The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Learning source? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

delpfin
View Profile
New user
Poland
53 Posts

Profile of delpfin
What source do you prefer for learning stage manipulations? Books or video tapes ?
Learning from books is more difucult. On video, you see all moves, but on this you get style of performance and mannerism. Both sources have good and bad sides.
I think, no answer exists like this: "Best for all magicians is... (video or book) because..."

But what source do you prefer???

PS. Please do not write "Best is live seminar or private lessons". I do this Smile
Kallak
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Kallak
Personally, I find that alternating between the two works best for me. The videos help me see the mechanics described in the books in action. Also, video tends to be a better source on finesse and presentation.

However, after watching the videos, going back to the book(s) helps me keep focused on the technique. Also, after having seen the moves in action, I am more clear on the overall mechanics and can then focus on the fine details that the video doesn't show.

If both is an option, that's my vote.

Kallak
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
326 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
Learning from video is more clear on how to do things, but make me tend to copy the entire act. And videos are expensive.

Learning from books make me try to figure out how to do it and how to present it. And books are cheaper.

Both have strong points and weak points. So I use both too.

Regards,

Budi Ha Ha
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
Videos, I say, because people can make up stuff in books.
If you punch a wall so hard your knee hurts your goal has been accomplished.

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
Ty Argo
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
525 Posts

Profile of Ty Argo
Wikiro- Please elaborate. Are you talking about people misunderstanding the sleight from a book and then learning it wrong? If not, please inform me.
Dyslexics UNTIE!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Learning source? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL