The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Joshua Jay (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Double O Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Profile of Double O Magic
Is there someone here that agrees with me that The Complete Course in Magic By Joshua Jay is a good book?
olaf911
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
104 Posts

Profile of olaf911
It depends.

If you are just starting out in magic it might be a good source to learn a few TRICKS. If you get serious about the ART of magic you will want to obtain additional literature containing more in-depth knowledge.

I started out with "Magic for Dummies", which I consider comparable with this book in a way (lame comparison, I know). Now I own a lot of books about the art of magic, but without the first one maybe I never would have started out in the first place.

So for beginner it is much value for the money, and you get a good idea what categories of magic are to your liking. Just my 2 cent.
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2489 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
I agree with you that it's a good book Smile
"He must be content to rank with the common herd." - S.W. Erdnase
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I bought it at the same time as I bought Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. The photos seduced me. The DVD demonstrations made me think it was a better deal than Mark Wilson's book.

Here's my honest take on it about 7 months later. It is still a pretty good get-started book. Some of it is really talking down to the reader (his little intro with two drawings and the memory questions he asks - I'm normally good at puzzles like that but most of his questions are cheating, meant to teach a lesson about misdirection, but it is a bad example when you are asking questions about parts of the picture that are not there; it is insulting and actually biased me against the rest of the book - rant over). The included DVD convinced me I had to get an Invisble Deck. I'm sure not sorry I did. There are a few neat tricks in here and I do think it is worth having, but I would not call it a great book for long-term understanding of magical performance. As stated by Olaf, it will teach you some tricks. It is up to you to determine what you will do with them.

-Patrick
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Is good...Very Explained for someone searching in Borders for secrets, But is Good I need to recognize that!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
BCaldwell
View Profile
Special user
is really regretting his
524 Posts

Profile of BCaldwell
As a book intending to get people started on the road to magic, absolutely worthwhile.
"...that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller Smile

~Bob~
Double O Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

I agree with everyone but I guess what I mean was that it just has some powerful effecs in it and it teaches some small lessons.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2020 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
It is a pretty good book. But Magic for Dummies/Idiots, and Wilson's Course, followed by Tarbell's Complete Course will give you a lot more.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Josh is nursing a broken bone right now. Best wishes for his speedy recovery and life back as an entertaining magician.

I do like the book.

Of course, there are loads of great ones to get you busy doing magic. The best ones are the ones that work for you. After all, you are the magician. (I don't think I have ever disposed of one in nearly fifty years!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
rjthomp
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena
194 Posts

Profile of rjthomp
Along with Wilson's book, its the best place to start for a beginner (well Harry Lorayne's The Magic Book might be better, as far as learning close-up magic goes, but you won't find it at Border's...). Has a few nice tricks for more experienced magicians too, and at a great price...

-Rob
mcfrazier
View Profile
New user
Philadelphia suburbs
8 Posts

Profile of mcfrazier
I think Josh's book is an excllent first book, esecially if someone doesn't know, yet, how far with magic they will end up going. His performance on the DVD are fun, and it's a great sampling of tricks overall.

But there's more to it than that, even. I really appreciate the efforts he makes to fully crdit each effect, to expose the reader t som great names in magic along with some magic history, and to get a little into his philosophy of good vs. stale magic.

I'm sorry he's dealing with an injury, by the way. Recover quickly, J!
--
Mac Frazier
Double O Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Yes, healthy wishes Josh!
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
559 Posts

Profile of pradell
You can download Joshua Jay's free 92 page ebook, Under, Over at:

http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-d......er-over/

:magicrabbit:
Double O Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Thanks for the link pradell!
tomboston
View Profile
New user
Boston, MA
88 Posts

Profile of tomboston
I aslo think it is a great book to get someone into magic with many excellent effects. The explanations are clear and the photos help in the learning process.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2009-08-26 05:52, Bob Sanders wrote:
Josh is nursing a broken bone right now. Best wishes for his speedy recovery and life back as an entertaining magician.

He fell off a boat and hit a bouy.
Double O Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Oh that's not good.
Mark Richardson
View Profile
New user
Oakland California
37 Posts

Profile of Mark Richardson
Both Joshua Jay's and Mark Wilson's books were great introductions into my pursuit of magic. Best wishes for a speedy recovery Josh!
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17128 Posts

Profile of joseph
I 2nd that...He is quickly becoming one of my favs...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Joshua Jay (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL