The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Wooden Cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

William Wortman
View Profile
Veteran user
Omaha, NE
301 Posts

Profile of William Wortman
I wanted to get into cups and balls, I was wondering if anyone uses wooden cups and what kind they are and where to get them ?

I am using the wooden cups because I remember that Al Schneider uses wooden because it is does not have a mirror shine to them.

I was looking at Cups & Balls (Wooden) by Uday if there are any better please let me know ?
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Hi William,

Joe Porper offers wood cups here: http://www.porperoriginals.com/cups_pics.htm

You may also wish to check out http://69.89.31.132/~cupsandb/museum/specialtycups.htm

If you need a password for The Museum contact the Curator at: curator@cupsandballsmuseum.com

Many of the wood Cup Sets pictured are out of production, however, should you see a set you can not live without they may surface on one of the auction sites.

Bill
Colonel Clark
View Profile
Regular user
Mesa, AZ
127 Posts

Profile of Colonel Clark
"shuufflethecards" currently has a set for sale on ebay
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I may have some for sale.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
With Al Schneider you are seeing copper cups that have an extremely heavy patina making them dull. Any set of copper cups will attain this in a long enough period of handling.
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The cups that Al Schneider uses are Morrissey "Mini" cups from about 1968 0r 1969. They are made of copper. Through heavy use, the copper has achieved a very deep brown patina.

To see what they looked like originally, go to http://69.89.31.132/~cupsandb/museum/roundedcups.htm . It is the 19th set from the bottom of the page.

BTW, I have verified this with Al.

Most wooden cups are unsuitable for use in the cups and balls. Wood, in general, has a tendency to split if not of the proper density. It can also warp. Joe Porper's wooden cups have fairly thick walls. His wooden cups are made of two pieces of wood that are laminated together in such a way that the grain of the wood in the two pieces oppose each other. This prevents warping.

I have not seen any warping problems with the cups that Eric Hansen (Papasmurf) makes. The John Dahms cups in my collection also do not tend to warp.

The Tayade cups, which are also made of wood, are pretty, but the shellac coating has a tendency to dissolve if it gets wet (perspiration can cause this) and sometimes they will crack if not taken care of properly.

The Uday cups are very light and have little attic space. You will be wasting your money on them.

Metal is really the best material for cups for most performers.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1310 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I have not used their cups but I have brought a few things from five of hearts and there quality is amazing. There understanding of magic and what a prop needs to do is top. There understanding of wood craft and producing amazing craft is also top. The two combined end in a lovely result.

As much as I love these guy I would still check with the cup and ball gurus that this is the way to go.

Any way hers a link
http://www.fiveofheartsmagic.co.uk/index......ubmit=Go
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Also, don't rule out satin finished copper (or other) metal cups too Smile

Posted: Aug 25, 2009 2:11pm
Come to think of it,my "go to" cups for some time have been highly polished sterling silver plate and I have never had any problems.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The cups that Five of Hearts makes are exceptional. But most of us aren't going to be using cups of that type in any case. My HMS Victory cups are not practical to use, because the walls are so thick.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
I use the wooden cups from Shuffle the Cards. I use them for my three cup routine and I really love them. The craftsmanship is excellent and I love the finish they really make the red balls pop.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
You could always learn a one cup routine a wooden cup that is solid.

Or... Charlie Miller's routine comes to mind. Use three of Eric's cups in a non-stacking routine (chopped or not).
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2009-08-26 00:05, Dreadnought wrote:
I use the wooden cups from Shuffle the Cards. I use them for my three cup routine and I really love them. The craftsmanship is excellent and I love the finish they really make the red balls pop.

Are these the cups? http://69.89.31.132/~cupsandb/museum/showCup.php?id=45
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Wooden Cups (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL