The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Banjo... jeff... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I wonder why adding comments has been disabled?
Nice banjo playing though.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Two thoughts:

1. That's incredible!
2. It's no longer music.

It reminds me of a guy back in the 80s who always had ads in Guitar Player magazine that he was the fastest guitar player.

Can anyone name him?

And if no one can, what does that tell us?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Alvin Lee use to be called the fastest guitar player. I don't know of anyone else. Last I heard he was a house dad and his wife worked for Fujitsu Electronics, but that was several years ago.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5852 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
I don't think he perpetrated the fame but Allan Holdsworth was blisteringly fast on the fret board.

Oh, and this video is proof positive that it is the space between the notes which creates "music".
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Sorry that I can't remember his name. The name began with "G" and was Italian, and the point of the ad was to sell some kind of stone pick or something. You know the sort of ad, "Bubby Giamatti, world's fastest guitar player, uses Playfast picks!"

Back in those days, of course, we couldn't just google for his Myspace page and listen to a few clips, so I have no idea how he sounded. Maybe he was really good and musical.

But I can't remember his name.

Anyway, this is always a danger in musical genres where speed is good. In Bluegrass, speed is good. There is always a limit, but since taste defines it I suppose it will always be different for different people.

What's clear is this whole Guinness record for speed doesn't really make sense with regard to musicality.
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Quote:

On 2009-08-20 04:10, stoneunhinged wrote:
Sorry that I can't remember his name. The name began with "G" and was Italian, and the point of the ad was to sell some kind of stone pick or something. You know the sort of ad, "Bubby Giamatti, world's fastest guitar player, uses Playfast picks!"

"Hey kid, rock and roll, rock on..."

I think the person you are thinking about is Paul Gilbert of Racer X and Mr. Big fame. He was advertised as the world's fastest guitarist, if I am not mistaken, he was the first person to be truly "officially" recognized by that title. His advertisement, one of, was for Dunlop Picks.

Other people that have held the World's fastest guitarist title are:
Al Di Meola
Eddie Van Halen
Marty Friedman
Yngwie Malmsteen
Steve Vai
Steve Howe

Guitar Player Magazine names Paul as one of the 50 fastest guitarist of all time.
Guitar One Magazine list Paul as one of the top 10 shredders of all time.

"Rock on gold dust woman..."
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Yeah, but Gilbert doesn't sound very Italian. That's what 25 years of beer will do to one's memory. Assuming you're right, of course. I don't know if I said it, but I'm talking about the 1980s.

I did do some Internet searching for five minutes before posting, but to no avail. I *did* read a very, very interesting piece on Jimi Hendrix written by Pete Townsend. It's the first article of Rolling Stone's "100 greatest guitar players of all time" list. He talks about holding hands with Clapton while watching Hendrix. Worth reading.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16260 Posts

Profile of tommy
I was watching the all-singing, all strumming players of the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain making their Proms debut the other day, playing Beethovens 9th etc and they were quite good for a laugh.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Got a clip?

Here's one from me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trl9p9GHyRs
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Jeff,

You're not thinking of Beppe Gambetta are you?

Mark
What would Wavy do?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16260 Posts

Profile of tommy
Smile

I can't find a clip of them at the proms Jeff but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H18aK9HhNSM&feature=related
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33n4OYii14o, and a bunch more to the right
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Gambetta is good, real good but not known for his speed, more his fluidity and finess.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16260 Posts

Profile of tommy
At the proms there is thousands in the audience with own ukuleles who join in. They are all nuts. Smile

Tommy
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
When I'm sober tomorrow I'm gonna kill myself for posting this, but here's me on the uke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m_VWFGPFho

Please be nice. I'm not really suicidal, but might become so if y'all are too brutal....
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Hah. High noon in Göttingen! Love it. Thanks for the vid, Jeff.

BTW, good choice in avoiding the Batman suit Smile

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You mentioned Mr. Big. Eric Martin, the singer for Mr. Big, had an outstanding band in San Francisco in the early and mid 80s. It wasn't really commercial I guess but he was one of the best club bands around, played some big shows too. I saw Eric after Mr Big and my big question was how did he grow so much hair in so short of time after moving to LA? I demand answers!
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Quote:
On 2009-08-20 23:39, MagicSanta wrote:
You mentioned Mr. Big. Eric Martin, the singer for Mr. Big, had an outstanding band in San Francisco in the early and mid 80s. It wasn't really commercial I guess but he was one of the best club bands around, played some big shows too. I saw Eric after Mr Big and my big question was how did he grow so much hair in so short of time after moving to LA? I demand answers!

The same way I did!
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Banjo... jeff... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL