The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Silk vanish (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
meyegr
View Profile
Special user
Only able to muster
802 Posts

Profile of meyegr
Back when I was performing I used it all the time. Once after an exposure I did it and one of the guests said "I thought you were using one of those fake thumb things, but you're not" - go figure Smile
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
Dorian,

I now do a five phase silk vanish which confuses my audiences even more than your audiences and their mouths are even more wide open and also my audiences ask me even louder than your audiences "HOW DID YOU DO THAT!!!!":)

Derrick
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1073 Posts

Profile of Nash
I've never done vanishing silk at my restaurants. For one it doesn't fit my style. Secondly I try to stay away from what people perceive as typical magic tricks. Ex. Sponge Balls, Vanishing silk, linking rings. People immediately think "oh cute, this guy just bought a magic kit from the kids store", or "yah yah yah, the silk goes into the fake thumb, my 9 year old nephew does that" ...

It is already hard performing at restaurants, the last thing I want is to be that "typical magician".
Don't give up, don't EVER give up.

NashFung.com/virtual-magic-show
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
There are no typicial and bad magic tricks. What never ceases to exist is a myriad of bad performers and bad performances.

I've been doing Linking Rings, Silk Vanishes and Sponge Balls for my whole career, and they're always being reinvented and their resentations always kept fresh.

And the audiences love it! I'm no afraid if they think they know how do I do a french drop, for instance. That is why I use a reel, LOL.

Quote:
On 2009-10-28 16:27, Nash wrote:
I've never done vanishing silk at my restaurants. For one it doesn't fit my style. Secondly I try to stay away from what people perceive as typical magic tricks. Ex. Sponge Balls, Vanishing silk, linking rings. People immediately think "oh cute, this guy just bought a magic kit from the kids store", or "yah yah yah, the silk goes into the fake thumb, my 9 year old nephew does that" ...

It is already hard performing at restaurants, the last thing I want is to be that "typical magician".
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
If you are concerned about too much exposure or the fact that it's in beginner magic sets, then use a finger tip instead. It will fly completely by them.
Same thing with vanishing a cig. I've been in the middle of a cig vanish when people say out loud that I'm using "one of those plastic thumbs". What I really use is a pull. Oh the fun I have when they grab and try to pull off my thumb.
Take their supposed knowledge and use it against them to create something even stronger.
patrick
james prince
View Profile
Loyal user
England
230 Posts

Profile of james prince
I don't use the tt for silk vanishes myself but do use it for other things, for example Williamson's salt trick

I have a friend who does a very pointed tt silk vanish but in fact uses a Antonio Romero hold out and when he's challenged about the use of a tt lets people check his hands and then goes on to reproduce the silk as though the tt was in use

The point being that they always bring up the tt use - so this is how much this method is common knowledge
MMark
View Profile
New user
Edmonton, AB, Canada
39 Posts

Profile of MMark
I think the TT is an amazing visual trick that uses very little pocket space. It never fails to stun (but then again, I'd never been accused of using a "plastic thumb").

I'm still new to this, but I've observed that people enjoy the classic/basic tricks just as much (if not more so) than elaborate tricks. Thanks for all the great posts!

Mark
dlachance
View Profile
Veteran user
Mississippi
343 Posts

Profile of dlachance
Derrick....

I don't get it.... why the 'tude dude....

I wasnt bragging. I was just sharing my experience with the TT and the fact that exposure has not hurt the effect.

Not sure why you chose to be a smarty pants about it.....

All the best,
Dorian
-Dorian LaChance
MrPrestoHypno
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of MrPrestoHypno
I like using Jay Berry's TT, makes for a great reproduction.

enjoy
Rick
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I don't use it for walk round, but I do a streamer vanish at every kid's show I do and have never had anyone catch me with it even though some kids have asked me about TTs after the show. They'll tell me they got one in a magic kit and wonder if I ever used one. I think the give away for laymen is when they see the magician poke the silk down with the thumb. I never do that. I use the move where the first finger shifts the gimmick's position and it is stolen from the back (I think it is Vernon's handling) or I use the TT like a dye tube.

The only reason I don't do it walk around situations is because I seem to be cursed with silks that wrinkle into knots after one use. I don't know if it is the weather or my hands or the type of silk I use, but when I take the silk out of the gimmick it is not just wrinkled, but bunched up like a balled up piece of typing paper.

Thanks,
Richard
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20498 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Don't forget to look into using the Walk-around Silk to Egg. It is more than just a vanish, it resets and adds a whole new dimension to the routine. AND... it uses real 18" square silks!

I kept the secret for 35 years for a reason!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
Dorian,

I don't have any reason to doubt your routine isn't great. No attitude was intended. I was being silly and just trying to make a funny. See the smiley Smile at the end? I'm truly sorry if it reads that way. I just figured someone would come back with a, oh yea, I have 6 phase routine, then 8 etc. etc. like the irritating girl skit on Saturday Night Live where she always has to one up everybody in the room.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20498 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I have one up on everyone because you two guys are my friends!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- Why don't we meet in Eureka Springs in March?
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Silk vanish (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL