The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Magic and teaching probability & statistics (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Although it's not technically magic, demostrations of non-transitive dice and non-transitive coin flips would be an eye-popper.
maposner
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of maposner
Yes, Out of This World is a great trick! For those who don't know it, in short, the students/victims guess the color of 20 or so cards, and, in the end get each one right. I use it frequently in my classroom. I also use a modification (shown to me by Larry A. Smith), where they get one wrong, allowing the use of a binomial formula rather than simple independence calculations. I presented on this at the US Conference on Teaching Statistics in 2007 and was invited back to present it in 2009. Some details on the statistics behind it can be found on my website at http://www07.homepage.villanova.edu/mich......tics.pdf The students really do appreciate the trick and I refer to it often when talking about hypothesis testing. You can find a version of it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCWxSDeGR1I (Thanks to Larry Lesser for the Youtube link - my shtick is slightly different, but the crux of the trick is the same).
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
This paper is a great read.

Regards,
Mike
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
"That seems so much better than to use magic in religion class."

both magic and religion are fake; seems like a good match
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2011-03-19 15:54, R.E. Byrnes wrote:
both magic and religion are fake . . . .

Except, of course, when (at least) one of them isn't.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2010-02-26 13:10, Scott Cram wrote:
. . . non-transitive dice and non-transitive coin flips . . . .

I love these!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Magic and teaching probability & statistics (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL