The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » The Infamous Three Shell Game - What Do I Buy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
306 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
Okay, as a semi amateur magician who does the occasional gig, but works mostly for friends and family, I was at a Renaissance Festival this past weekend and a magician (unfortunately I can't remember his name) came over to a table where another magician was doing some close up work and did the Three Shell Game.

Needless to say (sort of) I loved the routine, I loved the reactions and now, I want to add this to my close up repertoire. I've read many of the threads, and it sounds like The School for Scoundrels sells the best shells and peas and DVD to learn.

Would this be the way to go?
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Ummm, yes. Smile
obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
306 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
Ahhhh, spoken like a true member of School for Scoundrels who has everything to gain by my purchase......but I understand.
Glenn Morphew
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
474 Posts

Profile of Glenn Morphew
I concur with Whit... The School For Scoundrels really has great shells, great peas, and great material to learn and perform the 3 shell game... I say go for it... you won't be sorry.

Glenn
Visit www.povmagician.com for
The Rub-a-dub Deluxe Suite
The Morphew One Hand Top Palm
Bob's 3 Shell Boot Camp and more...
corsufle
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of corsufle
Quote:
On 2009-09-06 23:33, Glenn Morphew wrote:
I concur with Whit... The School For Scoundrels really has great shells, great peas, and great material to learn and perform the 3 shell game... I say go for it... you won't be sorry.

Glenn

I also agree. The Shell Game DVD Volume 1 is a real winner (I haven't yet seen Volume 2). That DVD and a set of street shells should keep you happy for quite a while.
Who is the Fool with the guitar?
Find out at HobbyhorseMusic.com
Kyf
View Profile
Loyal user
UK, England (but Scottish by birth)
265 Posts

Profile of Kyf
The shell game volume 1 and 2 are fantastic value and great teaching material.

I have the street shells (magnetic), brass shells, antique copper shells, Boston man chopped shells, Black Fox scarab's all of which are great but the School for Scoundrels shells (brass and copper) are by far the nicest to handle.

The Antique Copper shells look fantastic in video - the brass shells have a great feel and ring to them.

I've two sets of La Maggiore - once you make a slight adjust (Chanin Dip and I've added a magnet) they handle really well - bit bigger than SfS shells - but great shells.

Don't - for any reason - buy the Magic Maker "Golden Shells" - these come in a nice black felt box and look really good in the pictures. I bought some and couldn't give them away - the box is nice though.

By comparison SfS shells (and black fox/La Maggiore) handle like a finely tuned sports car - the Magic Maker shells handle like driving a bus, through mud, with a blindfold, on a stormy night, driving against the wind, uphill, in high gear....

Tom Osbourne's book "The Three Shell Game", Eddie's Joseph's "The Manual of the Three Shell Game", and Jack Chanin's Encyclopaedia of the Three Shell Game (Hello Sucker) are "must read" material.

To start with the Vernet shells are cheap and handle OK (once you deburr the plastic) - but I'd recommend you go for the SfS DVD/Shells and invest in the best.

Regards,

Keith
"I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension." Steve Wright
Peter Woerde
View Profile
Regular user
The Netherlands
107 Posts

Profile of Peter Woerde
SfS is the way to go. May I also add you take a look at this though:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=190&18 Smile
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
I've just gotten into this routine.

I did a lot of looking and went with Gary Ouellet's Supershells routine.

http://www.camirandmagic.com/mm01_2.html

At $12.50 USD this is a real bargain.

Guy Camirand also sells a complete set of props for this routine for $30 USD.

http://www.camirandmagic.com/ac_002.html

It is not necessary to buy these (I did and it saved me some time and hassle), because the book describes how to put these together yourself.

The routine is devastating and a lot of fun to present.

The only drawback, so far as I can see, is the routine has to be done on a good performing surface (ideally a close up pad), but works OK on a cloth or vinly covered table.

This might limit use on surfaces like bare bar tops and many restaurant tables.

All in all, I'm satisfied with this.

:magicrabbit:
"Pick any card. NOT that one!!!"
marD
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of marD
I've gotta go with SfS. The DVD's are great and the teaching is well done. The second DVD goes into a lot more than just the game as well. I'm hoping that the next DVD expands on the thinking and psychology of it even more as well as more info on the tops. I would love to see some "tops specific moves" if that's even possible!
At Ease Tees - Christian apparel and other items!
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
If you get the SFS Perfect Pea you can work easily on any surface.
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
There is not a more complete instructional or teaching video on the market today, than the School For Scoundrels DVDs. They have included every move any one has ever come up with that they know of, in their two videos on the shell game. They are all well done and would be an asset to any scoundrels or magicians bag of tricks.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Special user
Beverley, UK
856 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
If you are considering the 3 Shell Game, then I fully recommend trying the Fast and Loose chain equivalent.

The Fast and Loose is 100 per cent sure fire, and will require minimal practice. Sure Fire!!
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
Quote:
On 2009-09-29 15:19, wulfiesmith wrote:
If you are considering the 3 Shell Game, then I fully recommend trying the Fast and Loose chain equivalent.

The Fast and Loose is 100 per cent sure fire, and will require minimal practice. Sure Fire!!

Yeah, I do both. For endless chain, I use a variation of Bob Brook's (personal friend) "All In Air Endless Loop" routine (Apocalypse Vol 6 No 9 Sept 1983).

I love the handling. For Bob's routine, this can be done standup without a table,
which is great for walk around.

:magicrabbit:
"Pick any card. NOT that one!!!"
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
I love my SFS street shell (regular) and perfect peas. I kep the routine simple 3-4 phases at most. Althoufh if people are really into it I may go further.
john oleson
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of john oleson
The SFS mag shells .... awesome!

johno
Craig Dickson
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Valley, NY
351 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickson
As far as DVDs, get "The Scoundrels Touch" 2 DVD set. There is no other place to go for DVDs, this is the best. Period. The Sheets Stack is brilliant, the SFS Shells are the best with an addendum. Tom Bartlett's Black Walnut Shells are my favorite. Followed by the Magnetic Street Shells coupled with the Sheets Stack.

The only books I ever liked were "All In A Nut Shell" by Garcia, and Oulett's "Supershells". Bottom line, is if you are serious, study it all. And then Practice Practice Practice.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18560 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Check out TWEEZERS a thimle rig/shell type game with a huge kicke finish. See demo at http://www.petebiro.com

:spinnngcoin:
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
The SFS shells are fantastic and I have handled the magic makers ones and they are not even close. The peas from SFS are the only way to go from what I've seen. I got my shells out today and used the different ones I have and the SFS handled perfect and I have pater specific to them. I also use the La Maggiore shells from

http://threeshellgame.com/la-maggiore/

which, at least when I got them, came with SFS peas. They are a natural looking shell and bigger in size but handle great. Of course the presentation is different because of the shells looking more walnut shell'ish so you don't have to justify the metal shells.
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
School for Scoundrels for all materials.
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
fyi2
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of fyi2
If I went for magnetic shells, what is the best DVD for teaching 3-Shell routines using Magnetic?

Tony
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » The Infamous Three Shell Game - What Do I Buy (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL