The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » The Magellan Master Levitation-Live audience videos (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1169 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Please see the live audience videos by clicking these YouTube links...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObOaFZwSPaU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCMghdmnzHg

Thanks,

Jimmy Fingers
Pambalini
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Pambalini
As promised, here is our review of Jimmy Finger's Magellan Master Levitation. We rate it with FIVE STARS. In the first performance, we had a young magician who was attending the party agree to perform it for the first time. Due to an earlier injury to my ankle, I was very disappointed that I wasn't the one performing it. He was vaguely aware of the system, but was willing to try it. After receiving very brief instructions from me, he proceded to move to the far section of the room, passed the audience (about 150 in attendance), carrying only the forlard. The buzz before the party was that the Magellan Levi would be performed, so everyone eyed the forlard as Greg Lancer walked toward the corner of the room. Because the corner was clear and uncluttered, everyone was trying to figure out how the gimmick could possibly find its way to the spot where it was to be performed. The answer lies in the brillance of Jimmy Fingers. He covered all bases in his developement of this incredible illusion.

With no fanfare or introduction, Greg turned toward the audience, smiled (kind of a sheepish smile)and slowly pull the forlard up over his fully erect body. In a manner that would appear that he is shaking out the wrinkles, he was actually setting up the performance. He kinda looked down at the ground and then his gaze looked upward as he began to slowly levitate. He reached a height of about 18" with his feet dangling as if he was being held up by his neck or shoulders. Once he reached the height he wanted to achieve, he dropped the right side of the forlard and it hung free of his body and feet. He received a very thunderous applause from everyone in attendance, includng me. At that point he reached over and gripped the end of the forlard with his right hand, pulled it back in front of him and slowly descended to the ground where he received a second round of applause. In a very natural manner he bent over, bunched the forlard together and took a well deserved bow. He then bundled the forlard into a heap and carried it out of the room with absolutely no one knowing how he did it. The rest of the evening was centered around Jimmy Fingers incredible new illusion, THE MAGELLAN MASTER LEVITATION. And everyone started to adopt the current TV commercial, "that even a caveman can do it."

ANGLES: From our limited use of it, it appeared that the angle to be most concerned about would be the performer's stage right angle. As seen in Jimmy Fingers vid, he performed it with bright lites and on the center of the stage.
SET-UP: Simplicity to put it mildly. For what it is, it is a brlliant creation with abslutely nothing let unattended to in terms of set-up and clean-up. All of the movements required appear to be natural extensions of how we function as human beings. Nothing looks contrived or unnatural.
PERFORMANCE: When the audience sees your feet dangling, they immediate realize that you are not standing on a support or any other type of platform, no matter how small. YOU ARE INDEED LEVITATING. Since the audience can see your complete body at the moment you reach full levitation, they have to be scratching their heads and saying to themselves, "NO WAY". But yes, there is a way, it's called the Jimmy Fingers Magellan Master Levitation.
CLEAN-UP: Really folks, it's so easy a caveman can do it without being detected. Greg did it for the first time and was actualy amazed himself that it worked so well without detection.
RECOMMENDATION: YES! YES! YES!
PaxMentis
View Profile
Loyal user
Long Beach, CA
239 Posts

Profile of PaxMentis
This was a charitable invitation only event that I attended. Pambalini has been looking for quite some time for a levitation she could perform, due to the type of surgery on her one ankle. I personally recommended the Magellan to her. From vids and printed material with its many professionl endorsements, I felt this levitation was a good investment. After seeing it up close and personal and watching an upcoming magician perform it without rehearsal proved me right. Everything stated by Pambalini I concur with. The downside is that she is unable to perform it because of the surgery. Her one ankle lacks movement and she would appear awkward if performing the levi. She's a big girl and handled the disappointment with professional grace and style. Having been exposed to the many different types of levitations, I would give this one a definite "thumbs up".
Bill Thomas
Do not go where the path may lead, but go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3505 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Nice work Jimmy--
There have been numerous small but important improvements to this,
and the tweaking has resulted in much cleaner handling.

I’ve recommended this to a young full-timer in the area,
as most all the original challenges look like they’ve been solved.

Congrats!
Walt
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3505 Posts

Jimmy ….justifying the cloth.

It seems like a number of people are dismayed at the use of a cloth.
(I was dismayed to learn the truth about the tooth-fairy, but there you go.)

How is this for a presentation thought?

It would be amazing enough to levitate that high behind a cloth, then float down again….
so how about staging the piece as if you drop the end of the cloth by *accident*
sort of grasp to try to grab it back as it falls,
then perhaps a slightly embarrassed look, as you hang suspended from nothing….
then with a noble will take the cloth back and hold it up as you descend?

This allows for a sort of one-two punch,
you levitate first,
then *mistakenly* let the cloth slip,
then regain your composure,
lift the cloth and float back down.

As for those that *need* a theatrically logical basis for the cloth,
it can be used to cover a table, or props, even a backdrop, earlier in your act,
or the buyer can have a magical cloak made that they can wear,
and will then use in this piece.

Just some brainstorming for those who are “method actor” style performers?

Magically,
Walt
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2527 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Walt...

I always admire your thinking!

My only concern with this levi wasn't the cloth itself, I can always find a way to justify that. It's the reveal which must be done "carefully" and has a motion pattern that leads the eye directly to the... boy, how can I put this? The eye follows the motion of the cloth moving down and away and is led to the remaining draped cloth where the movement stops so you are left staring at the cloth. You can argue that the heat is on the feet so you won't notice the cloth, but the cloth is within the 22 degree field of focus field so it is effectively the same spot. If the cloth was literally "dropped" with no residual tension, it could help take the heat off the move but the eye is drawn to tension and movement and they both collide on the reveal.

Yes, it's very practical and Jimmy has some very clever ideas on the set and clean up and he's a great guy. I just wish we could create a different reveal that would lead the eye away from the exact method.

It could be 2 cloths with the first one lowered first, then the second one whipped away for the reveal. I don't want to make it more complicated, but I'm sure there's a really cool answer here somewhere!
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3505 Posts

Ray, I like your two-cloth idea,
a tab of velcro at the corners might facilitate this.

It might also help... as the cloth is dropped
(and that's one reason I suggested an *accidental* drop)
the other opposite arm is raised high in the air,
in a gesture of victory or flying,
to bring the eyes back up from the iffy areas?

What ya think?
Walt
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2527 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
That idea sounds like it has real potential... I know these are just details but sometimes I have nothing better to do!
Ray Pierce
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2287 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
I have had all the levitations out there

From the Wild Levitation to the Criss Angel, to the Icarus, to Skywalker, and have seen One, and as well as the FLY.
I know those are geared more for street and close up situations, but let me tell you the Magellan Master Levitation beats them out of the water, with the Skywalker coming in second.
Why you may ask?

Durable prop, ease of use after some practice.
Flexibility, timing, structuring, and easy to carry.

I will be honest I havent used this in from of a live audience but I spent some time with Jimmy yesterday and I used to own the original Magellan when it first came out, and I didn't like it that much because there were many things wrong with it, but after I met Jimmy and we sessioned one night at TAOM, and plus another day yesterday, I love the new look, design, and added features Jimmy has made to the magellan master levitation.
Is it worth $1500? You bet ya.......
This is of course if you are going to use it and perform it.
Even if you are just a collector and want to have something cool to show your buddies, this is it!
There are many things that work with this new system.
I recommend for anyone that is serious about purchasing a levitation that will not break, and is usable for parlour or stage, contact Jimmy Fingers and he will take care of you.
He is a very nice guy, and is willing to go out of his way to make sure you perform this levitation like he does.
I am in the practice mode now, as I just got the new version, but I am sure I will use this for upcoming gigs during Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Xmas.
Do yourself a favor and purchase one of these, it looks like you are floating in mid air with no support, plus you get some height.

Thanks

Alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
PaxMentis
View Profile
Loyal user
Long Beach, CA
239 Posts

Profile of PaxMentis
Walt,
Your idea sounded great, so we tried it with a young and upcoming illusionist. His biggest problem, once levitated was balance. Quickly reaching for something when that high up presents a potential safety problem for the performer. However, it did achieve the purpose of your suggestion. Perhaps he could qualify for a spot on the World's Most Dangerous Magic. For those of you who might be interested, the woman who purchased the Magellan Master Levi is putting it up on Magic Auction this week as it was purchased only for a large scale charitable event which is now over.
Bill
Do not go where the path may lead, but go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2287 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
I don't have a problem with Balance on the Magellan.

Its very sturdy.

I don't see how you could lose your balance.

alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2527 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Alex...

We're talking about a more active motion which draws the focus more away from the method. Yes, it might require some practice and balance but I just want to find a way to take the heat or at least some focus off of the method if possible.
Ray Pierce
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1169 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Thanks to everyone for the ideas and interest in this piece. I'm very proud of how far that it has come during conception and implementation.

My only concern with adding extra cloth is possibly muddying the waters of an already astounding effect.

Remember how eerie it looked when you first saw the zombie ball between the hands of the performer, and it floated there, just an inch from all visibly potential touching points? That's what we're dealing with here, but the misdirection is the size of the cloth and the size of the person floating.

Please listen to the audience responses when the cloth is dropped. These are much more intense than when the supports are removed from a Harbin/Gwynne walkaway or when a Gamolo begins its ascent. The acting and mime being used to sell the miracle are more than enough to overcome the logical shortcomings that we as magicians are overly aware of.

There are some effects in magic that just seem to work in the eyes of an audience. Like a chair suspension. Or a broom suspension. A pole suspension. The workings are obvious, and, yet, the wonder is still there.

Please ask anyone who has seen this live... It's a show stopper!!! Like none that I've ever seen. And I've seen a LOT of magic.

Henry Hay talks about magic objects that get away with being magic props, but only because of their simplicity. A linking ring. A zombie ball. A wand. These get a pass, because they are so obviously what they are.

The sheet in the Magellan levitation is very simple and, in it's current version, completely ungimmicked, finally. During the effect, it does exactly what it's supposed to do, in the natural way that it does it. It drapes, covers, falls, drags, folds. It does common, known, predictable things. In the minds of the audience, things that are independent of the performer floating next to and in front of it.

Please don't overthink this in a magicians' way until you've seen it done in it's current form in front of a live audience. All logic goes out the window when the elements of mime, subtlety, simplicity and the sheer but elegant brute strength of unseen welded steel are combined with the delicate, soft flowing characteristics of a common satin sheet.

All of these aspects of what is seen to be happening on stage combine to create a simply beautiful experience of floating upward in mid air.

Thanks again for your interest in this project!

Jimmy Fingers
http://www.magellanlevitation.com
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3505 Posts

I think what Ray and I have been sessioning about here is really “acting”…
How using techniques of the actor’s trade,
may take more heat off method,
and add more focus on the magical.

Jimmy is right that simple is better,
but in performance, the more nuance, subtle misdirection, and leading,
that can be built into the presentation the more audience reaction one will get.

Some mime, perhaps the upward gesture, perhaps the fall of the cloth…
I think these are worth experimenting with to strengthen the performance made possible by the prop.

I worked on refinements to the floating-ball for about fifteen years
before I felt comfortable adding it to my regular show,
all to explore and expand the magic while distracting from method.

I’d love to see a few of the performers who are now doing this and getting top reactions,
post their video clips, so this piece can keep on growing and evolving,
just as versions of the floating-ball have grown over the decades.

My two-cents,
Walt
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2527 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Jimmy...

I don't doubt that this can get a good reaction. My concern is how much it is really fooling people and is there something small that can be done to make it even better. Walt has had some great ideas and I love taking that path as well.

There are some great self levitations out and I know that all of them have a method and that the method is always the weak link. I also know that yours has MANY great features to it and you've gone out of your way to make it the good. Is it possible to be better and more deceptive? I always push for that.

Deception is really a very difficult thing to assess in the real world as the people that talk to you are for the most part the ones that are fooled. It's a hard sample to really determine. You brought up the Zombie which I think is a great example. A true equivalent to this levi might be floating the zombie ball, then removing the cloth totally... except for where the you know what is. As you start removing the cloth there is an increased expectation for total amazement. By taking it away, the audience is waiting for that full view. Then the cloth slows down... and stops short so the audience is led to that single spot and left staring at it by the motion of the cloth. Everything else is open, except for one single spot so there is no other possible method or path for the audience to be led to.

What makes the zombie brilliant in my mind is that the method is over shadowed by the movement of the cloth in other directions. It would be like doing the dancing cane with only one hand. is it possible? of course but the second hand is where the misdirection comes from. The zombie cloth is the same. If you were to just wrap the cloth around the "special something" then wave it around... would it fool anyone?

What about using a TT for a silk vanish... then showing the clean hand totally empty one finger at a time, then opening one finger at a time of the other hand, but stopping short with the thumb still concealed. The mind is led to the solution.

I believe in the case of your levitation, the TT and the zombie, the method is brilliant. But as an example, when Joe created the Zombie it was a relatively simple effect. Look at the development of this simple effect over the past 40 years from basically the original method. Who would have dreamed how many great magicians would take this and create mind numbingly brilliant routines with it.

It's always exciting to be around when a great method is created like you've done here. Now, how can it be staged for maximum effectiveness? I encourage everyone to get this an play with it. I think we're going to see some amazing ideas come out in the next few years as more people start creating new and different routines with this device.

Congratulations!
Ray Pierce
semo
View Profile
Loyal user
San Jose, CA
300 Posts

Profile of semo
Hey guys,

I have the earliest of versions of the Magellan. Jimmy's made leaps and bounds in improvements on this piece since. However, the sessioning you are discussing here is relavent to all models. I'll give my opinons here for what they are worth since I've had this for years and have sessioned many times with Jimmy.

I don't believe the dual sheet is a good idea. I can't knock the creative thinking, but I think it muddies the waters from this simple and powerful effect.

The accidental drop is a great idea. It allows a levitation to have some character, comedy and fun, as opposed to just a puzzle or just a beautiful floating act that most levitations create.

When I perform it, I throw my right hand up high to the right as the cloth drops. I feel that this accomplishes 2 things.

First, it splits attention from the movement of the cloth, to Ray's point. In fact, I attempted to make my arm gesture a larger movement than the cloth, or at least shortly after start of the drop so the eye follows the hand. Although, since you are floating, the heat is pretty much squarly on the feet. But, I felt the large gesture allowed more of a comprehensive view of the whole picture of my whole body floating 15 inches above the stage, rather than a laser focused heat ray on just my feet.

Secondly, I added the gesture as an applause cue. Not that they really needed that, since they are pretty much gasping and swearing at the time, but it gives that added non-verbal message of "it's ok to applaud and react now".

I think if you try to add much more to the piece, you may defeat the purpose of it's simplicity. You walk out with a cloth, float up behind it, drop the cloth and show for a few seconds, raise the cloth again, lower, and throw the cloth to the floor to take your bow. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

It's pure magic in it's purest form. No box, no table, no backdrop and can be in someone's home where they know a guy is not behind the curtain.

Just some thoughts. This has worked for me during actual performances.
Scott Emo, co-creator of Fenced In Illusion - There's nothing better than breaking free!

And creator of Sacred - The Child Conjuring Illusion - Because there is nothing more magical than the creation of a child.

Find them at: http://www.masterofillusions.ca/
Cesar Munoz
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of Cesar Munoz
Is there a weight limit on this?
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1169 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Hi Cesar,

I've had up to 285 lbs on this with no bending or issues.

I've never had one bend or break yet. However, I will warranty and repair/gusset any unit that experiences a bend. At that weight, any problems would be more with the health of the presenter than the unit's capability.

My machine shop will provide strategic support in vulnerable areas if there is ever an issue. Just haven't seen an issue after a substantial number of these have been delivered.

Thanks for your interest!

Jimmy Fingers
http://www.jimmyfingers.com
http://www.magellanlevitation.com
iurgi
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of iurgi
A summary:
On August 30, 2010 I paid Jimmy for Western Union. In the week after the package arrives in Madrid Jimmy. Spanish Post Office a letter asking me an affidavit of the contents of package and price for customs clearance. I submit this documentation on 9.
I have not heard from the Spanish Post Office.
What happened? Spain returned the package to the U.S. Jimmy makes me send it again. Again from Madrid back to return it.
Spanish Post Office still does not tell me anything.
I ask him to send it by UPS.
Houston collected the package on 31 January 2011. On day 2 UPS called me from Barcelona to say that the package is in Spain and check data for customs. Today, February 7, I paid customs and have given me in my house at 480 kilometers from Barcelona.
I do not write English, use the Google translator. If something is not understood the message is: Do not send anything to Spain by the Spanish Post Office.
Thanks Jimmy for your interest both for its customers.
Olle Tro.
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Olle Tro.
Bureaucracy is paralysing many things - sometimes it's even killing projects!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » The Magellan Master Levitation-Live audience videos (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL