The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Banned from Blackpool (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
mitchmagi
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of mitchmagi
It seems that Mr Lever has indeed 'banned' many, many people over the years from his Blackpool Magicians Club. The below was sent to me:

"Derek Lever has banned Alan ( New owner of Tommy Cooper Magic Blackpool) plus all, his Family and friends, Including Alan’s 13 year old daughter who has done no harm to anyone at all, and loves magic, But because of her banning she is not allowed to attend the Blackpool Convention. Also when Alan gets new people to work for him in the Tommy Cooper magic shop, demoing trick He can not keep any of his new staff, as Derek Lever contacts all the new staff and tells them that if they continue to work for Alan in his shop, Then they are also banned from the BMC, the Blackpool Convention and also anything to do with the Manchester Magic Club that Derek also set up. He did at one time place a ban on every member of the Surrey magic society as Colin was a member, He banned Mike Danata as Mike was helping out run the gala show at the SEMC, And any dealer that had a stand at the SEMC Convention he has banned for life from the BMC"

There now appears to be a widespread belief that Mr Lever has extended these 'bans' to automatically include FISM 2012. Alan Chester - owner of the Tommy Cooper Magic Shop in Blackpool - writes:

"Anyone banned from blackpool magicians club events and manchester events are also barred from FISM when it comes to blackpool but don't worry folks our shop will still be open and look out for our magic auction at the end of september"

FISM's stated aim is to "enhance, promote and develop the Art of Magic"

I have requested Eric Eswin - FISM's International President - to confirm with Mr Lever that he is indeed NOT attempting to exclude any dealers or registrants from attending FISM 2012 on the basis of Mr Lever's personal ban lists.

FISM is obviously open to any magician worldwide and it is imperative that this be known - especially to those who find themselves on the 'Blackpool Magicians Club banned list'

If you have been banned - or know of anyone who has been banned by Derek Lever - and are wishing to attend FISM 2012 either as a delegate or dealer - please contact me m I t c h @ I n t e k o m . c o . z a
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
This Lever fellow sounds like a complete tool! I suppose I'll be banned now but FWIW, I had no intention of ever going!

MMc
mitchmagi
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of mitchmagi
The latest reports just received:

"On hearing that Fism 2012 is coming to Blackpool I decided to phone up Arthur Carson of the Blackpool Magic Club with the view to purchasing tickets for Fism. He told me I was still banned for attending Blackpool and an application to attend Fism will have to gobefore the Blackpool Committee which will be meeting in approximately 8 weeks time and they will decide whether I was eligible for a Fism ticket. However, it was express to me
that it would be unlikely that I will be able to get a ticket to attend Fism ... "

and

"i have already been told my a member of bmc that anyone derek has barred wiil not be allocated tickets for fism and I have already been refused a dealer booth and a guy who was working for me was told he would not be able to attend either if you know how I and others can get in let me know"
mitchmagi
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of mitchmagi
Further details on the above:

"Myself any of my staff family and friends ... I understand has also been barred I have written to BMC for further clarification but have been ignored"

Again - these are messages which I have received. I cannot independently confirm the contents thereof ( I can 100% confirm my banning order from Blackpool ) - but I do believe there is sufficient cause for concern to request an official response and clarification regarding admission for FISM 2012 from Mr Lever.
mitchmagi
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of mitchmagi
Mr Lever also attempted to have Paul Daniels expelled from the IBM:

"The story is too long, but basically a man called Derek Lever tried to get me kicked out of the IBM for 'exposing' magic secrets by selling tricks "to non magicians'. I was sitting at the back of the theatre where this AGM was being held and they did not know I was there. I stood up and pointed out that we all started with such magic sets, and as the vast majority of the IBM membership were non magicians anyway, making their living by being carpenters, plumbers, accountants, solicitors and so on, every dealer in the world was doing what Derek Lever was accusing me of. The motion was voted out."
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1034 Posts

Profile of jlibby
What foolishness!

What the heck. I'll save Derek Lever the trouble and ban myself.

Joe Libby
San Antonio, TX
Grab your FREE preview of my ebook
Panel Board Coin Magic: Easy Magic with the Best Coin Trick You've NEVER Seen!

Visit this page for all the details, to sign up, and get instant access:
https://joelibbyseminars.com/panelboardebookpreview/
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2905 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I agree with Joe. Can anyone shed light on why this guy has such a rotten attitude? He's starting to sound like that Fred Phelps moron out of Kansas who protests soldiers funerals, and went so nuts he started protesting everything else he could find...like the entire country of Ireland. Seems to me Derek Lever just doesn't want to deal with anyone so he's searching for reasons to ban people. Why doesn't he just cancel the whole thing? That way instead of sending out individual bans he can just take care of the whole thing in one go.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Just in case I want to go to FISM or Blackpool I'd like to say that not only is Derek Lever one of the greatest men who ever lived but he lives in a city that should be rated number one in the worlds most glamerous destinations but they keep it quiet to reduce tourism to a managable number.
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
Santa... how in the world do you manage to speak with your tongue buried so deeply in your cheek?

I remember Paul commenting on UK Magic conventions in my interview with him. In addition, when asked about the Blackpool convention for a written interview, his response was:

Paul Daniels: UK conventions were ruined for me by B1tch1ness and jealousy, which is a real shame because that was where I met so many of my friends. Now I only go to foreign conventions where, to be honest, I am greeted with respect and civility AND I have tons of ‘foreign’ magician friends.

Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
mitchmagi
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of mitchmagi
Further reports.

Extracts from a letter written by Mr Lever to one of the many people on his banned list:

"We can choose to ban whoever we wish for whatever reason. You ... all staff and business associates of yours are all banned from attending the Convention. We will not be giving any details as to why you are not attending."

Again - if you have been banned or know of anyone who has been banned from Blackpool and are wishing to attend FISM 2012 - please contact me. FISM 2012 have a good special on - book 12 registrations, get one free.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4570 Posts

Profile of Payne
Wow, It sounds like the Drougie's running the next FISM are going to make sure it goes off like Clockwork by beating down all opposing

I hear that this is the poster fo thier event

"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
You have to love it when Clockwork Orange enters a discussion of magic clubs. All of this banning silliness is starting to win me over to Dan Sperry's way of thinking with regard to magic conventions.
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I say it is time to take FISM out of the hands of those Euros and bring it to the US where freedom and other stuff still rule!
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3393 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-08-24 17:22, mitchmagi wrote:
Further reports.
Again - if you have been banned or know of anyone who has been banned from Blackpool and are wishing to attend FISM 2012 - please contact me. FISM 2012 have a good special on - book 12 registrations, get one free.

HA! Wow, apparently you guys could book a solid wing of the hotel by yourselves! Hey! there's an idea...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
mitchmagi
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of mitchmagi
"apparently you guys could book a solid wing of the hotel by yourselves! Hey! there's an idea..."

At this rate - its going to be half of Blackpool.
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
I think mitchmagi should be banned from the Magic Café. Just for a laugh.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
It would have been funny if you didn't bring it up Andi....man, dudes with I's at the end their names, no timing.
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
I've just posted posted my interview with Eric Eswin in which we discuss the long term goals of FISM, the most recent World Championship of Magic in Beijing and the various controversies connected to the announcement of Blackpool as the host city for the 2012 convention. LISTEN TO OUR INTERVIEW HERE
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1034 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Well, since I preemptively banned myself, I feel no hesitation in saying that that is one of the silliest things I've read in a long time!

"You're banned. And everyone you know is banned. I don't have a reason. But you're still banned!"

Joe L.

Quote:
On 2009-08-24 17:22, mitchmagi wrote:
Further reports.

Extracts from a letter written by Mr Lever to one of the many people on his banned list:

"We can choose to ban whoever we wish for whatever reason. You ... all staff and business associates of yours are all banned from attending the Convention. We will not be giving any details as to why you are not attending."

Grab your FREE preview of my ebook
Panel Board Coin Magic: Easy Magic with the Best Coin Trick You've NEVER Seen!

Visit this page for all the details, to sign up, and get instant access:
https://joelibbyseminars.com/panelboardebookpreview/
mitchmagi
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of mitchmagi
A big kudos to Dodd Vickers for another great interview.

I have full confidence that Eric Eswin will indeed ensure that fairness prevails and preserve FISM's integrity in this matter as a truly global organisation bringing together what is so good in magic.

He has already stated that the "Ban" list from Blackpool shouldn't carry over to FISM ... and more importantly a mere difference of opinion or a dislike for what someone said does by no means qualify.

If Mr Lever does now confirm that no one is banned from FISM - it does beg the question as to why one registrant was explicitly told that he needed permission to attend FISM and that the Blackpool Committee will decide whether he was eligible for a FISM ticket. I hope that this determination regarding admission is being done in a fair & transparent fashion. In this instance, a delegate is singled out for 'review' based ostensibly as a result of private disputes between Mr Lever / the BMC and the registrant ( in this case the registrant being involved with a competing convention )

Imagine that - competing magic conventions !
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Banned from Blackpool (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL