We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Instant radio - mini review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Well then, some of you lot were on at me to review this piece of kit...

it came today...about an hour and a bit ago...

here's the very quick review/first look:

booklet with diagrams and set up
unit
cushionair switch
speaker
grip
speaker attachment
switch housing
velcro tab
extra disc
aerial/antennae

before you ask, yes you will have to buy some batteries...two AAA batteries, that's all...

I've set it up already in one of my jackets, took me about ten, fifteen minutes - and that's not cos its fiddly, its cos I'm quite a big lad (over six foot and pretty broad) - and I wanted to get the positionings perfect for me...

anyway - what happens? well, the switch is perfectly balanced for activation...it wont look like you're playing bagpipes or fiddling about anywhere...its activated and then out comes the sounds...

oh and I should say, I got two - I really liked the idea of passing the sound from one hand to another...

the actual radio is tiny - you wont find yourself worrying about a bulky pocket or wherever you decide to store it...the straps and set up are good quality..everything is as it should be...

the sound is mono, has an adjustable volume, and everything is black...

its good that the kit is easy to assemble/take out too...

you get a good little plastic case to put it all in, like a big business card case really - and the build quality is, at first inspection excellent...

there's also two printed cards with a radio on it if you wish to use them...

you don't get full on routines, but you do get some ideas...

al cohen is credited in the instructions on the first page, fact fans...

the unit itself is about an inch high, and an inch and a half wide...

there you go - best I can do for you...hard to give a rating without using it in performance, but for what it is, and the quality - 9/10
I've asked to be banned
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1354 Posts

Profile of mike storz
Thanks Iain!

Great review. I'm looking forward to how it goes in performances. Thanks for sharing.

Mike Smile
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1890 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Yes, thanks Iain. How large is the speaker and how loud is it? Is the volume adjustable? Can it be heard over the din of a busy bar?
Thanks again.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On 2009-09-05 07:32, slyhand wrote:
Yes, thanks Iain. How large is the speaker and how loud is it? Is the volume adjustable? Can it be heard over the din of a busy bar?
Thanks again.

all of those questions have been answered one way or the other via my mini review!

apart from the size of the speaker - which is circular and around an inch and a half...
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Oh and guys, could you not PM me please, as I'm not on here often enough these days to answer them...but if you email shahid himself I'm sure he'll respond...
I've asked to be banned
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Quote:
On 2009-09-05 07:46, IAIN wrote:
Oh and guys, could you not PM me please, as I'm not on here often enough these days to answer them...but if you email shahid himself I'm sure he'll respond...

NO problem, I'll ask openly then. What IMPROVEMENTS are there over Geoff Williams' Everythings a Radio?
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
T.House
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of T.House
I do not have one of these radios, but volume can be a concern, even with Geoff Williams' Everything's a Radio. If the restaurant or strolling situation is loud, it can be difficult to hear the Williams' radio. However, if you can find one of these: Saitek My Spkr A-100 Personal Stereo Speaker, you can plug it directly into the Williams's radio and really get a very loud sound. The problems? 1) it has been discontinued, although you can still find some on e-bay sometimes. 2) it adds a lot more bulk to what you are carrying. 3) it goes through batteries rather quickly. Still . . . I think it is great.

Bruce
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2969 Posts

Profile of niva
Quote:
On 2009-09-05 09:05, Eric Jones wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-09-05 07:46, IAIN wrote:

NO problem, I'll ask openly then. What IMPROVEMENTS are there over Geoff Williams' Everythings a Radio?

Size is a big plus for me and not having to construct it myself. I am not very confident in building suc things.
Yours,

Ivan
shahid malik
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of shahid malik
Hi everyone.
This is Shahid Malik from Magigadgets.com (www.magigadgets.com) makers and distributors of 'INSTANT RADIO'.
I'm not really one for going onto forums - so that's why you've not heard of me (although I've been a member for 5 years).
I'm here to put a few facts straight as I noticed that a few of you were discussing my product - INSTANT RADIO.
Also, if I can help in anyway to answer your queries about the product - I'll do my best. So ask away if you're at all concerned.
I'm not always around to respond immediately to everything - but I'll do my best.
Let me know what you wish to know - within reason(!).
Look forward to chatting!
Regards,
Shahid Malik
http://www.magigadgets.com
http://www.shahidmalik.co.uk
http://www.magigadgets.com/Products_2.html
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Eric,

I was curious too since I also have Geoff's version. I was able to get this information from Hocus Pocus regarding it:

Quote:

•INSTANT RADIO Ver2 is now...

•Fully custom-made Electronic module - this is not an adapted Radio - purpose built for the job!
•It is a real FM Radio - works WORLDWIDE - and will play all your local area stations.
•FASTER: Scans even faster to find a channel INSTANTLY.
•LOUDER: Over 200% louder than the original model (using new amplifying technology) to give you impact-making booming volume!
•CLEARER: Improved high quality Radio chip to give you clearer (& louder) sound and reception.
•SLIMMER: We've changed the design of the unit - making it ultra slim and easy to store.
•MORE POWER: Makes the Radio positively boom with sound!
•And finally.... *CHANNEL SELECTABLE. We've added a manual Scan button to allow you to Scan & select from a range of (your regional) FM Channels with our built-in Scan and Reset facility. Channel scanning and Re-set can now be manually set with the built-in buttons on the Radio - for your convenience.
So, local reception and signal strength permitting, you'll be able to Scan and set up your Instant Radio to your own choice.
•All this is still coupled with our AUTO/SELF-SCAN technology which ensures that INSTANT RADIO is sure to play every time, without letting you down.*
•Self Scan over-ride function ensures that if your selected channel fails (due to weak reception or signal strength) the Radio will automatically and instantly locate an alternative channel, ensuring the Radio plays.* * Subject to local reception and signal strength.
•Includes free large resin authentic Radio Dial - a great extra prop for all your INSTANT RADIO performances which will really get them talking!
•Runs on 3 AAA batteries - to give you more power & great volume! (Batteries not included)
•Made for professionals, by a professional

Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4930 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Instant radio - mini review (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL