The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Laymen brain fryer "1 touch 1 thought" by me (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
weapon
View Profile
Inner circle
I am Emran. I have,
1329 Posts

Profile of weapon
Well guys, I have been on a very creative magic path lately and I would like to share this plot with you.
I have been using this for the passed few weeks and it has kicked some serious butt!

Effect:
The magician explains how every card in the deck is unique and no two are alike but every card has a bond with another card in the deck we call these 2 cards mates or pairs. "if you was to touch any two card in the deck and then turn them over the chances of both of them being mates would be a 1000 to 1 chance." This is attempted by the spectator and the cards are turned over revealing they they are not mates..not even close..
The magician then explains the reason you didn't succeed was because by touching both card you used too much of you physical aspects. so now we will try to bring everything into harmony by using 1 half psychical and 1 half mental parts of your being.
2 jokers are removed from the deck and placed on the table. the spectator thoroughly
shuffles and cuts the deck until he is satisfied. the deck is then tabled and spread by the spectator and one card is touched and removed sight unseen and placed in between the jokers to prevent tampering with and then placed on top of the deck so the sandwich never leaves the spectators sight. This is the physical part...
The spectator is now told that the card in between the jokers has only one mate and that mate is somewhere in the deck. next he is ask to merely just think of any card in the deck. once the card is named lets say 7 of hearts, it is upjogged and removed in full view. the deck is tabled and now comes the build up.. " one card touched but not seen and one card thought of but not touched.. the face down card is removed from in between the jokers.. and a question is asked
" if both cards are red the would be pretty good.. but that's only a 50-50 chance".. "but if they was both mates" then both cards is now turned over and they match.. "now that would be a miracle.. you bow and take you applause!

please tell me what you think of the plot...

thanks!
Eternity by Emran Riaz (Gimmicks + Download) An IMPOSSIBLE prediction of ANY number, ANY word, literally ENGRAVED in a medallion they've been holding THE ENTIRE TIME.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/12181
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Sounds great, certainly if used in the past few weeks
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!



"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
splice
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1245 Posts

Profile of splice
It's a nice plot, but I don't see why you need to lie and say such a thing as "the chances of both of them being mates would be a 1000 to 1 chance". If a 50 to 1 chance doesn't sound impressive enough to you then just do away with the numbers and say something like "the chances of both of them being mates would be very small indeed".

When you say "1000 to 1" you run the risk of being challenged on it and corrected.
weapon
View Profile
Inner circle
I am Emran. I have,
1329 Posts

Profile of weapon
True splice. good point..

I'm going to make a small video demo and explanation.. if interested please PM me
Eternity by Emran Riaz (Gimmicks + Download) An IMPOSSIBLE prediction of ANY number, ANY word, literally ENGRAVED in a medallion they've been holding THE ENTIRE TIME.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/12181
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
664 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
That sounds great. If you want post the explanation in the secret sessions...
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
I live inside your computer.
1243 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
What would the chances be? Brushing up on my math here, but am I right in thinking 1/51 odds? Assuming full deck, no jokers.
Jeff Travilla - Author of "The Extractor." I work in advertising and marketing now. If you are a professional worker and need marketing help, feel free to contact my company. JCM Media Group.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
2977 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On 2009-08-26 00:26, pearljamjeff wrote:
What would the chances be? Brushing up on my math here, but am I right in thinking 1/51 odds? Assuming full deck, no jokers.

Well, there's also the chance that the card they name off the top of their head is the card that was actually originally selected and then sandwiched between the jokers.

As for the effect itself, it seems like something that would appeal to the Open Prediction/CAAN/ACAAN crowd, so maybe they can offer their views. The only thing I'd say is that in the long run you're going to want to ditch the sandwiching of the card between the Jokers. If you were to think about this effect in its purest form -- in other words, doing Tommy Wonder's Mind Movie exercise -- there'd be no reason to involve a sandwiching of the card, nor to have that sandwich replaced on the deck. That might facilitate the method, but it undermines the purity of the effect itself.
A screed for scams, sorcery, and other shenanigans... Nu Way Magick Blogge

JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
I live inside your computer.
1243 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
I just can never get these darn probability things right! They just irritate my brain. I'm talking about the effect itself, upon it's successful completion.

You choose a card. They name it's mate. The spectator naming the card you chose, while amazing, would be a miss in the premise, so wouldn't count in determining the probability for the successful completion of *this* effect. Right?

One card is selected, say 7 of Hearts. They don't know this and now have a 1 out of 51 chance to name the 7 of Diamonds. Correct me if I'm wrong...

____________

*Self-correction. Yup, I'm wrong.*

It's still 1/52 chance. The card being placed aside does not eliminate it from the possibility of being named, and naming it would be an unsuccessful conclusion. Andrew, as usually, I bow to your mathematical mastery.
___________

I also agree that the prediction remaining in the deck may weaken the effect, but I think it would still play quite strongly with the proper conviction.
Jeff Travilla - Author of "The Extractor." I work in advertising and marketing now. If you are a professional worker and need marketing help, feel free to contact my company. JCM Media Group.
Shodan
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man
663 Posts

Profile of Shodan
A great follow up to this would be the thought of card effect from Dear Mr Fantasy, using the touch force as a multiple out. Your spectator who just performed the effect could be the person to physically determine someone else's mental selection - would make a nice addition to the theme.

Cheers,
David.
"You don't go up to strangers with a stick and come at their head...introduce yourself first, then come at them with a stick." - David Williamson
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
Great to see creativity at work!

Do you think the end will be the strongest because it has been built up like this from the beginning and through a failure the first time?

Or could it be more effective by underplaying the ending and saying that you are attempting to see if people will find cards that have any similarities, such as both being red or both being picture cards?

Because I was thinking that the spectator will see where this is going and it could play as more of a display of skill. That may not be a bad thing at all however if it is even true in this case. I don't know.

My first thought though was to do this with an ESP test-like scientific curiosity, not quite knowing the outcome. Laboratory conditions in the name of pseudo science. However such an effect would probably need to be repeated once and would probably only become magic if actual magic was applied during a third round, which would then have a different surprising ending.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
MagicMarker
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of MagicMarker
> I just can never get these darn probability things right! They just irritate my
> brain. I'm talking about the effect itself, upon it's successful completion.

> You choose a card. They name it's mate. The spectator naming the card you chose,
> while amazing, would be a miss in the premise, so wouldn't count in determining
> the probability for the successful completion of *this* effect. Right?

> One card is selected, say 7 of Hearts. They don't know this and now have a 1 out
> of 51 chance to name the 7 of Diamonds. Correct me if I'm wrong...

I'm afraid you're wrong, but close. They have completely free choice of any card, they don't know the card between the jokers, so the chances of naming the 7 of Diamonds is 52 to 1.

If they were asked to name any card "except" the 7 of Hearts then the odds of picking the 7 of Diamonds would be 51 to 1.

My question on this is why bother with the Mates. You're letting them freely name any card and then you find it's mate. Why not just find the named card between the jokers? Much more direct, and impressive.

I presume the reason has to do with the method being used, and that's fine. There's a long and noble tradition of effects being less direct than we'd like due to the method being used. Of course the advertising blurb would desribe the effect in the most direct way possible ;-)

I'd agree that you shouldn't claim odds of 1000 to one, or anything like it. Either say "about 50 to 1" or ignore the odds altogether.

If the use of Mate cards is necessary due to the method then you've done a pretty good job of justifying it. If your method allows the card between the joker to be the spectator's card then I'd go with that option, and forget the mates altogether.

-Rd
MagicMarker
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of MagicMarker
> If they were asked to name any card "except" the 7 of Hearts then the odds of
> picking the 7 of Diamonds would be 51 to 1.

Actually, just to correct that. Mathematically the odds would be 51 to 1
Psychologically I reckon that most people wouldn't name the 7 of diamonds if
the 7 of hearts was mentioned.

-Rd
weapon
View Profile
Inner circle
I am Emran. I have,
1329 Posts

Profile of weapon
Ahh this is why I love the Café, all these great ideas and opinions...

I guess my reason why I place the sight unseen card between the jokers is that I feel in a laymens mind it would be harder to disturb a sandwiched selcetion and also it gives a nice visual focal point when I spread through the deck looking for their thought of card and they see the jokers on top of the deck in full view the whole entire time..

noobini, to your question I'm not sure what would be better .. I just ask them to randomly touch 2 cards, just to demonstrate if you use to much of your physical aspects of your self you wont be in harmony or yadda yadda lol.. I guess this thing can be totally optional..

magicmarker, yes it has to also do with the method, and plus the patter of one card being thought of and one card being touch... this effect would be great for a soul mate patter for a couple or two random people..

I finished the video and I will post it asap. hope you enjoy!

Posted: Aug 26, 2009 9:08am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh BTW, I tried my best to justify every action in this effect and I'm sure you guys will be very please.. from the card between the jokers.. to putting it on top of the deck everything has a reason
Eternity by Emran Riaz (Gimmicks + Download) An IMPOSSIBLE prediction of ANY number, ANY word, literally ENGRAVED in a medallion they've been holding THE ENTIRE TIME.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/12181
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
2977 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On 2009-08-26 09:05, weapon wrote:
I guess my reason why I place the sight unseen card between the jokers is that I feel in a laymens mind it would be harder to disturb a sandwiched selcetion...


I think they'd probably get a stronger feeling of this condition -- the selected card being "undisturbed" -- if the card were apparently isolated from the deck the entire time.
A screed for scams, sorcery, and other shenanigans... Nu Way Magick Blogge

JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
weapon
View Profile
Inner circle
I am Emran. I have,
1329 Posts

Profile of weapon
Well here is a demo video of me talking to my self.. lol

hope it comes across clear to you guys... enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LObM_gMNWCY
Eternity by Emran Riaz (Gimmicks + Download) An IMPOSSIBLE prediction of ANY number, ANY word, literally ENGRAVED in a medallion they've been holding THE ENTIRE TIME.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/12181
Matze
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Matze
Pretty good,I liked it..also liked the ideas some guys were coming up with in the thread

I also subscribed to your channel =)
Trois
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach
594 Posts

Profile of Trois
Nice effect. I'm sure it plays strong. I've done "matching mates" type of effects before and they do amaze the lay folks. Yours looks real nice and look like a winner to me. Nice job, Trois

P.s. ...plus the fact they name their choice makes it even stronger!
Trois
Not clever enough to come up with something orginal, or did I.
weapon
View Profile
Inner circle
I am Emran. I have,
1329 Posts

Profile of weapon
Thank you guys!!

if anyone want the explantion.. I posted a "private video on youtube" so PM me for the private link...

p.s I worked out a in the hands variant of it.. which I actually like better.. it gives more of the reason to use the jokers and why to keep them on top of the deck!


Posted: Aug 27, 2009 1:04pm
------------------------------
Hey guys here is the link for the explanation... PM me for the password!
Eternity by Emran Riaz (Gimmicks + Download) An IMPOSSIBLE prediction of ANY number, ANY word, literally ENGRAVED in a medallion they've been holding THE ENTIRE TIME.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/12181
Agaton
View Profile
Loyal user
Manila
292 Posts

Profile of Agaton
Brilliant! I like the thought that people would just name the mate..not you...would lessen suspicion and difficult for spectators to "reconstruct" (if they even dared). That's cool!
magicwanabe
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of magicwanabe
Very cool -- great work. Your performance is actually stronger than your description of the effect -- I am glad you posted the video. I like the fact that your "handling" is kept to a relative minimum -- thanks for sharing on the Café!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Laymen brain fryer "1 touch 1 thought" by me (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL