The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Promoting (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
Hello,

I have been hired for 2 daycare show. I was just wondering if it was ok to tell the kids I do Birthday Party and they can ask the educators for buisness cards. Or just to tell there parents.

So what do you think?

Thanks
Dare to Dream...
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
I suggest a casual mention to the children. "Kids at Birthdays love this trick". Of course if you have been performing for children for any length of time you probably should have something that they can take home with them with your information.

Just out of curiosity where in Canada are you?
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
752 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
The Big Dollar (I have the old one) is great
the kids get something to take home that teaches them a magic trick
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
696 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
This past July I did quite a few day care shows including a month long workshop which concluded with a show performed by the students for their parents. I give away coloring sheets, Magic dollars like Mikeclay suggests, and discount coupons for birthday shows. I let the kids know that I also do birthday party shows which are even more fun than the show I do for them at the day care.

I think the thing to remember, though, is that booking you for a birthday party is not a priority with the kids or the parents, and you will soon be forgotten in spite of all the giveaways. Like it or not, I think you have to followup with them by means of a newsletter or some other reminder for best results.

Keeping the day care supplied with some type of information either placed on the check-in counter or in the kid's "cubbie" (with the school's permission) would be a great idea. If I learned nothing else from my sales experiences, it is Persistence.

Charlie
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
Quote:
On 2009-08-31 18:11, Ryan Price wrote:

Just out of curiosity where in Canada are you?

I'm in New Brunswick...

And thanks a lot for the information. MikeClay, I think I will do the Big Dollar thing, I like the idea.

Thanks
Dare to Dream...
jackturk
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of jackturk
I also like the casual mention thing. One way to do this is when you're doing a routine, kick it off with something like, "Now we're going to do something that I do for birthday parties, and it's always a lot of fun."

Leaving behind cards, flyers, etc. is definitely a great idea as well.

--Jack
"59 Ways To Recession Proof Your Entertainment Business -- FREE!"
http://www.GetLeadsLikeCrazy.com

"How To Make $25,000 a Year Doing Birthday Parties Part-Time"
http://www.magicmarketingcenter.com/birthdayPT
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of stempleton
I always make casual mention of what I do, but when the children come by to see the bunny after the show (my finale) I make sure I have plenty of postcards that feature the bunny's picture. They all want one, and it has information on birthday parties, etc. True, they may not care about the birthday party, but they all love the bunny pic.
JeffWampler
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, TN
191 Posts

Profile of JeffWampler
Wow, the guys pretty much took care of this one. I'll chime in, in agreement and just state again that you should always give the kids something to take home that has your name, number, and website on it.

I really like coloring sheets for daycares because sometimes younger ones can't or won't try to do the magic tricks. Also, a colored sheet goes right on the 'fridge where good ol' mom can see it as she's grabbing dad another budweiser...
Oscar999
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
Giving something of perceived value is always preferable than say, just passing out your biz card ... however, getting your card in the hands of the parents is still very important!

I've heard performers do the casual mention thing tons of times and it has never struck me as inappropriate so I would go for it.

Best of luck with your SHOW!

Oscar
Chris LaBarge
View Profile
Regular user
Upstate New York
134 Posts

Profile of Chris LaBarge
Coloring pages are definitely the way to go with kids this age and it would be best it it reminded them of the show...keep it relevent.
Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
I really like that coloring pages idea! Anyone know's where I can get some??? Magician theamed? Or any idea?

Thanks
Dare to Dream...
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
There are tons of websites with magic themed coloring pages. Try googling
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Bradley Roberts
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas
413 Posts

Profile of Bradley Roberts
The magic themed coloring page with your information or the big dollar bill works great for daycares. You may even get a nice post card done up and ask if you can leave them at the front desk. I have never had them say no.
B-Rad "The Kids Magician"
Brad Kids Magic Website
"A child's smile is one of life's greatest blessings."
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2484 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
I found the best magic coloring pages to be the ones in my magic coloring book. I bought extras both styles of the magic one as I did not want the clowns.

I took them apart and photo copied them then used them as hand outs. I also took some and printed on 11x17 then stapled together in the center fold over and Voila my own coloring book. One other tip was to have a picture of me taken and drawn into a color page for the inside and printed the outside in Color of the same picture.

I have been teaching this in my lecture Got Ideas for a while now and it works great

have fun

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Quote:
On 2009-10-01 16:38, Loyal R wrote:
I really like that coloring pages idea! Anyone know's where I can get some??? Magician theamed? Or any idea?

Thanks

I have a drawing of myself. If you have artistic abilities, do it yourself or get someone to do it for you. Worse comes to worse go to one of those kiosks machines that caricaturize you.
alexa
View Profile
Veteran user
NJ
393 Posts

Profile of alexa
OR call Angel Contreas http://www.art4clown.com

AMAZING, fab work! Cheap, too. HOWEVER: This guy is in demand. Be prepared to wait a loooooong looooooong time (or catch him at a convention!)

Alexa
Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
I found some magic themed coloring pages at this link: http://www.coolest-kid-birthday-parties.......ges.html

But to use them (well, give them to the kids) do we need the permission of the designing/website owner???

Thanks!
Dare to Dream...
Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
Never mind... I found their terms of use and they don't allow that. Anyone knows a website where we CAN use the coloring pages to give to the kids?
Dare to Dream...
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Best bet is to market to the day care centers in your area...
Three times a year
Jan - Just an introduction....

May - to remind them of you for their summer camps and summer programs

Sept/Oct - to catch the Halloween and winter holiday events
mkmager
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of mkmager
You might want to have the day care send a note with the kids saying that parents are welcome to join their children for the show. Not many will probably show, but you get to talk with the ones that do, and, not much effort involved.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Promoting (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL