The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Magnetic dime and penny set? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BHart24
View Profile
Regular user
San Jose, CA
112 Posts

Profile of BHart24
Hey all,

My searches have not turned up any answers to this question, so I figured I'd post it here. As the title of the post suggests, I'm wondering if anybody has come across a magnetic dime and penny set. I'll most likely get in touch with somebody like Todd Lassen about the possibility of making one up, but was wondering if there are any other sources. Thanks for the help!

Brian
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I haven't heard of one, perhaps because it may not be cost effective in that most coin guys don't use the effect (or small coins like dimes & pennies) and it might just cost too much to make simply for kids or passer-by's. The old locking set seems to have stood the test of time for what it is, which is a classic effect.

Scotch & Soda is the same sort of effect, a lot more popular and with larger, more visible coins involved. Now with that one, under such conditions, there absolutely is a magnetic set. Might be a lot easier and cheaper to just get that and use it like Dime & Penny. Good luck. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
BHart24
View Profile
Regular user
San Jose, CA
112 Posts

Profile of BHart24
Thanks so much for the reply. I honestly can't remember what application I would have for a magnetic set at the moment, just that I had been wondering this for a while. I do have a locking set, and just need to get a bang ring to make the reset easier.

Thanks again for your help!

Brian
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Brian -- you can get a bang ring separately from the coin set -- any magic store or $5 at the Magic Warehouse, click HERE to view.

Another option is to get a locking D&P set that DOESN'T need a bang ring. That would be the set from Royal Magic, also available from Magic Warehouse, click HERE for more info. You reset these coins by gently shaking them in a glass. If you use a shot glass for the reset, you can also store the coins in the glass (penny first, dime on top) and they won't accidentally lock on you. Also, you can "pour" the coins from the glass onto a close-up pad in a very natural manner when you begin the trick.

I have used both the Johnson and the Royal sets, and frankly, the Royal set is just as good and works just as well, at one-third the price. There is also a very good $10 companion Royal Magic DVD, "Amazing Tricks with a Scotch & Soda or Dime & Penny," with all the basic handlings as well as a few good sleights to supplement the self-working coin set. It also has a great routine with an oversized steel nut (75 cents in any hardware store); in my opinion, it's worth the entire price of the DVD. Click HERE to view. I have fried a lot of people with this, and it's easy to do, all you need is a finger palm and good timing.

Good luck, and welcome to the Café! BTW, I have no connection to the Magic Warehouse, other than being a customer for about six years and getting consistently reliable, fast service and good prices. Seth
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
BHart24
View Profile
Regular user
San Jose, CA
112 Posts

Profile of BHart24
Thanks for the info sethb!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Magnetic dime and penny set? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL