The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Going on a Cruise (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I leave in about 5 hours for a 7 Night Carnival Cruise (vactation not work). I wanted to try and do a bit of networking while on board. I've always wanted to break into this industry and was curious if any of you Cruise Pro's out here could send me in the right direction.

Once on board, who would I speak to? Just curious...

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
748 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
I have been on several cruises (for pleasure) over the past two years and on one cruise (NCL) to Alaska I found out the activity schedule in advance and discovered that the last night they had a talent night. I naturally entered and was well received by the audience who came up to me for the rest of the cruise and shook my hand and made me feel like a celebrity. I didn't win the talent contest--a comedian with off color jokes won. The judging was done by a panel from the cruise director's office. They videoed the whole show and said that this is how they find talent for the cruises. I wasn't interested in following up, but if I had, it would have been the Cruise Director I would have talked to. I would try contacting that person if I were you.

Bon Voyage!
Charlie
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Thanks charlie
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
suspectacts
View Profile
Elite user
Boston
493 Posts

Profile of suspectacts
Yup the CD or assistant CD are the right people, but honestly, the on-board staff is way too busy and often not empowered to suggest talent to the home office.

Your best bet is to track down one off the guest entertainers (like the magician, if they have one) and do some research to find out if this is the right market for you. Then put together your best packet and send it in to the home office.

And don't forget to enjoy your time in the Caribbean.

peter
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2009-08-31 11:13, suspectacts wrote:
And don't forget to enjoy your time in the Caribbean.

peter

Probably the most productive use of your time right here.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
No one's ever going to get hired from the talent show. Acts are booked through agents (usually) through the cruise lines offices which are usually in Miami.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On 2009-08-31 00:36, Christopher Lyle wrote:
I leave in about 5 hours for a 7 Night Carnival Cruise (vactation not work). I wanted to try and do a bit of networking while on board. I've always wanted to break into this industry and was curious if any of you Cruise Pro's out here could send me in the right direction.

Once on board, who would I speak to? Just curious...

Christopher

Oh the irony.

Have fun on the cruise. Wear sunscreen.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Networking is always good.... Never hurts to meet people!
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
What you are suggesting is equivalent to saying, 'I'm going to the theatre and was wondering who I'd see about becoming an actor.'

Greg's and Peter's posts above give concise advice re the 'direction' you are looking for. Smile

And it's usually a pleasent experience to meet new people even if you're not 'networking'.

Have a great time on your cruise.

Neal
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Christopher -

On some of the older threads on Cruise Ship Magic, this resource was highly endorsed:

--> Cruise Ship Magician's Handbook, by Fred Becker

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
One of the most comprhensive guides (recent) to performing on cruises, and getting the work is Paul Romhany's book. Do a search on here for it

It covers all the bases, including a listing of al the cruise lines and contact info. It is very recent AND not expensive!

This should be a MUST HAVE for anyone that wants to work as a PROFESSIONAL entertainer, ANYWHERE. Not just in the cruise industry. You have to read the book to understand this point.

Blair Marshall
RebelEntertainer
View Profile
New user
John Abrams
73 Posts

Profile of RebelEntertainer
I just did an interview with Paul Boland. He's an impressionist that's been working the cruise lines for some 17 years. It's a 2 CD set. Here's the link if you're interested: http://www.shop.rebelentertainer.com/product.sc?productId=6 .

Have fun on your cruise!!!
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Remember, who the passengers are on these cruise ships.... Lots of executives, business owners and HR managers. When I took my mother on a cruise for her birthday, I met one of the executives of Subway and couple corporate planners which lead to work. So, always network and speak highly of your services.

Also, the airplane is a great place to meet people too... I once got a booking from a box manufacture and booked a show in Asia as I was returning from Asia, the guy sitting next to me saw one of my 35 shows and said he would love me for his staff events...
My friend it is about meeting people!

However, I think the best way to book a cruise job is to properly marketing to them as advised from others, the books and contact list are a great start!

"Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way round or through it"
Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
Just finishex working a cruise (im in the airport now on my phone). I have to say its not what you think. I loved it but here is the deal. Im 25 single no wife no gilfriend no kids. don't have a dog only cae insurance to pay. With that said I loved it. But I'm prepared to live with no tv and barely any internet. a room the size of my cars back seat. I workes on a smaller ship. Im working my way up anx hopefully heading back in a month for a 3 month contract. If you think your jumping on a royal or large ship think again. The staff has been on board for months. When I got there I realized I was performing completely surrounded. I had to change everything. Goodluck but think about it first.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Well, I'm back from my cruise! Wow! What a whirlwind week! Whew! Still trying to catch my breath.

Per everyone's advice, I sought out the Cruise Director. This is probably the busiest (and most talented) person on the planet. He's not only the Cruise Director, but he's also an Entertainer on the ship. One night, he played a mean country fiddle, the next night he did stand up comedy, the next night he played classical violin, and on the final night, he put one of the most amazing juggling demonstrations that I've ever seen (and I've seen alot). As if that wasn't enough, he was also the host of 2 gameshows on board.

He does everything I mentioned above PLUS he's the voice of the ship, is in charge of the nightly newspaper that all the passengers get under their door letting us all know the schedule for the following day, books all the ships outside entertainment, plus a buttload of other stuff I'm sure we don't even know about.

With all that said, I was able to pick his brain for about 5 mintues one day. I simply told him who I was and what I did and he gave me the name, telephone number and the email address for the person who I would need to speak with. He was very forthcoming with the information which was something I didn't expect.

So I've got a contact and was able to do some other networking while on board which was my goal. I have no clue if this is something that I want to venture into as I don't know how this aniaml even works.

There were two outside acts that were brought in to perform...both Stand Up Comedians, on different nights. After speaking to them both, it seems like their deal is they bounce from ship to ship for a few weeks and then they have a few weeks off...then rinse and repeat.

It sounds like (an uneducated guess here) that's what would be going on if I were to get booked to perform on a ship as I wouldn't be an offical part of their crew.

They ship I was on had a revue show with singers and dancers (LOTS OF CHEESE...REALLY BAD) and then the Cruise director...so between the "on board acts" and the two comedians, that was the entertainment. I spoke with some of the dancers (who also do other things around the ship such as running activites) and some of them said they live on the ship and they haven't been home in over 6 months. WOW!

I hope that's NOT how it would be for me...but then I don't know.

I plan to do my research and read up on the books that have been mentioned above. Thanks again for everyone's help as I venture into a new arena of Magic. Fun, Exciting, and Scary....ooooooH! = )

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Not sure how Carnival operates these days but I worked for them in the early 90s. I was a staff entertainer, which meant I was considered an employee rather than a contracted entertainer (guest entertainer) and I had other duties (MC for bingo, assisted on tours, etc.) I was expected to stay at least three months at a time, although I usually worked at least four months straight. The comedians you met are what are known as "fly-ons." They work a ship a few days, get off at the next port and fly to another ship for a few days. A good friend of mine has been doing this since the early 90s. It allows him to be home two days a week but it's a brutal flying schedule. (He's out of Tennessee.)

The dancers, when I was there, were on 9 month contracts. They often used British dancers so they weren't even home when they were in Miami!

Michael
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
NICE job Christopher
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On 2009-09-07 15:20, Christopher Lyle wrote:
Well, I'm back from my cruise! Wow! What a whirlwind week! Whew! Still trying to catch my breath.

Per everyone's advice, I sought out the Cruise Director. This is probably the busiest (and most talented) person on the planet. He's not only the Cruise Director, but he's also an Entertainer on the ship. One night, he played a mean country fiddle, the next night he did stand up comedy, the next night he played classical violin, and on the final night, he put one of the most amazing juggling demonstrations that I've ever seen (and I've seen alot). As if that wasn't enough, he was also the host of 2 gameshows on board.

He does everything I mentioned above PLUS he's the voice of the ship, is in charge of the nightly newspaper that all the passengers get under their door letting us all know the schedule for the following day, books all the ships outside entertainment, plus a buttload of other stuff I'm sure we don't even know about.

With all that said, I was able to pick his brain for about 5 mintues one day. I simply told him who I was and what I did and he gave me the name, telephone number and the email address for the person who I would need to speak with. He was very forthcoming with the information which was something I didn't expect.

So I've got a contact and was able to do some other networking while on board which was my goal. I have no clue if this is something that I want to venture into as I don't know how this aniaml even works.

There were two outside acts that were brought in to perform...both Stand Up Comedians, on different nights. After speaking to them both, it seems like their deal is they bounce from ship to ship for a few weeks and then they have a few weeks off...then rinse and repeat.

It sounds like (an uneducated guess here) that's what would be going on if I were to get booked to perform on a ship as I wouldn't be an offical part of their crew.

They ship I was on had a revue show with singers and dancers (LOTS OF CHEESE...REALLY BAD) and then the Cruise director...so between the "on board acts" and the two comedians, that was the entertainment. I spoke with some of the dancers (who also do other things around the ship such as running activites) and some of them said they live on the ship and they haven't been home in over 6 months. WOW!

I hope that's NOT how it would be for me...but then I don't know.

I plan to do my research and read up on the books that have been mentioned above. Thanks again for everyone's help as I venture into a new arena of Magic. Fun, Exciting, and Scary....ooooooH! = )

Christopher

Good job, Christopher.

See, contacting a business with other performers/magicians/comedians etc isn't so vomit-inducing after all is it?

Welcome to the dark side and I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise! ;-)
DaveRobison
View Profile
New user
Mobile, Alabama
36 Posts

Profile of DaveRobison
I'm new here on the forum. I originally joined for the Ventriloquist Forum, "I'm a real boy", but find the Tricky Business section highly enjoyable and have been methodically sifting through the 114 pages.

The Frank Becker book and another resource were mentioned in some earlier threads seem to be no longer available. Anybody know where they could be acquired. Also I can't remember the other magician/author's name.

Both books seem to be highly regarded here on the forum, but the authors seem to be Google deficient in presence.

Thanks for any help, in advance.

Dave
I live on Facebook. Come visit me, I get lonely.
LVMagicAL
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of LVMagicAL
You can find the Fred Becker Cruise Magicians Handbook here: http://www.fredbecker.com/page19.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Going on a Cruise (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL