The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Mikame Ball Con (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
kendavis
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of kendavis
Does anyone have any information about this automatic cup and ball routine? The video looks OK, and I understand that it is very versatile. I can not help but wonder about noise and angle problems. Any info would be helpful.
alcorm1
View Profile
New user
Lancaster NH
64 Posts

Profile of alcorm1
I have recently been wondering the same thing. I have watched the video several times and am interested in the product, but would really prefer to read some type of review or feedback prior to purchasing.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
This effect leaves me cold... The curtain should cover everything. Don't think you would want people looking down on it, though.

This could be based on an old Jack Hughes effect (though I am not familiar with it, so that's pure speculation.)

Bri
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24150 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There are certain mechanical aspects of this that are similar to the old Jack Hughes effect, but it would be very difficult to alter this in any significant way. The "table" needs to be slightly above the audience's sight line. The ball is permanently attached.

It could be made a bit more mystifying, but I agree with Bri. The effect leaves me cold.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bernie Balloons
View Profile
Elite user
N.Y.C.
480 Posts

Profile of Bernie Balloons
Where can I see the video?
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
How close can spectators get to the tray? The reason behind my question is that, psychologically, the reason for doing the C&Bs on a tray instead of onto the table seems to me to be to bring the cups from the table to the audience (and cancel out sleight of hand methods used earlier in the routine since, along the way, only one hand is used).
Thus, what is the minimum distance (approx)?
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24150 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
They can get fairly close to it, say about 2 meters, and they probably won't notice anything odd. Except, for the way you have to hold it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

magicelam
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee
366 Posts

Profile of magicelam
What do you guys mean by "leaves you cold?"

I think the effect looks good.
Mike
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24150 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2010-11-14 14:57, magicelam wrote:
What do you guys mean by "leaves you cold?"

I think the effect looks good.

Yes. In the video it looks good. I own it. In person, it leaves everyone cold.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2638 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Do you mean cold as in bad? Unimpressed?
It seems a little awkward to me, having to hold the tray like that (and above the eye line of the spectator.) I keep wanting him to lower the tray so I can see what's happening.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

"It leaves me cold" meaning - unimpressive or I have no enthusiasm for the effect at all.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2638 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
That's what I figured but had to check. Lance Burton's entire show left me cold but that's because I was in a t-shirt and shorts and the AC was blasting. The magic itself made me hot.
...maybe that was too much information.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

I'm saying nothing!
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2638 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I've already said too much. I'm giving up magic. Does anyone know if there's a Mime Café on the Internet?
I must say, I'd have enjoyed this more if the handling didn't seem slightly awkward; then again, if that's necessary for it to work then there's not much you can do. I can see how it *could* have certain applications, maybe in some sort of a walk around or parlor setting where no table is available? It seems like it could be difficult to get into it though, given the certain restrictions....
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24150 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Okay. I'll put it as bluntly as I can. It's a really stupid trick.

The handling is not slightly awkward. It's VERY awkward. It's difficult to manipulate everything that needs to be manipulated.

Don't waste your time on this one. Get something that you can do without the silly board.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18565 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24150 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Here's the rest of it. You MUST have the audience at an angle that keeps them from seeing anything but a brief glimpse of the working surface. The ball cannot actually be removed from the working surface. This could be fixed, but would not be easy for most performers to do.

It might be a good thing to use if you were presenting a three shell game sequence in a theatrical setting during a dance number, for example. But it will not stand up to any kind of scrutiny at all.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

So this is the one that you want to take with you in the thread Panlives started then bill? Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24150 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Yeah, right!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Mikame Ball Con (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL