The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Parents with Toddlers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jiayi
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
326 Posts

Profile of jiayi
Do you perform for a table with the parents and a toddler in the restaurant? To me, this is a pretty tough and challenging set because there is nothing you can do to keep the toddlers happy and they are always a big distraction when you try to perform for the parents. Workers out there, what's your take on this?
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I find that sometimes the parents need a break, even if just for a moment or two.

You need to judge well if the parents are interested, and to be prepared to break it off quickly if need be, but sometimes you're a godsend.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5699 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Agreed!

You're not there to entertain a 2 year old. There's is little if anything you can do that they could follow. My 2.5 year old enjoys watching me do color changing silks but that's about it.

The parents are looking for a moment of "adult swim" time and you're their lifeguard!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
I always open every table with sponge balls. Every toddler becomes fascinated with the balls. Even if they don't realise there's any magic, they just like the balls.

They can focus on them, while I entertain the adults.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
Quote:
On 2009-09-06 09:59, gdw wrote:
I always open every table with sponge balls. Every toddler becomes fascinated with the balls. Even if they don't realise there's any magic, they just like the balls.

Sometimes the toddlers get a little to grabby with the sponges I've learned...even if they're in your hands or your spectator's (parent of toddler)

I'll still perform but I'll will keep it short and sweet.
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1873 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Parents unfortunately assume magic is for infants/toddlers. "Oh look, little Johnny, a magician"

I gently advise that my magic is for the adults. But sometimes parents are put off by this, after all, their children are geniuses unlike any child to have ever come before....Advanced card plots and intricate three shell patterns are easy concepts for these little tykes.

So you must be careful and tactful when assuring parents that they too, can enjoy the magic

They usually understand pretty quickly when I get a routine going.

Smile, be nice about it, then ignore the kid
joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
Its all about letting them see the first effect!
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2009-09-06 20:52, joshsmagic wrote:
Quote:

Sometimes the toddlers get a little to grabby with the sponges I've learned...even if they're in your hands or your spectator's (parent of toddler)

Yeah, I take advantage of that. I keep them out of their reach when I need them to be, but allow them to play with them when I don't, that way they can keep them selves occupied.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

joshsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
189 Posts

Profile of joshsmagic
Quote:
On 2009-09-07 18:06, gdw wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-09-06 20:52, joshsmagic wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, I take advantage of that. I keep them out of their reach when I need them to be, but allow them to play with them when I don't, that way they can keep them selves occupied.

very nice
Maestro
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Profile of Maestro
Do you have to worry about choking/sanitation issues? Just curious, thanks.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5699 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-09-07 16:06, joshsmagic wrote:
Its all about letting them see the first effect!

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT! So often people associate Magicians with a 90 year old man doing a change bag routine for the Benevolent Order of Antelope weekly meeting at the lodge or Scabs the Clown pulling a mile of silks from his coat sleeve.

Getting your first routine out there to set the tone is what it's all about!

Magic has come so far but the old stereotypes are still in place. It's not some silly gag...it's sophisticated sleight of hand.

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2009-09-09 10:02, Maestro wrote:
Do you have to worry about choking/sanitation issues? Just curious, thanks.

I have big balls, but I also keep my eye on the kid, and so do the parents. Generally, if they are going to put the balls in their mouths, it's one of the FIRST things they try to do,and if that's the case, I keep them out of their reach after that.

As for sanitation, kids NEED to eat dirt. It's the kids who are kept in a padded world who end up with poor immune systems. they NEED to be exposed to germs to be healthy, oddly enough.

Kids put EVERYTHING in their mouths, my balls are not going to kill them. Also, you want to clean your balls before every performance.

I, personally, think about the germs, but I have OCD. I am constantly aware of the germs on my balls, but I have never had anyone act iffy when I go to put my balls in their hand. Even after they open their hands, and the balls fall out and bounce into their pasta (which I do everything to avoid, but every now and then, they open too soon, or what have you.)

Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ Seattle
1050 Posts

Profile of Nash
Glenn.. you just have to put "my balls" and "putting them in their mouth" within one sentence huh?

For these tables, its hit or miss. Sometimes the baby is way too out of line and started making a mess. Next thing you know the parents are occupied with that little punk (me hates performing for kids).

But if the kid is behaving, I'll do some simple coin effect that slays the adult as well. Often times I even make that fact known when the adult are amazed.
"And you thought that's just for kids huh? huh?" high five.

holla.
Don't give up, don't EVER give up.

Corporate magician - Nash Fung
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2009-09-09 14:21, Nash wrote:
Glenn.. you just have to put "my balls" and "putting them in their mouth" within one sentence huh?

For these tables, its hit or miss. Sometimes the baby is way too out of line and started making a mess. Next thing you know the parents are occupied with that little punk (me hates performing for kids).

But if the kid is behaving, I'll do some simple coin effect that slays the adult as well. Often times I even make that fact known when the adult are amazed.

holla.

AND I was talking about kids.

derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
I use the old cat trick with a laser pointer except I combine it with a d-lite. It will keep toddlers happy for hours and adults amazed and laughing. Get a red laser pointer and swirl it around the table, just about any toddler/kid will grab for it. I don't care if the child is only 9 months old. You can pick it up with your d-lite and put the light in your pocket. If you need a little more time, just get the light back out of your pocket and toss it back in front of toddler. The kid/toddler is usually tickled to death, the parents are happy and you get to treat a kid like he/she is a cat. It is a win, win, win situation. BTW, this works with bigger kids too. Just happens that it will work from the moment a toddler can follow anything with his eyes. I hate to state the obvious but I guess I will, don't shine the laser in the kids eyes, or anyone else for that matter.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5699 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-09-09 14:21, Nash wrote:

holla.

Brings up a good point! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6YgccuLi......nel_page
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Ah yes, Lyle's video is a great lesson on caring for and cleaning your balls.

Keep your eyes out for any suspicious lumps too. Never too early to catch.

slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1886 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Years ago I started out entertaining kids and I got to hate it.

I now find it a pleasant way to get to the adults. It seems a perfect "in". Once I get rolling, the adults enjoy it more than the children.

There was one parent, who recently, after I ended with the climax, slapped his son in the chest so hard it made a "thwack" and yelled "How the H*** did he do that!"

It made me smile cause the kid was being, well you know, a wise***.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5699 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-09-09 20:45, gdw wrote:

HAHAHAHA! I just blew coke out of my nose! Thanks for that!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2009-09-09 23:15, Christopher Lyle wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-09-09 20:45, gdw wrote:

HAHAHAHA! I just blew coke out of my nose! Thanks for that!

Your welcome. Always looking out for my fellow magician.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Parents with Toddlers (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL