The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Mentalists Dream Box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
I guess I do not understand this item. If it cannot be shown empty at the beginning, then why are there any "workings" at all? It would seem that the same thing can be accomplished with no operational pieces of any type. Something is slid in, but something else is in the box when it is opened.

Gianni
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Gianni,

But what item on the market is totally hands off? Even Larry Becker has endorsed this over his Chameleon box.

I think that is a great selling point for this box. If the performer just goes through the motions not emphacizing/selling the hands off to the audience, any sw***h bag would work.

If Im wrong, please tell me what is this good (in concept). Im seriously interested in this item and have spoken with Max about it. Im sure he and others who have performed with this will chime in.

Regards

Candin

Quote:
On 2009-11-16 22:42, takeachance wrote:
One question I want to ask before buying is, can the box be held so the slot is on top while collecting the questions without fear of triggering the workings or upsetting anything? I ask because the spec may rotate it in their hand while collecting the papers rather than leave it on the side. There are some very strong endorsements from serious and trusted people here so it seems Max has made available something very special.

From what I understand about the workings, this will not matter. As long as they do not drop the box, you are okay Max told me they can (and be encouraged) to shake it in order to "mix" the billets up.

Since the padlock is on the side, I suspect this will be a deterent for turning or viciously shaking said item.

C
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Many thanks for taking the time to answer Candin, appriciated.
Neil
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Welcome Neil. Ideas floating around my head tonight.

One thing no one has mentioned (its probably on a routines list somewhere) is this box can be used as a ballot box. I mean is it really that much added to the AWE of the effect by having a volunteer carry the box around to tables/seats to collect the billets? Someone may say it gives the spectators in their seats a chance to see there is no funny business.

Why not have the spectators come on stage one at a time or line up, and place the billets inside the box? I see the advantages of this by:

1) Reduces the risk of the volunteer carrying the box around to the audience and dropping it, shaking it violently etc.

2) Still being hands off (and stressing this point more then once), the performer can watch the specators insert the billets one at time ensuring the billets are sealed. Also, if need be, have the spectators examine the box if they want making sure there is no false bottom etc. What I would say to each or a few is "please feel free to examine the box if you want."

3) to me this seems faster then a person wondering around the audience and it keeps the focus on the stage and the mic. Not as much down time.

The volunteer can then be asked to pick up the box and give it a gentle shake to mix the billets, put it down then open it and then go into your best act. Examination here also may be the call.

I would like comments on this please by owners of the box and non-owners.

PS: If you ask me if Dunninger did it like this, I honestly do not know. If he did, he still had to put his hands on the box.

Thanks for your time.

C
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Max was kind enough to PM me, and I think your suggestion is exactly how I would play it anyway C. This would also play fantastic for trade shows etc. Really nice bit of kit, as we say.
N
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Yeah Max is really supporting his invention. There are so many things you can do with this. One is a newspaper prediction which I love but have to meet with client before the show handing them a locked box. It plays extremely well but still I have to get my hands dirty and it is not streamlined involving only one person.

One more thought. If dealing with 15-20 total billets, have each billet writer hold their hand up with their billet. Have a volunteer/helper just collect the billets and bring them up and load the box. You could then have the same volunteer shake/open the box and extract the three billets for your Q n A or toss a brick out and use someone else or one per color billet etc.

Play a voting game, blue for president, yellow for governor, red for senator using fake first names. Voting booth is now open. Smile You can also tailor your Q n A to use in any corporate environment selling your bookings even more. WIll sales increase and if so what year? Will the new product line adapt to the downed economy? A little preshow work will work here. What I mean preshow research of the company. Comedy could come into play here. Find out who the CEO is etc and phrase the question like: Will Mr Thomas be giving a bonus this year? Cold reading is all you have to do here. They will never forget something tailored to their work environment.

Since this item is something never before offered until this summer, there are so many options and the performances have just begun. One of Larry Becker's serial num ideas is quick and simple. Just have a spectator insert a folded dollar inside the box and another spec open it and you divine the SSN (this I read on open forum AD for his Chameleon box).

The box of course is a tool no matter how well its made. It serves it one and only purpose in my opinion, its self-working and the spectator does all the work. Your job is all theatre and presentation.

C

WOW Neil, trade shows, nice! Having it sitting on the booth, boy how easy does it get!

Its 1 AM, Im in the middle of a meteor shower so more brainwaves, no matter how good or bad just have to keep going, too late to stop now. Smile
ranpink
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
252 Posts

Profile of ranpink
Max showed me the Box via ichat. It's amazing! You could use it as a raffle for choosing participants for the show. You know, the pre-showed participants or even accomplices. Very Very sneaky. Max puts a lot of love into his creations and this is a masterpiece. I want one!!! and everything else on his site!!!
Creator of CUT

T-REX

Abnormal Behavior

ZEN SYSTEM

tāctilis

White Room

Think Pink - Central Intelligence

http://www.worldwidemagic.com
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Hey there Ran,

Lucky guy, got Ichat.

I like the idea of the raffle! 15-20 people put their name on a billet and insert into the box including your PS helpers! Ideas flowing like molasses tonight.

Sky is the limit fo sho with this utility.

C

Posted: Nov 17, 2009 9:41am
I cannot for the life of me remember the name of that marketed hanging plexi-glass prediction box that Copperfield and others use for lottery predictions. I saw him perform last year but his sound system wasn't working so we could not hear him the entire show. That caused a phenomenon called "Cant remember because of auditory nervosis." It's a brand new ailment and I have a lawyer working on this for me.

Anyway, I cannot remember if that prediction box was completely hands off or not. I asked my wife and she can't remember if he had an assistant or audience member remove the prediction.

I looked it up long ago and back then it sold for about $3500. I cannot remember any item that is hands off (unless that one is) other then this item.

Thanks

C
AlluTallu
View Profile
Veteran user
Finland
394 Posts

Profile of AlluTallu
Candin,

is this what you are referring to: http://www.wellingtonent.com/products/predict.html

It's not hands off, it needs an assistant Smile

-Aleksi
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Hi Alesi,

No that is not the one. Ive seen this one before as the assistant wheels it in and out of play.

The one Im referring to is the one that is HANGING throughout the entire performance. Over 3K also.

I don't think it is totally hands off either but I could be wrong. I think I remember the performer removing the prediction or the assistant.

Thanks though!

C
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
You're probably thinking of Dony Wayne's Dream Vision, which Copperfield performed. If so, it is an assisted routine.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Doug Malloy also has one.. Very pricey as well!
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Thanks both of you. I thought they were not hands off.

IF anyone know a completely hands off prediction, please chime in. I have never heard of one.

Candin
Max Krause
View Profile
V.I.P.
I should be creating magic with my
1188 Posts

Profile of Max Krause
Jesse,

Hope the box does everything you want it to do and more. Thank you again for all the kind words and please try not to kill anybody. Smile

Lior,

Thank you so much for the compliments. It is really great to hear you thought so highly of my latest release. From one creator to another, THANK YOU!

Eric,

Thank you for your feedback and I look forward to hearing what you finally decided to do with your Box.

Hbwolkov,

As much as I would like to have a sale my costs have gone up and that is why there was a price increase in the first place. I can only say that once you get it, it will pay for itself the first time you use it in a show.

Candin,

I hope I have been able to answer all the questions you may have but you can always reach me if you have any others.

Sokarnl,

Due to the way the box is designed you cannot show the box empty. This is not a production device. It is meant to be an invisible tool used in plain sight. If this is used correctly the audience should never suspect a thing. There is absolutely no reason for them to question anything.

Aceofhearts,

The voting thing is definitely a nice premise. You can have a lot of fun with that.

Gianni,

Sorry for the delay but if you read what I said to Sokarnl you will have your answer.

Craig,

Trying not to take anyone's advice and keep the price right where it is. Smile

Aukt,

Very much looking forward to your very long, very positive review very soon.

Takeachance,

AS I mentioned via PM the way the box is designed there is a clear way to hold it. Only the most dense of spectators would not be able to discern how they should handle the box. of course spectator management can eliminate any issue. Also, for those of you that are uncomfortable letting the audience handle the box you can place it on a table, let an assistant hold it or hold it yourself. The latter two can be done with several other products all ready out there albeit with less billets.

Ran,

Thank you so much for the kind words and I am glad you liked what you saw. Your bills should hopefully ship out tomorrow. Smile

Once again, thank you all for the wonderful and constructive feedback!

Max
aukt
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of aukt
Thanks for all the pm's, I promise review is coming soon.

but in short, in the meantime, this is the best investment I've made in probably four five years. My most important items are (in no particular order)

labco mindbuster
mentalists dream box
13 steps to mentalism.
RenzIII
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of RenzIII
Max, your killing me with this thing , lol
I have to have one, look for my order next month.
Christmas Gift to myself, hee hee!!!!

I know about all the other boxes and methods
out here, people this is the Rolls Royce of
such type of devices, it's won't get any better
than this.

Or in hip-hop jargon, this box is off the hook!!!!!!
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
Last night, I performed the 'Mentalist Dream Box' with great success by combining it with Max's fabulous 'Serial Killer bills' for what was an incredibly fair 'hands off' serial number diviation.

I instructed four spectators to place their bills into the box then two different persons joined me on stage to select a bill from the lot. I revealed the numbers 'Osterlind' style by feeding the information back and forth between both spectators while increasing my delivery and pace with each number....and yes, it KILLED!

Jared (Big Smile)
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2009-11-22 12:50, Jared wrote:
Last night, I performed the 'Mentalist Dream Box' with great success by combining it with Max's fabulous 'Serial Killer bills' for what was an incredibly fair 'hands off' serial number diviation.

I instructed four spectators to place their bills into the box then two different persons joined me on stage to select a bill from the lot. I revealed the numbers 'Osterlind' style by feeding the information back and forth between both spectators while increasing my delivery and pace with each number....and yes, it KILLED!

Jared (Big Smile)

Jared,

I use to do several different serial number divinations but none seemed clean. WIth different bills these days, crisp vs old bills etc. Now you got me thinking about this in a whole new light, thanks!

C
Max Krause
View Profile
V.I.P.
I should be creating magic with my
1188 Posts

Profile of Max Krause
Aukt,

Thank you again for the kind words. I am so happy to hear that this has been working so well for everyone.

Renzo,

Thank you sir. I am sure you will find a myriad of ways to use this and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Jared,

So happy it worked so well for you. I have posted a little tip on using the bills with the Dream Box on my forum. Make sure to check it out!

Candin,

So happy you are doing your homework with this. My only wish is that it will exceed your expectations. Always here to answer any and all questions.

Speaking of which. I have added three complete routines for the Dream Box. Make sure to check them out! Hopefully it will springboard other ideas!

Best regards,
Max
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
FYI:

Max has added some new products to use with the MDB on his website that I find interesting. Before I saw them, I was thinking a lottery prediction or dream vacation routine was too perfect. Also, I thought the different color stickeys may become more of a hassle when used with billets. I was pleasently surprised to see the uniqueness and cleverness that went into these new additions. I really like the new stuff that can make mindreading more entertaining and self-working. Defintely worth a look.

C
Quote:
On 2009-11-24 19:34, sleightofhand1971 wrote:
Aukt,

Thank you again for the kind words. I am so happy to hear that this has been working so well for everyone.

Renzo,

Thank you sir. I am sure you will find a myriad of ways to use this and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Jared,

So happy it worked so well for you. I have posted a little tip on using the bills with the Dream Box on my forum. Make sure to check it out!

Candin,

So happy you are doing your homework with this. My only wish is that it will exceed your expectations. Always here to answer any and all questions.

Speaking of which. I have added three complete routines for the Dream Box. Make sure to check them out! Hopefully it will springboard other ideas!

Best regards,
Max

LOL, somehow my post got added after yours....too many mentalists on this thread.Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Mentalists Dream Box (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL