The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » My last post regarding pumps - very happy! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
Thanks to the referral from scruffy the clown on this very site, I ordered a mini mac pump. I called Tuesday morning to see if it could be shipped that day. My order was placed and shipped, and arrived as scheduled on Friday. I used it for a gig today, my first real public gig actually, and I love love love this thing. I cannot imagine what I would have to do to break this thing. It's a "mini" but unless you're filling mostly 646's, I cannot see why you'd need something bigger. (It fills those with a few pumps too.) In fact, the action of the pump was enough to impress several onlookers, it was if the hats were a bonus.
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
Do you have a link to the mini mac pump?
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
Scruffy the Clown
View Profile
Loyal user
Coldwater,MI
233 Posts

Profile of Scruffy the Clown
Rev, I am glad that you like it! I think they are pretty hard to beat.I've had mine for two years now. It's never failed me. It weighs in at a measly four and a half pounds. I carry in my pump and my Apron and I'm ready to go. Also, for me If I need a repair, it's a thirty minute drive.
Yep, I'm a Macpump guy.
toomuchmagic
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of toomuchmagic
Mini-mac's are great...

but I still swear by my filbert....
coma185
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of coma185
Toomuchmagic, do you have both a mini-mac and filbert? I'm thinking of buying a floor pump and can't decide which to get. I'm 5'10" and am a little worried I'll have to bend over to pump the filbert. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
Quote:
On 2009-08-29 18:26, revlovejoy wrote:
I cannot imagine what I would have to do to break this thing.

Unfortunately I didn't need to use my imagination. This was a few years ago. Andy used to not screw the cylinder into the base. It fell out and the top cracked and broke off entirely. Andy's customer service is very good and he took all my suggestions for improvement. He also offered to fix my pump for free. Unfortunately I never got around to shipping it back and now it is sitting in my sister's garage across the country in AZ.

I don't think there is much contest between Andy's new models and a Filbert. The filbert feels like a toy. Andy will adjust the Mac to your height.
Jeff Wright
www.WrightEntertainment.biz
Voted Best Party Entertainer in Cleveland, Nickelodeon Parents' Picks Awards
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Ok, I just had my hand pump break on me. I had this version:
http://www.tannens.com/shop/cart.php?m=s......oon+pump

It did me good for a long time; but after going to an even lesser pump; I found
that I get through balloons faster with blowing through my mouth. Problem is,
that after the 20 something child, I am like; where is the pump.

So I saw this thread which struck me due to the above said events.

So...

Are these faster than blowing up with your mouth?
and...
What about using electric pumps in comparison?
The ones you where around your waist. (and where can you get them?).

Thanks
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
Coma 185 I have A filbert And love it I'm 5'10" no prob.

Solrak, the filbert is as fast as mouth inflating, but it takes some getting use to going from mouth to pump.

I'm not a fan of electric pumps, loud, slow, when the batt. dies your done. I made some and stopped using them. on the good side they are compact.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
Hey Pokie I'm with you. I wore out a Balloon Bouy and went to a Filbert. I love the thing. My electric pump would go for a couple hours or I would forget to charge it and I was left mouth inflating. I have to say though I'd like to give that spring loaded Mac pump a try. Looks pretty cool.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1853 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
I switched to mouth inflation only...

I heard to many comments about "Hey your cheating" using a pump...

I soon realized that blowinbg the balloons up by mouth was part of the show.

I also realized I could blow them up just as fats as a pump anyways..

If you can blow them up by mouth safely just do it
coma185
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of coma185
Just ordered a Mini Mac and can't wait to get it!
Steve Yarosko
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Steve Yarosko
Kevinr,

I went the other direction a couple years ago. I used to mouth inflate only. Now I use a pump most of the time. I mouth inflate 350s and 646s, but use a pump for 160s and 260s except if I am only going to be putting in just a puff of air. When I get the "your cheating" line, I can honestly say, "I used to mouth inflate only, but I got older and wiser, but I'm not sure which came first." I also find people are impressed with my Filbert pump, especially if they have any experience with a hand pump. I'm not saying my way is better than yours. I want to make sure I don't leave that impression. To each his/her own and what works for them.
MiketheMagicDude
View Profile
Loyal user
CT
270 Posts

Profile of MiketheMagicDude
What I do not understand Kevin is why you always try to pass off what YOU do as FACT that everyone should do.

Is it really cheating to use a pump? Do people really say that to you? Is it cheating to use any tool that accomplishes something that you could potentially do with your own body? Do you really feel it is necessary to prove yourself even if it was? Is it "cheating" to cook with an electric oven when you could start a fire? Is it cheating to use a hammer, typewriter, motor vehicle, treadmill, bottle opener, fork and knife, etc. etc.

As far as being "part of the show"...Do you know that people are just as impressed with my pump as they are when I mouth inflate? Even today I had several people awe and gasp when I used it and one kid even specifically asked that I use it for his balloon because I had been mouth inflating the last couple of balloons.

"EVERYONE" blows up balloons with their mouths..."NO ONE" has a pump like mine. I don't even use it all the time, but I have it with me...and I will never say that you HAVE to use one, or you HAVE TO mouth inflate. It matters not.

Bottom Line:
YOU must be the show; Not your methods.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1853 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2009-10-17 13:51, Steve Yarosko wrote:
Kevinr,

I went the other direction a couple years ago. I used to mouth inflate only. Now I use a pump most of the time. I mouth inflate 350s and 646s, but use a pump for 160s and 260s except if I am only going to be putting in just a puff of air. When I get the "your cheating" line, I can honestly say, "I used to mouth inflate only, but I got older and wiser, but I'm not sure which came first." I also find people are impressed with my Filbert pump, especially if they have any experience with a hand pump. I'm not saying my way is better than yours. I want to make sure I don't leave that impression. To each his/her own and what works for them.

I don't thunk there is a correct answer what ever works.. This has just been my situation. Very true.. However you have been doing balloons much longer than me. So you probably know better..

I do worry about all the strange medical issues Mark Bryne listed from mouth inflating.. What funny is Mark only blows balloons up by mouth as well though... Many of the big names in teh balloon world (Don Caldwell and others mentioned) appear to mouth inflate..

But I say what ever works best for you.

God Bless,

Thanks guys.

Quote:
On 2009-10-17 22:31, MiketheMagicDude wrote:
What I do not understand Kevin is why you always try to pass off what YOU do as FACT that everyone should do.

Is it really cheating to use a pump? Do people really say that to you? Is it cheating to use any tool that accomplishes something that you could potentially do with your own body? Do you really feel it is necessary to prove yourself even if it was? Is it "cheating" to cook with an electric oven when you could start a fire? Is it cheating to use a hammer, typewriter, motor vehicle, treadmill, bottle opener, fork and knife, etc. etc.

As far as being "part of the show"...Do you know that people are just as impressed with my pump as they are when I mouth inflate? Even today I had several people awe and gasp when I used it and one kid even specifically asked that I use it for his balloon because I had been mouth inflating the last couple of balloons.

"EVERYONE" blows up balloons with their mouths..."NO ONE" has a pump like mine. I don't even use it all the time, but I have it with me...and I will never say that you HAVE to use one, or you HAVE TO mouth inflate. It matters not.

Bottom Line:
YOU must be the show; Not your methods.

Umm.. What?.. Are you serious?

I am not following you... Yes I and I think many others have heard the comment "hey your cheating (as they chuckle) In fact if you by the "101 One Liners" balloon book the there has to be atleast 3 joke alone to mention this.

I was giving my experince not meant in ANY negative fashion please read comment just before this one.. As I just responded. Is my experince facts? Well I guess they are the fact of my life. (Hey wasn't that the name of a t.v. show.. HA)

On another note I think how you look, act, the methods you use in magic or ballooons or any source of art is and always has been a part of your show.

Glad to see the pump is working for you. I own a Side Kick Electric and a Filbert both and both sit and collect dust..

However as previously stated maybe as I get older and wiser in this craft of balloon art I may have to switch but for know the experinces I have had or as you are calling them facts..

I have chosen to mouth inflate.

More speed:

I just can simply blow them up faster than a pump.

More Show: (appear to be more skillful)

Many times I hear "Wow, all the people I have seen use a pump that's amazing.." or other similar comments

I think these two above reasons translates into more tips and more money when I work.

Is it the best way? I don't know but for now it works for me..

Do what works for you...

Just have fun
Steve Yarosko
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Steve Yarosko
Kevinr,

I am glad that I put the "to each his/her own" comment on my last post. I didn't want to get misunderstood that I was saying the pump was better. There are good reasons to use either method. If your performance style lends better to mouth inflating ...more (lung) power to you. Also, I don't really think that I am wiser to use a pump. I just use that line to nip the "Your Cheating" line in the bud. It works every time.
Rob the Balloon Guy
View Profile
New user
West Hartford, CT
96 Posts

Profile of Rob the Balloon Guy
I have found that no matter what you do, people will question it.

Whenever I use a pump, people ask me why I'm not mouth inflating.

Whenever I mouth inflate, people tell me that I should get a pump.

The only solution I can think of is to alternate between a pump and mouth inflating every other balloon.
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Quote:
On 2009-10-16 22:00, Kevinr wrote:
If you can blow them up by mouth safely just do it

Just curious, what does this mean? And where is Mike Byrne's list of health
concerns with mouth inflating?

I found mouth inflating much faster and impressive, but....

I borrowed a friends pump which is simiar to the mac and filbert and found it
pretty fast, but not as fast as mouth inflating. Plus, the kids want to use the
pump (they went crazy over it, it was sooo cool), they all wanted to pump the
balloon themselves (grant it with my help).

So now I see several choices:

• mini-mac (whats up with all the fixes and extra stuff you have to buy?)
  • filbert
  • electric
  • mouth

It seems to me from a costs standpoint that the filbert seems the way to go?
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
I haven't had to buy anything extra for my mini-mac, except the stickers I chose to put on it.

The fix-up stories, I believe, all came from earlier models and the maker changed an element apparently to prevent that issue again.
coma185
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of coma185
Rev, who would have thought your post giving props to a pump would cause such controversy!!! To each his own and everyone's market is different so what goes in one area may not go in another. "Can't we all just get along?" LOL
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » My last post regarding pumps - very happy! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL