The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Knife Throwing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Elton Litzner
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Elton Litzner
I spent a winter in Gib-Town. Helping Ward & Chris fix up the bunk house, the show front, and give the illusions a freash new paint job. While I was there Chris taught me how to throw knives. I became pretty darn accurate, but occasionally will bounce a knife or two. I felt comfortable doing it as a demonstration, but didn't feel I was ready to have anyone stand for me, just yet. Which of course is what brings all the thrills and chills to the act.

I have been told by magicians and even a few layman of a gaffed board in which the knives spring out. Apparently the audience gets conditioned to the action and sound. By throwing the first "warm up" throws for real, but once the girl is standing for you. The gaff comes into play. Along with some strong misdirection.
Its not that I don't wanna keep it real. I'm just wondering

1. If such a gaffed board exhists?

2. If it looks & sound anywhere close to the real thing?

3. Wouldn't the illusion of danger be better then repeatedly placing
my girl repeatedly in harms way. (by avoiding any margin of human eror)

Your thoughts.
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Jess won't be your target girl?
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Knife throwing is very much like glass eating. People will think it is fake unless you work very hard to convince them it is real. So if you do fake it, no one will be fooled.
MagiciennesUnlimited
View Profile
Regular user
of the phrase 'Bite Me'.
197 Posts

Profile of MagiciennesUnlimited
Those boards do exist, however. They ain't cheap. A 10 knife dizzy board (best to go with spinning style), with both sets of knives, and remote release will run you about 10g's, custom ordered.

I haven't seen any 'off the rack'
:)A
Sia Synn
www.siasynn.com

"Pain solves everything" -Russ Fox's T-Shirt
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
You could lead in, with the skill, and then switch over to the old clown gag.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
The best and most elaborate version of the clown gag was done by Penn & Teller.
MagiciennesUnlimited
View Profile
Regular user
of the phrase 'Bite Me'.
197 Posts

In my opinion, the best of many <or most> acts has been done By P&T.
;)
Sia Synn
www.siasynn.com

The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
Impalement Acts are Fun...Why not just keep Practicing...till you gain confidence...I have not thrown for three years...yet with a few warm-ups, I would throw with my Lovey standing there....Gaffed Board!, Harry McEvoy must be spinnin in his grave.....
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
I would have no problem throwing knives around and at Pat,,,,I have had no practice, never done it but would love to give it a try !

Don`t tell her,,,please.
MagiciennesUnlimited
View Profile
Regular user
of the phrase 'Bite Me'.
197 Posts

They're out there...

just sayin' Smile

For the record, I'm all for chuckin' knives whilst my ex stands for me.
Sia Synn
www.siasynn.com

gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Elton? Detroit Elton?
I know you!
I'm going to weigh in on this...If you can't do it for real, don't do it on stage. Not in a sideshow act. It disrespects the artists that do it for real.
Sylver and I are working on knife throwing and some other target arts. To think that someone would take an act we have worked hard on perfecting and fake it feels rather personal.
We have cut everything that is faked from our act except for one thing, and that one is revealed as such for contrast.
If you want to do Magic...So be it. I still won't like the gaffed knife throw, but I can accept it there. Sideshow...No way.
Gwyd
erikkloeker
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, Ohio
203 Posts

Profile of erikkloeker
The gaffed board works great on tv where the cameras and sound can be controlled... in real life, not as much. Maybe Throwdini will come in shed some insight Smile. I love P and T's volunteer from the audience throwing knives at Penn bit, it's great.
Martin_Ling
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of Martin_Ling
This reminds me of the Laverne and Shirley episode were Laverne is the assistant to the knife thrower; to make her comfortable they blow the gaff for her. Ruined magic for me forever, that is until I learned the difference between magic and actual skilled performers like Throwdini.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I've seen the clown gag a lot of times, almost always lamely, due to the poor quality of the clowns. But to me, it's one of the best, right up there with Washerwomen and Carpenters.

P&T do a phenomenal job with it. They have such an admirable ability to define what they're doing, make routines their own. It's a quality for which we should all strive.

I don't think mixing it up detracts from anything. It all depends on how you do it. If the audience perceives a solid story line, and is entertained, that's the most important thing. If they can't follow the story, all we're doing is bragging that we have a skill, and we always end up playing for shock value, and we become second-rate, diminish our art.

One of the themes I've had a lot of fun with, the last few years, is the difference between a trick and a stunt. In my new show, I'm not differentiating, and it's very interesting to watch the responses.

It could be a great presentation, to start with the skill, flip into the clown gag, and then end with one really good throw.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Elton Litzner
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Elton Litzner
Todd, Harley, everyone I really apppreciate your input. I'm working on a framing up a show that mixes magic, mentalisim, and sideshow arts. My partner and I we're talking about working up the knife act. She actually has had experience standing for Matt Molotov. We performed out in Houston together. He was a great guy and gave me some pointers on throwing.

A magician friend told us about gaffed boards and swore up and down that its what the majority of illusionists use. Maybe they were thinking of Penn & Tellers act. I agree with all of you that If we're going to put it on stage, we should do it right.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Mixing magic, mentalisim and sideshow !

Hell you must be very talented, it took me thirty years to get a half decent sideshow act together let alone anything else.

Ken.
sescarny
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of sescarny
I'd like to throw in a thought. My show partner and I are performing a knife show at a Ren-faire right now. No gaffs, just long hours practicing. If we can do it, you can too. Don't gaff the act. : )
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Welcome, Ses!

www.bladewalker.com
sescarny
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of sescarny
Thanks Harley!!! How have you been?
Elton Litzner
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Elton Litzner
Kondini, It's a two person act. We both have stregnths in different areas. Jessie is an accomplished stage illusionist. She grew up in the buisness and is considered one of the top female magicians in the country.

My background is in theatre. I have been a working magician for over a decade, but have spent years studying hypnosis and the allied arts of the sideshow.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Knife Throwing (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL