The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » I don't live up to the female stereotype.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

GamingNinja
View Profile
New user
Hayward, CA
35 Posts

Profile of GamingNinja
I'm a jeans and t-shirt, hair braided, rough and tumble female. Form what I've seen and heard, females in magic tend to be the total opposite, makeup, dresses, etc.

Since I don't and refuse to play the part of the female in magic stereotype, how will that affect performing in the long run? Will people lose interest because I'm not showing skin, or will it not matter is my performance is on key?
corsufle
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of corsufle
Quote:
On 2009-09-10 02:50, GamingNinja wrote:
I'm a jeans and t-shirt, hair braided, rough and tumble female. Form what I've seen and heard, females in magic tend to be the total opposite, makeup, dresses, etc.

Since I don't and refuse to play the part of the female in magic stereotype, how will that affect performing in the long run? Will people lose interest because I'm not showing skin, or will it not matter is my performance is on key?

In my opinioin, it won't matter so long as your character is compelling and your show is entertaining.
Who is the Fool with the guitar?
Find out at HobbyhorseMusic.com
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Oprah doesn’t show any skin and Bruce Springsteen usually performs in jeans and a tee shirt. Are these not two of the most successful entertainers of today?

Rules were made to be broken.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
GamingNinja
View Profile
New user
Hayward, CA
35 Posts

Profile of GamingNinja
Quote:
On 2009-09-10 08:29, Ken Northridge wrote:
Oprah doesn’t show any skin and Bruce Springsteen usually performs in jeans and a tee shirt. Are these not two of the most successful entertainers of today?

Rules were made to be broken.

LOL Good point, I hadn't even thought of that!
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
You work with what you've got. I'm not the 'top hat and tails type', so I go with just being myself, with a little twist - when I'm wearing my black fedora my friends know I'll be doing some magic.

Disclaimer: I'm an amateur, not a pro. YMMV.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
FairieSnuff
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of FairieSnuff
Yup .... I would agree with that .... being female and in magic/mentalism is different anyway from the norm, so go that extra mile and be more different...

At least you will be remembered and recognised if you are unique...

F x
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
When you look at the "style" of female magician you mention, you have to realize that it sort of grew out of the older stage role of misdirection that women in magic had for so long. Now that we are more into being the magician in our own right, we can own it and set the style we are most comfortable in. As a person of size, and definitely NOT one for makeup, I have a few approaches to what I do in my magic, and very little of it matches anyone's stereotypes for "magician".
welcome aboard!
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
In my opinion, if you tried to play up to the stereotype you described, it would be bad and hurt your magic. If it's not you, you won't feel comfortable and natural, which is important when doing magic. Be yourself and you will be more natural. Now if you are going to be preforming at a Tux type dress occasion, dress up. Otherwise, being anything other than your self** will only hurt your magic. **This, of course, doesn't apply to people who preform as a character.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
I say you're unique and will be memorable. Good on you! Welcome to you as well.

Chrystal
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Everyone is unique in their own way. Play up your own uniqueness, personality and character that brings up the special YOU. The magic comes from YOU.
Bambu
View Profile
Elite user
California
498 Posts

Profile of Bambu
Regarding less of man or women talent is what counts in any performing art if you are good you will succeed.
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
751 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
You'll need to show as little skin as possible.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Dear GamingNinja,

I've never been the dress wearing type. In fact I feel that "Dolling Up" is just as much "drag" when women do it as when a man does it.(It is certainly no more natural to women.)

That being said I good grooming is very important and frankly the more talented you are the more you can get away with in the market place as far as deviation from the norm. (As if being a female magician were the norm.)

Wether I like it or not (not) I do wear make-up and a wig (my own hair is not professional looking) I wear dress slacks a blouse and a vest for the most part. Do I think I'd be working more if I were 25, thin and dressed to kill? You bet! But "I yam what I yam" and I can do some great magic and I don't let that stop me.

Look around. There are lots of men Magicians who are no "Lance Burton" (all but one in fact) who are performing and people are enjoying their acts.

Be clean, professional, amazing, persistent, a good business person and lucky and you'll make it. Good Luck!

-Mary Mowder
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
979 Posts

Profile of espmagic
I heard some advice on the radio the other day: dress for the venue, and be yourself. So, if you're going to the ballgame, wear a ball cap and jeans. If you're going to the black-tie-tails event, dress up. But be comfortable in your clothes, and be yourself. After all, when the clothes come off, you are who you are!

Lee
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
This is old but I just had to comment...

Man or women, when the clothes come off, you better not be on stage unless its a VERY unusual venue Smile
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Alexanderia_the_Great
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of Alexanderia_the_Great
Here is my first network tv appearance. I set a record for an extreme strait jacket escape getting out of a regulation strait jacket but secured by 50 feet of additional chains and 10 padlocks. The interesting thing is that so far all my press has identified me as escape mom or mom's great escape or some variation on the fact that I am a mom. The funny thing is I love being a mom but it is not what I lead with but what the media has picked up on. Here is trying to break a mold check it out and comment if you please. And if you like it send to friends who might be interested as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQMLS90Defw
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Congratulations Alexandria!

Both on the record and the appearance. You got some good coverage and a lot of uncut time. Your husband was very helpful in keeping interest and focus (considering the news folks think they have to keep things going and changing every second).

Similar to you, I don't particularly like my gender to be mentioned in publicity for a Show but I think that might be a mistake. I could be over sensitive because of the "you're pretty good for a girl" comments I've gotten in many endeavors throughout my life.

You know what they say, "Any Publicity is good Publicity!". The Mom aspect does differentiate you from others and all the marketing types say that is one of the biggest hurtles. While being a Mom is not a difference that particularly serves the client it does make you more memorable and searchable on the internet.

While I know you would rather be remembered for your skill in escapes, it isn't all bad and I don't think you have much control over how they cover your story. The best you can do is try to impress them with your Magical accomplishments and leave it in the lap of the media "gods".

All in all I think it was a good thing for your career.

- Mary Mowder
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Ya know there is an old saying in the movie industry that I learned from my mom, who edited Fan Magazines for the movie studios in the big studio era...

"It doesn't matter of they say good things about you or bad things about, just so long as they talk about you." or to put the way Mary quoted it "Any publicity is good publicity."

While Im not sure I go THAT far (the children's magician arrested here in boston about half a year ago for child molestation did NONE of us any good, publicity wise), there is some wisdom in it.

The studios went to great lengths to craft star-personalities that would "click" with the mass audience. if oen didn't work, they tried another. The press seems to have found one for you that resonates... so if you don't absolutely despise "escape mom" as your image, I'd jump on it as a public image that already seems to have momentum.
Alexanderia_the_Great
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of Alexanderia_the_Great
Oh I hope I didn't give the wrong impression here. I love being a mom and am quite proud of it. It is probably natural that the mom things comes out for that very reason. I had a few people comment to me that the mom thing is limiting and to "drop it". Since I really didn't promote it I am not sure I can drop it either. As you have suggested sometimes the media grabs onto the easiest hook and for me since there really has never been a mom/escape artist they are going with it and it sounds like I should too. hey I am just excited to be making noise like this 10 months removed from my first public performance. Hoenstly I am thrilled so long as they get the name right which to date has been a challenge to them. My stage name is Alexanderia the Great and so far in the newspaper articles and tv appearances I get Alex, Donna, my real last name, and a few combos (lol). My poor hubby keeps adding keyword to my web site hoping to catch the variations. I kinda thing "escape mom" might end up being the easiest.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Heh. If you don't mind it my advice is to play it for what its worth. How old are your kid(s)/ Old enough that they might enjoy being on stage? If so you could make it a family thing and let them put a pair of handcuffs on or something Smile

if you find it limiting you can always re-invent yourself later.

But that's just my half-arsed opinion as someone who decided NOt to pursue a stage career.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » I don't live up to the female stereotype.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL