The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Stain/Shiv by Andrew Mayne (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wpt1031
View Profile
Loyal user
Toledo Ohio
237 Posts

Profile of wpt1031
Was hoping somebody was going to review Andrew Maynes newest dvd before I purchased it but alas I saw nothing on the forums so I thought I'd take the dive. Here's my review on Andrew Mayne's Stain/Shiv.

The Effects:
Stain - What can I say about this effect....its weird. Andrew says he was inspired by this effect from watching Japanese horror movies and it shows. Well the actual effect is your prediction is a bag containing a dark colored liquid (blood?). A spectator makes a choice of a word or a famous person to think about. A piece of paper is dropped into the bag and it’s given a shake. The liquid drips away revealing the thought of image or word. You can then give the bag and revelation away as a dark memento. Sounds freaky weird right? It is when you make the revelation the word or the famous person is just plain freaky weird. Andrew essentially compared to this being a modern day version of the spirit slates. Overall the effect is just plain weird but I like it quite a bit. This effect won't be for everyone but the ones who use it will get there moneys worth it really is just plain freaky and with halloween right around the corner well I can see it getting used alot. And only half of the gimmicks are provided though they are the more important ones as for the others you may already have them and if you don't it'll probably cost 5-8 dollars and will last you a while.

Shiv -A sharpened pencil is placed into one of four envelopes and then mixed up. A spectator is given a completely free choice. One-by-one, three envelopes are smashed into the heart, stomach and other vital areas of either you or the spectator – to no harm. The last envelope is ripped open to reveal the sharpened pencil. Now Andrew released something similar on his previous dvd Maynia. I haven't seen it but from what I hear the method is diffrent. This is probably the safest version of the russian roulette I've seen. Its cheap some #10 envelopes and a pencil your good to go. Overall I like due to the method being devilishly easy and simple.

Extras: The only real extra is this short movie Andrew made called "The Stain." Honestly not a fan didn't really the point of it but hey whatever.

Teaching: If you've ever seen any of Andrews previous work hes very in depth and this isn't any diffrent. Everything gets explained.

Overall: Two fine effects even though one is freaky weird. For only 19.95 at Andrew Maynes website I suggest getting it.
Zauberer
View Profile
New user
Clintwood, VA
49 Posts

Profile of Zauberer
I am considering this DVD. Have you performed the effects for a while now?
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
In stain, is it a free choice?

Regards,
Mike
wpt1031
View Profile
Loyal user
Toledo Ohio
237 Posts

Profile of wpt1031
Stain as I mentioned is very similiar to the Spirit Slates so to answer your question no it isn't a free choice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Stain/Shiv by Andrew Mayne (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL