The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » I'm NOT a bum (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ Seattle
1050 Posts

Profile of Nash
I'll spare you the whole story, but *** this is ****ing me off.

Tonight, I saw my regular customer, he was thrilled to see me and waved me over to his table. Before I start, some girl reached into her wallet for 2 dollars, gave them to me and tell me don't ever come back.
The rest of the table were laughing so I thought she was joking. So I playfully asked her name and let her know I would jot that down for future reference. But then I realize she wasn't a joking. She told me each person in the table is her family and if ever see them again, don't come near them.

I was ready to let her have it. But I kept my mouth shut, pulled out that meager 2 dollars, put it on the table and tell her to keep it. I let her know I don't take money if I haven't performed for you. I walked away and tried my hardest to not open my mouth.

Her boyfriend later came over to apologize for her. I told him "its ok, I'm not mad at you, its just that I'm not a bum. Don't throw money at me and tell me to go away"

I don't play that game son. If you gonna play that game, throw down a $50 then we'll talk. Just caz we are doing table side magic, it doesn't mean we are bums begging for money.

Later on her boyfriend went out for a smoke and she told him to stay near the window where she can see him. Some people just puzzles me.
Don't give up, don't EVER give up.

Corporate magician - Nash Fung
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2913 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Sounds like this girl is a nutjob. Plain and simple. She seems like the type to get off to making other people miserable. Her boyfriend will either not stick around or go through hell for the rest of his life.

I would have said, "keep the $2, you earned it through hard work standing on that corner." Just me... (not really, but that would be sweet)

I guess, "you couldn't pay me to stay away from you," would be more appropriate.
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Easier said than done, but don't worry about it. It's obvious she embarrassed a lot of people that night. I'm sure it's not the first time she's done something similar to this, and I can assure you it won't be the last.

Besides, at least she told you to get away BEFORE you performed. Smile

Best.
Steve
Bruce Meyers
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Bruce Meyers
Nash, I've seen you work and you perform with dignity. Don't let the imperceptive redefine you.... even though in this case it was your mom.
;-)

Best Regards,
Bruce
Never believe your own press.
Adam1975
View Profile
Special user
UK
895 Posts

Profile of Adam1975
Im not a bum! didn't Gus Gorman say those very words in Superman III ? Smile
Ive upped my standards.Now,up yours!
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ Seattle
1050 Posts

Profile of Nash
Yes Bruce, too bad it was my mom. Smile
And yes, dignity is important. If you don't respect yourself, no one will.

I hope this doesn't happen to any of you guys. And if it does, I hope you choose wisely between tip money and your respect.
Unless that money is you know, a $50 dollar bill Smile
Don't give up, don't EVER give up.

Corporate magician - Nash Fung
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
That's quiet the storry Nash, this is something I never could imagine happining.
I must congratulate you on keeping your composure tho, that would of been very difficult to do but shows the profssional in you.

Daren
Twitter @darjames
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Man, the come back lines for this chick could be priceless! "2 bucks?????, Tough night on the pole (corner, back, etc etc) huh"? I reckon there's a good reason I'm not worker! Smile
gician
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of gician
The real trick is definitely keeping your composure. I had a twenty something broad give me a similar response in almost the same situation without even the two bucks. I never wanted to punch someone in the mouth so bad in my life. To some people, magicians are either a bother or a threat. It's unfortunate, but something in their past must have made them this way.
echomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of echomagic
Quite frankly, I consider something like that a challenge to change her/their mind about you and magic. I'll bet the reason that she was mad was because she thought you were ignoring them (?).

Whatever the reason, always take the high road. Everyone else in the restaurant will respect you for doing just that. Sounds like you handled it the best you could.
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
This may be too much, but I wonder what she would think if you took one of the dollars and changed it into a hundred, then said "Thanks very much!". I bet those with her would wish you would stick around!
Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2320 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
A couple weeks ago I had a rude situation similar to that. I had just finished performing at a table, everyone was having a lot of fun in that particular group. Wrapped everything up, thanked them, and walked on my merry way, I was walking past a table, did not even make eye contact with anyone, had not even stopped to ask them, and the dad says loudly "NO THANK YOU!" It felt very personal, but I kept my composure. I just turned around and looked at him puzzled, and then kept walking. Some people are just rude down to the core.
ttorres
View Profile
Special user
Rock Hill, SC
513 Posts

Profile of ttorres
I can remember a similar situation that happened to me years ago. I was working a restaurant that I had be at for a few years. When I approached a two topper with a man and a woman having drinks before dinner. The gentleman was very receptive and it was obvious that he wanted to see some magic. However, his companion was having no part of it. She appeared to be a very unhappy person , rude and very much in need to possess every second of her dates attention. So I just thanked them for having dinner with us tonight and hoped that they would return soon.

I moved on to a table right next to these and began my show. I wanted to make sure that the guest at this table had a really good time. So I put everything I had into my performance and at the end I made the two little girls each a very elaborate balloon flower. Once I finished I thanked them and moved on. Well, after seeing the balloon flowers the very rude lady actually called me over to her table and asked if she could have one of those flowers like I had made for the two little girls at the table next to hers. I very politely said “no”.

That may not have been the correct way to handle things but it was oh so satisfying.
...the magic that creates Memories!
JIMclubber64
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of JIMclubber64
Quote:
On 2009-08-29 01:16, Nash wrote:
Just caz we are doing table side magic, it doesn't mean we are bums begging for money.

What?!! You mean this isn't the Table Beggers and Party Crashers Forum? Darn it, I've been on the wrong website all this time, and I didn't even know it! Smile
"Magic should always have a purpose. [...] Find your purpose for performing. Only then will you be able to find the right trick!" -- Jay Noblezada
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
Things I might have said when she handed me the 2 dollars: "Thank you, I'll check on your order personally, you were having the "testicle salad," right?" or "Just 2 bucks? The other night you gave me a twenty & said I was the best you ever had!"

Then,when the guy came over to apologize I might of said something like: "Don't worry about it, could be a lot worse; I could be dating her!" But then I never knew when to keep my big mouth shut!
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
The woman from messge one is obviously a jerk, pure and simple, not much you can do about it. Admittedly odd behavior though.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
gician
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of gician
Sir Richard - You're my hero.-& way to go ttorres.
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1442 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
Did you ever perform and then have a casual conversation with a customer and they say, That was great Magic, then ask "So what do you do for living?"

Well I,m a full time Magician

"No Really, What do you do for a living?"

Some people just cannot believe anyone can make a living performing Magic.
The Big Q
View Profile
New user
Sydney, Australia
49 Posts

Profile of The Big Q
I always find 20 something women the worst. Although I've never had anything that full on, it is always the 20 something female who tries to turn the card, comment on how it was done, grab the equipment, etc.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5699 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Quote:
On 2009-08-30 04:13, The Big Q wrote:
I always find 20 something women the worst. Although I've never had anything that full on, it is always the 20 something female who tries to turn the card, comment on how it was done, grab the equipment, etc.

I think that WOMEN in general regardless of age tend to be this way.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » I'm NOT a bum (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL