The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Material Most Benefitted by Video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jhostler
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of jhostler
We've all heard the various arguments for and against the proliferation of video & DVD at the expense of studied reading, but I'm curious which recorded material you feel has most benefitted from the visual medium. In other words, which specific DVDs and videos generally contain material for which timing, sleights, performance nuances, angles, etc. are significantly better conveyed visually than through the written word? (Let me preempt anyone tempted to write off the question as pointless by emphasizing that I'm *already* a fan of Marshall McLuhan, but believe that certain mediums are better fit for teaching certain material!)

Cheers,

JMH
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5691 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Two of the most recent and obvious answers would be:

Visions Of Wonder for the insight into theory, philosophy, and how that integrates with technique, structure and framing.

On The Loose. Though less time is spent hi-liting the many awesome facets of Malone's performance, any who invest the time to study what and why he does exactlty, will be duely rewarded.

Tom
martyk
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of martyk
Hey guys,
A repet plea; when you mention an item (eg: "on the loose", please give the name of the creator too so one can locate the effect--or, where to get same.
Marty K
FZandura
View Profile
Loyal user
North Carolina
247 Posts

Profile of FZandura
Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Slights

I can pick up the handlings SO much quicker, than from reading a book w/ crude drawings or fuzzy photos.
Smile
F. Zandura
Jim Tighe
View Profile
Veteran user
West Virginia
360 Posts

Profile of Jim Tighe
Rope magic videos (ala Tabary). Remember Daryl's routine with the wall-size poster of still shots.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
I learn better, faster and easier "visually" (watching a video) than I do "cerebrally" (reading).

For me, learning moves, handling, TIMING and effects is better via a video; learning magic theory and presentation (etc.) is better via a book (where you can read a little, think a little, go back and re-read a little, think a little bit more, etc.).

There is a place for both and neither is mutually exclusive of the other in either area.

Just my two cents worth (and what works best for ME).

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2016 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
I said it before on another thread, but I'll say it again: If anything justifies learning magic from videos rather than books, it's rubber band magic. I will be blissfully happy to never again have to squint at another photo or drawing of a bunch of interconnected strands, trying to figure out which ones go over which, or have to slog through another sentence like, "Insert the right index finger into the uppermost loop formed by the strands coming off the left middle and ring fingers, to the right of the point where they cross, and move it to the left while simultaneously turning the left hand palm inward, causing the outer strands to slide backward over the..."

[I don't know how the sentence ends because that's the point where my eyes glaze over and I go back to working on card tricks.]

Quinn
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2003-06-25 03:37, Quinn wrote:
I said it before on another thread, but I'll say it again: If anything justifies learning magic from videos rather than books, it's rubber band magic. I will be blissfully happy to never again have to squint at another photo or drawing of a bunch of interconnected strands, trying to figure out which ones go over which, or have to slog through another sentence like, "Insert the right index finger into the uppermost loop formed by the strands coming off the left middle and ring fingers, to the right of the point where they cross, and move it to the left while simultaneously turning the left hand palm inward, causing the outer strands to slide backward over the..."

[I don't know how the sentence ends because that's the point where my eyes glaze over and I go back to working on card tricks.]

Quinn

Quinn,

You've got that right!!!!

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
365 Posts

Profile of Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
So far, per the thread's creator, I've only seen one specific recommendation.

Any more?

ATPG
------------

We could have been practicing!
GothicBen
View Profile
Veteran user
England
353 Posts

Profile of GothicBen
No contest - gambler's sleights, like false deals, false shuffles etc.

Until you see an expert actually do these moves in the context of a demonstration, you have NO idea. Even the best books can't communicate timing, body language etc.

Ben - a frustrated card sharp
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
I also believe rubberband magic is far easier to comprehend off video.
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
Ken Krenzel has stated point blank that you can't really learn the pass and all of it's subtlties from a book. He seems to feel strongly that you need some sort of a visual reference for this sleight. I tend to agree.

Yes, a mentor would be best, but for some that's not an option.
Drive Carefully
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
I am going to be bashed for this, but I say videos are just a better learning tool for our art. I don't accept the "videos encourage immitation - books creativity" argument.
There are so many effects out there, that I read and never did until seeing the video performance of them.
Some things you just can't pass to your readers, voice intonation, timing, face expression, and gestures the performer is not even aware of.

For me the only reason to buy books is for reference and developing new original ideas. but to LEARN magic - only videos. I actually prefer performance videos on teaching videos.

Before the attacks come, let me just say I am 14 years into magic, and I have a large amount of books and videos.

enjoy,

N
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Material Most Benefitted by Video (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL