We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Witnessed a Horrifying Death! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
715 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
Peter,

Keep the faith... Life has many strange twists.

Dave
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Quote:
On 2009-09-02 00:51, Michaelmystic2003 wrote:
Peter, I've looked all over and have not found any articles or news coverage on this event... I'm not implying that I don't believe it happened, I just found this to be strange. Do you have a source for an article or something along those lines?

First, bad taste to question the validity of this.

Next, in the Toronto area, there are a number of popular places for people to commit suicide. One, are the bridges over the DVP where Peter's incident took place and hence the suicide prevention screen built on one of the bridges (Bloor St.) and the other is at TTC subway stations.

The media and companies involved in keeping these places running, have agreed to NOT publicize the suicides that occur in these two places. Their rationale is that it would only advertise a good place to end your life and may actually encourage others to do it and therefore increase the number of suicides taking place there already.

All you will hear when an incident like this occurs (unless there are extraordinary circumstances) is something like the DVP is closed with a police investigation going on or that the TTC is closed between station X and station Y until Z o'clock for track maintenance or some other benign reason.

Neither of these two particular spots advertise their suicide numbers, but some who are in the know, have put it as high as 2 or 3 a month.

Every once in while, the safety (suicide) barrier debate will rise in the media. A fence/barrier for the DVP overpasses and a wall/barrier to keep people from throughing themselves in front of subway trains.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2910 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Quote:
On 2009-09-08 13:07, RJE wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-09-02 00:51, Michaelmystic2003 wrote:
Peter, I've looked all over and have not found any articles or news coverage on this event... I'm not implying that I don't believe it happened, I just found this to be strange. Do you have a source for an article or something along those lines?

First, bad taste to question the validity of this.

Next, in the Toronto area, there are a number of popular places for people to commit suicide. One, are the bridges over the DVP where Peter's incident took place and hence the suicide prevention screen built on one of the bridges (Bloor St.) and the other is at TTC subway stations.

The media and companies involved in keeping these places running, have agreed to NOT publicize the suicides that occur in these two places. Their rationale is that it would only advertise a good place to end your life and may actually encourage others to do it and therefore increase the number of suicides taking place there already.

All you will hear when an incident like this occurs (unless there are extraordinary circumstances) is something like the DVP is closed with a police investigation going on or that the TTC is closed between station X and station Y until Z o'clock for track maintenance or some other benign reason.

Neither of these two particular spots advertise their suicide numbers, but some who are in the know, have put it as high as 2 or 3 a month.

Every once in while, the safety (suicide) barrier debate will rise in the media. A fence/barrier for the DVP overpasses and a wall/barrier to keep people from throughing themselves in front of subway trains.

Excuse me, but did you even read my post? I didn't doubt it or question its validity at all... I merely stated I couldn't find any news coverage and was requesting to see some if anybody had it or knew where to find it. My apologies if that was unclear.
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
I read your post and addressed it. You said it was strange that there was nothing written about it. (Which could be construed as doubting validity.) I explained why suicides are not covered at these locations. It is just common knowledge for most people in the GTA.

However, this would definitely not be the thread to argue over it and you certainly don't owe me any apologies.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2910 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
That is true... apparently my wording was unclear.
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
zwong
View Profile
New user
Australia
83 Posts

Profile of zwong
I don't know you personally, Peter, and I cannot even pretend that I understand what you and your family went through. I feel sorry that this happened.

However, I recently read an article that might be worth your while reading through. It's written to address the problem in Australia, but it might just be similar where you're from.

http://www.medicine.utas.edu.au/teaching......Game.pdf
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Witnessed a Horrifying Death! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL