We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » My rabbit died (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bato William
View Profile
Regular user
All I've managed to write is
160 Posts

Profile of Bato William
My pet rabbit died in our air-conditioned house during a recent L.A. heat wave. He seemed healthy, poor thing.

What could I have done to prevent this?

Bato William
You're nothing but a pack of cards! - Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson)
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
715 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
Bato,
I'm sorry for your loss.

Did the air conditioning go out? Did you take him outdoors during the heatwave? If not, you can rule out the weather.

Did he roam freely in the house? Could he have chewed on something toxic without your knowledge?

Diet... did he have a constant supply of hay? Rabbits need fiber, 24/7. Just feeding pellets doesn't provide enough roughage.

Did he suffer from a fall? Rabbits (as prey animals) do a god job of hiding symptoms when they are injured or sick.

Dave
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
Bato William
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Bato William
David, you got me; I have no idea about any injuries.

But I promise you the air-conditioning did not fail me.

As far as I know, I was feeding him regulation pellets. But no, I was not giving him hay.

He had limited freedom within the cage and the specific bedroom where he was housed.

I have a miniature schnauzer, but as far as I know, the two of them got along fine. My poor rabbit had no external signs of injury.

Bato William
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Bato, I too am sorry. How old was your rabbit? I have lost several of my Netherland bunnies. They are like partners to me. It is painful when they pass away. I have one now that I am especially close to. He is getting up in years, and I have been thinking, worrying about, and dreading his passing for several years now. I really dread to loose him. He is the best I've ever had, and he has performed with me longer than any of my rabbits. He is so much better for my magic shows than all the other Netherlands I have owned, and I feel I will never be able to find one as good.

Regan
Mister Mystery
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
949 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Sorry for your loss.

When I had one of Doves die, it was like losing a member of the family. I was in the same boat and had no reason for why he died.

James Adamson
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11164 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I've had rabbits that seemed quite healthy one day and were dead the next with no obvious reason. If you were doing everything right, you may never know why this happened. I, too, am sorry for your loss.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24120 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
It was probably because of nature. How old was she?
Bato William
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Bato William
Thank you for your kind words. He was under a year old.

Bato William
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1379 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
He was very young. I am so very sorry, Bato.

When I used rabbits in my show, the breeder told me that they live to be about 2.5 to 3 years old on average. That lifespan average was for an Angora breed of rabbit, so maybe it is different in other breeds.

The breeder said that when her bunnies got old, they would be fine one day, then the next day they would just be gone with no warning whatsoever.

I don't know if that helps any, but my thoughts are with you in your loss.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Bato:
Think of it this way, you probably gave her a much better life than she would have gotten in some kid's room that neglected her to death. I think of my "Wellington" often and miss her a lot. When I took her to the vet for treatment of her cancer, she would try to jump up from the exam table to my arms for help. I'm a grown man and just talking about it makes me cry.

Thank you for keeping your rabbit inside with A/C.

Bob
Shawn D
View Profile
Elite user
Hughson,Ca
434 Posts

Profile of Shawn D
A Rabbit breeder told me the biggest cause of death to rabbits are hair balls so to make sure to give them hay. I have had my share of rabbit deaths from heat to cold to hair balls to running away. The last 2 rabbits I had were fine one day dead the next. Couldn't figure out if it was a black widow or why they died. They have got to be the hardest animal to keep alive. My newest rabbit seems to be doing well.
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Actually, Shawn, breeders are not (as a rule) a good source of information about rabbit health or care. They are very good at breeding and fattening up rabbits for the meat market and for pet sales, and that’s fine. If you want to find out what is going on with your sick rabbit, you should see a vet that is knowledgeable with rabbits (that is not all veterinarians.)

Rabbits do not die from hairballs, and in fact, they do not get hairball problems. Their GI tract is a 3 or 4 hour amazing system (the same as horses and cows) that works fast and in one direction only.

For example, they cannot even throw-up when sick the way you see cats do with hairballs. The food they eat goes only one way and is a very limited diet and depends on lots of water being available. They do have trouble with gastric stasis sometimes, which has to do with decreased movement in the GI tract leading to dehydration and impaction of the normal material in the stomach (not hairballs).

Rabbits are not hard to keep healthy and should not be subjected to cold weather. The domestic rabbit has little in common with the wild rabbits we see in the snow in winter.

Bob
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Bato, you have my sympathy. I had two different white rabbits that I used in my show. The last one was a blue-eyed, white Netherlands dwarf that lived almost a decade. He was friendly, smart (for a rabbit) and he got along with my miniature schnauzer just fine.

He apparently died of a heart attack.

A note of humor -- I called a friend of mine later that day. He asked me how things were, and I said, "The rabbit died."

He said, "Congratulations! Are you and Carol going to fix up your spare room for the nursery?"

I said, "No. The rabbit I use in my act died. Not the one the doctor uses for the pregnancy test."

"Oh."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
I think if you get an experienced and reputable breeder of "show" rabbits, then they will....or at least they should...know plenty, as long as he deals with the same breed. As Bob said though, rabbits raised for food are a different animal....so to speak. My breeder is very knowledgeable about the care and health of rabbits.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Russell Scoggin
View Profile
Loyal user
Lubbock, Texas
257 Posts

Profile of Russell Scoggin
Bato,
I know you said that your little dog and your rabbit got along just fine and I'm sure they did. Sometimes little dogs get in a playful mood and end up hurting if not killing the rabbit on accident. Most of the time, since it isn't by being bitten of anything like that, then you cannot tell by looking at them that it is what happened. It happens a lot of times from internal injuries to the rabbit. Even though the dogs may not be much larger than the rabbit, they are still usually much stronger and also heavier than the rabbits. So they end up killing them by mistake when they are trying to play with them. It's sad since it isn't even intentional, but unfortunately it happens. Not sure if that was the case, but it may be. My condolences
Bean
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of Bean
I'm sorry I'm weighing in so late, but I live with a rescue rabbit--Bean. Pellets are not the best thing to feed your rabbit. Most of them were designed to put the most weight on a meat rabbit in the shortest amount of time. Timothy hay--lots of it, constantly available is what they need the most. A small quantity of timothy-based pellets (Oxbow brand comes to mind) is fine as a supplement. Really restrict sweets--carrots, apple, banana and no legumes, ever. If your bun was mainly eating pellets and the house wasn't too warm (86F and up is where problems start), it might have been a couple of things, but GI Stasis would be a strong contender.

There's very good info on feeding and health on the House Rabbit Society Website here - http://www.rabbit.org
And please, accept my condolences. Losing a bun is very hard.
JoeC
View Profile
New user
Asia
59 Posts

Profile of JoeC
Young rabbits are especially vulnerable and can die easily...
Alex Palombo
View Profile
Regular user
Abington, Pennislyvania
105 Posts

Profile of Alex Palombo
My rabbit died, also. I know how you feel.
Philadelphia SYM Assembly 96 Member
Magicians' Alliance of Eastern States Member
Smile MAGICIAN DIRECTORY member
mysterious JO
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of mysterious JO
Well I agree they can be fine one min and not the next BUT yes they can have BLOCKAGE from chewing on rugs, some types of wood etc I had a pet rabbit who was 6 yrs old she was fine one day and started becoming lethargic and motionless the vet took xrays and could not see any blockage but did notice a spot and said it could have been a hair ball! so she got medication of vitamins I fed her a specific diet according to the vet and she started rebounding then 1 month later it started again so I took her to ANOTHER vet and when he xray'd her he saw her INTESTINES were intertwining and that was the cause of her being put down! so was sooooo weak that she would not have made it through the surgery!!! and we gave her fruits and vegies and hay and her pellets! my lil guy I have now is on a strict pellet and hay diet ONLY he is 1 1/2 yrs old now! we got him when he was 4 weeks old
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » My rabbit died (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.33 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL