The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Banned from Blackpool (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
mitchmagi
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of mitchmagi
I received the below email today from Mr Derek Lever. I had for many a while heard of an infamous "blacklist" but did not possibly believe that in this day & age it could actually exist. How little did I know.

Let this be a warning to everyone that if you dare voice an opinion that is contrary to that of Mr Lever - you face sanction. Mr Lever does not only disapprove of my right to voice an opinion - but attempted to censor the 'online media' and have my posts on the subject matter removed from the LinkingPage.com and other publications. Unsuccessful in his attempts - he has now deemed me to be 'persona non grata' and due to the inherent danger that Blackpool now offers to my personal 'safety' - I have been banned. Considering that I have just visited Communist China, I am beginning to question who exactly is living in a totalitarian regime ?

As President of FISM 2012 - Mr Lever is tasked with enhancing, promoting, and developing the Art of Magic - both at home and abroad. If this is how he chooses to exercise his role in the run up to the event - I would be extremely concerned. Perhaps it would be wise to read the teachings of Voltaire: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

"Dear Sir

After reading your various postings over the last few years it is quite obvious you intensely dislike Blackpool, Blackpool Magicians' Convention, Blackpool Magicians' Club and F.I.S.M. Blackpool.

Your pathetic rantings have evoked a great deal of anger both within and outside the magic fraternity and it is quite apparent that our security staff would not be able to guarantee your safety at the 2010 Blackpool Convention. We have today
refunded the £90.,00 charged to your credit card and must advise you that the tickets sent to you are no longer valid. You are henceforth persona non grata and no longer welcome at Blackpool Magicians' Convention.

Derek Lever
Convention Organiser
Blackpool Magicians Club "
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I guess you got what you wanted, right?
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1613 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Implying a physical threat to someone coming to Blackpool for exercising free speech? That's absolutely appalling and I hope there's an appropriate reaction within the community.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I don't know, I think using the name Mitch Magi is enough reason to ban you. It isn't very nice though.
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
The Magic Café is no place for petty squabbles.

Mods, please delete.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13139 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Mitchmagi

Personally, I would not waste too much energy on this. I too have been banned from a convention, and yes, it did irk me, but I would rather not do and be around people who don't want me there. There are better ways to spend my time than to concern myself over petty people. Although I do occasionally make a joke of it and wear the title of BANNED by the **** as a badge of honor.

As for your situation, count yourself in good (or bad) company. I've read accounts of others who went through similar situations over the years.

Tony
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1946 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
There have been previous discussions regarding the actions of Mr Lever which have not been deleted in favor of open discussion and I see nothing petty in this post. It is however, very interesting how differently people respond here as opposed to at Genii:

http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubbt......1#UNREAD
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Is Mitch Magi Craig Mitchell? I like Craig Mitchell.....
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13139 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Santa, THAT isn't going to help the guy make any friends. Smile
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Quote:
On 2009-08-22 17:49, MagicSanta wrote:
Is Mitch Magi Craig Mitchell? I like Craig Mitchell.....

Yes, I can confirm it is Craig Mitchell. Let's put him and Derek in the ring and let them duke it out like real men, rather than posting here on the Café where it's nice and safe.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Yeah! Duke it out! That was mean Tony....
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1946 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
YES.. MitchMagic is indeed Craig Mitchell.

Craig wrote two articles that we posted at Magic Newswire when he sent them to us. Here are the links in case you are interested in what Derek asked us to remove from the site. I have asked Mr. Lever to be a guest on my podcast to talk about FISM 2012 and to allow him to promote Blackpool as a host for the convention, but as I write this he has declined. It is a standing invitation and I hope that he changes his mind in the future.)

This was the first which they seem to be ok with:(And by that I mean that Mr. Lever hasn't mentioned it)
http://www.linkingpage.com/magicnewsfeed......ell.html

This is the one that Mr. Lever asked that I remove: (I had originally used a lo-res version of the FISM Blackpool Banner for the graphic, but as you will see in the comments, Mr. Lever asked that we remove it and I did so as a courtesy.)
http://www.linkingpage.com/magicnewsfeed......ell.html
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Sung to the tune of Alone at a Drive In from Grease.....

Banned at Blackpool....
feelin' like a fool,
what will they say?
at my magic school

Lever, can't you see?
I'm in misery,
I didn't like your convention
and now on reflection
there is no place for me
Why I'd face
Blackpools crime rate
makes me sit and wonder why-y-y-y oh why
did you ban me
from Blaaaaackpool?

Oh Lever, when all is done
people will ask you where was Mitch
and when they find out the truth
they'll say to you you're just being a XXXXXX
In FISM, yes FISM,
they opened up their doors
but no, you have banned me
From Blaaaaackpool!
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1946 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
HA!
Thanks Santa! I think we all needed a laugh on this!
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2338 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
http://www.blackpoomagic.com made my day. Is that Craig's website?
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1224 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
It needs professional security as well as professional judges!
mitchmagi
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of mitchmagi
Santa - that brought a smile to my face.
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1217 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Quote:
On 2009-08-22 21:16, MagicSanta wrote:
Sung to the tune of Alone at a Drive In from Grease.....

Funny lyrics but the name of the song is called 'Sandy" and sung by John Travolta in the movie 'Grease'. The first line of the song (where Magic Santa mistakenly thought was the name of the song) was 'Stranded at the drive-in; branded a fool"
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2639 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Sounds to me like Derek hasn't done much to defend the stuff being said about Blackpool. I would be interested in hearing what he has to say. Seems like a lot of sour grapes here....
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Thank you for your guidance, I refer you to the site I went to in order to obtain the title:

http://www.stlyrics.com/songs/g/grease89......561.html

Please address all complaints and challenges to them as I, officially, don't care if the title is Sandy or anything else I was pointing out the song as the law requires.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Banned from Blackpool (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL