had him slide a card out (underneath a close-up mat) after a minute I named the card (even though neither one of us could see it) and he flipped out..... I used a one-way force deck it never dawned on him to check it. When he took the preverbal 3 foot walk in a circle (as a sign he was amazed) I switched the deck for a regular one.

That was one DUMB card worker Smile
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
James, stop calling Jay names like that. Remember he has VIP listed under his name.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I bet that dm will even have an answer to this post too- if for not other reason then to up the total. I'm pretty sure that he doesn't read through any of these except for the last line so... here it goes...

And the man said... those are the biggest sponge balls I've ever seen.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Quote:
On 2009-08-23 16:33, jay leslie wrote:

In that tale lies an important lesson, I think. Beautiful!
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2009-08-23 22:16, jay leslie wrote:
I bet that dm will even have an answer to this post too- if for not other reason then to up the total. I'm pretty sure that he doesn't read through any of these except for the last line so... here it goes...

And the man said... those are the biggest sponge balls I've ever seen.

Dynamike may ask, "What size and color are those balls? Did James Tong made them?" Smile
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2009-08-23 16:33, jay leslie wrote:..... I used a one-way force deck it never dawned on him to check it.

Years ago on MAGIC! (http://mfbtw.com) a bunch of us chipped in and bought 52 decks of poker sized Bikes and made up one way force decks. Im sure they are available from a magic shop these days but a great story Jay. Thanks.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Jay, just wondering, how many ways can a one way deck go?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » So- you want to open a magic shop (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL