The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » How do I remove the rust? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

greatscott
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of greatscott
I worked with ventriloquism several years ago, and was actually pretty good with it. But, I set it aside, and have not worked with it for the past 27 years. I am thinking about doing it again, to add to my regular kid's show. The problem I'm having, is that I find I'm very rusty. Can anyone give me suggestions on how to get back in the flow of it, in the quickest way possible? What type of excersises, or practice should I do?
Thanks,
David
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
WD40 usually does the job Smile

I think practicing the figure/puppet manipulation and rehearsing the routines and lines again will also help... Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
610 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
Many figuremakers, including Selberg and Detweiler if I'm not mistaken, DISCOURAGE using WD40 inside the figure's head. Yes it will lubricate the frictions (and may solve the rust problem) but it will make them dirty and might damage them in the long run.

A simple sewing machine oil is better, they said.
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
...I don't think he meant literal rust Smile WD40 was a joke Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
greatscott
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of greatscott
Wanlu, I understood the joke. I thought it was funny. Thanks
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Scott,
Constant practice is the fastest way to improve. Try doing the alphabet, tounge twisters using labials and your script. Practice in the shower, in the car, any time you have a chance. Also video tape actual rehearsals and watch them to see what areas need improvement.
Have fun!
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

greatscott
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of greatscott
Thanks for that tip.
Practice is always the best thing to do, it just seems to be going slower than I remembered it going when I first started, in the 70's. Does that have anything to do with the fact that I've gotten older, and maybe slower (haha)?
The best thing I could have done is to have never put it aside.
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
610 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
Quote:
On 2009-09-10 21:09, Wanlu wrote:
...I don't think he meant literal rust Smile WD40 was a joke Smile

Ooops sorry. When I saw the words WD40, rust, and figure, the tip I posted above automatically entered my mind... And I was so excited to share it that I didn't read the entire thread.

Anyway, remember that tip when you need it in the future.
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Tom's suggestion is spot-on.
I started in show business as a vent, then added magic. Did it for years...then stopped doing quite so much in the late 70's, save for a show a year for the developmentally disabled at a hospital (This is the 40th year!)

But, since it was only a show a year, and since the vent stuff wasn't highly scripted (What enchanted the clients more than anything was one-on-one with my figure, Louie), I got sloppy with lip control.

So, about three years ago I started reaching out to vent groups (like this one)...I purchased some new figures (Including one from Wanlu!)...and started getting serious about vent again.

My best rehearsal time, for getting rid of the rust, was driving. I started singing songs in a figure vent voice (For one of my figures named Huck). At stoplights I'd pop down the sun flap thing, look into the mirror on the back, and sing a line or two, watching my lips (Not more than a line or two, or I'd get some trouble when the light changed!)
And I found that spending weeks on the SAME song was useful (I used "Moonlight Bay"), because it helped to focus on specific sounds with which there had been lip movement the LAST time the song was sung.
I knew I was doing pretty well when I pulled up to a stoplight, singing, with my window open, and the people in the car next to me started looking for my passenger!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » How do I remove the rust? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL