The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » On the spot! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I’ve been PM’ing and emailing member Alleycat about inexpensive and easy Miser’s Dreams.

Yesterday it was put-up or shut-up time! I was attending a local Monthly Prayer Breakfast. There was supposed to be a guest speaker. The speaker had a scheduling conflict at the last minute and could not attend (actually called the restaurant and told us he could not attend). Well, that left over 100 people with a big hole in the program.

One of the organizers of the event pulled me aside and asked me if I could please “do something”. He knew that I was a magician, that I didn’t get rattled in front groups, and that I could probably “wing-it”.

Because the Misers Dream was on my mind (I had just sent an email of a poor-man’s routine) I decided to go for it.

I borrowed a couple of pieces paper, lunch-bag, sized bags from the restaurant and used one gimmicked half dollar. I spoke of the bag being a person (us) and how some of us seek riches (produce coin) to feel fulfilled (drop into bag using the clown gag snapping the bag for sound). I spoke of how we tried to gain riches from stocks and bonds (produced the coin from a copy of the “Wall Street Journal” to give us a sense of security (drop into bag-snap). I pulled a number (six) coins from various places continuing the theme.

Finally, I pointed out that all of the quest for riches, and all the obtaining of riches could not fulfill us and could not make us whole as I tore the bag open showing it empty. I then spoke of only a good life lived according to a moral model could be truly fulfilled (and Produced a pocket Bible from the crumpled up bag, showing the bag restored, and dropping the Bible into the bag.

OK, I know this is standard stuff and too easy for words with absolutely no new ground covered. It does point out how a small lesson can be given using even a small trick. The necessary props - two bags, a small Bible, and a coin.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Your post is very appropriately titled. Sounds like you were up to the challenge. Well done! Smile

Maybe what you had to say in your
"impromptu" routine was exactly what was needed by some in the audience. There are no accidents in God's plan or in his timing. We just don't always know what's up His sleeve!

Good luck in getting the answers you seek.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Well Done Harry!

You reinforced the truth that the simple things still work. Many of us get caught up in technolgy and the latest - greatest tricks, but when it comes to getting a response, the old standards are just as good as ever. That is why they are still around, they still work!

Nice job! I am sure the "audience" was entertained, and got a great object lesson too! Way to go!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
phill
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
365 Posts

Profile of phill
Harry -
Thanks for fleshing out 1 Peter 3:15 for us. Now I am reminded to be ready, always!

peace,
phill
Scripture, Sculptures & Surprises!
sugam
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
175 Posts

Profile of sugam
Just going through old threads about Miser's Dream.

Nice story! Way to go with the routine. I like the concept.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
That was awesome!
Daniel Faith
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » On the spot! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL