We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Seeking wand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ragman
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Ragman
Are there any sources for a wooden wand that is full length that can be made into a smaller wand, (I know that it is an ambigous statement) In other words; if you unscrew the wand in the center and place just the brass tip on one half of the wand it will make a shorter wand. I guess you could say a full wand and a close-up wand! I would thank you in advance for any help.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5699 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
You could easily make something like what you're talking about. I'm not the best person to ask in terms of "making" things, but you could easily get a wooden dowel rod, cut it to whatever size you needed, stain it to your color liking and then fit it with brass tips.

I'm not much of a wand guy as my wand is my sharpie.

Good luck!

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Joe Porper or Ray at Tabman USA
ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
Ragman,
As an avid woodworker, I have to disagree with Christopher. It is not an easy undertaking if you have no woodworking experience. Even with experience, it is difficult. It takes specialized tools to make threads in wood. I'm not certain the threads on a wooden dowel would match up easily with the threads on a machined piece of metal. The threads on the metal are finer than wood threads.
“I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.”
Billy Joel
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5699 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Quote:
On 2009-09-06 22:45, ldl1017 wrote:
Ragman,
As an avid woodworker, I have to disagree with Christopher. It is not an easy undertaking if you have no woodworking experience. Even with experience, it is difficult. It takes specialized tools to make threads in wood. I'm not certain the threads on a wooden dowel would match up easily with the threads on a machined piece of metal. The threads on the metal are finer than wood threads.

I thought that might be the case. As I said...I wasn't an expert on the subject...just making an uneducated observation on the subject.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Contact Mark Burger at House of Magic. He has exactly what you are looking for.

http://www.houseofmagic.com/page2/page5/......e29.html
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Is rannie still doing his wands, they were lovely
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
Thank you kind sir for remembering my wands. I have not made a wand in a while. I just stopped making them one day. I still have some wooden wands and specialized wands available though. As long as people still want my wands...then I might start making again.

Regarding the "2 in 1" wand that Ragman is looking for... It can certainly be done. However my misgiving with such wand is that I find it too complicated for a tool. Physically, I do not find it appealing,,but that's just me. If the wood has grains, you will have to screw on the right piece with the right connectors. To give it a balanced look, you would have to remove 2 pieces and reconnect the ferrules. That would be 4 connectors and 5 pieces.
Strengthwise...I am no expert with engineering but it gives me the impression of too many stress points. I rather worry about tightening up one connector before or during the act as oppose to 4. Perhaps I am analyzing too much ... pardon me. Just wanted to help Ragman decide.

I feel it is always best to have a solid one piece wand for both situations...be it close up...or (mini) ultra close up.

Oh...Ragman, did you want them to be identical? What are your dimensions?

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
I agree with Rannie. These wands are on the market but I always worry about stress points.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Seeking wand (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL