The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Airline Travel & Escape Gear (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
Does anyone know whether StraitJackets - Handcuffs are allowed on an aircraft as hand-luggage on international flights? (flying to Seattle in July - yipee).

After hearing about Margarette's experience, I was thinking that it may be wise to pack the more expensive items in my carry-on bag, but have also heard that if you've got something you shouldn't, it gets confiscated (and not returned).

Any advice appreciated ....

James.
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi James,

I am pretty sure that they are not allowed on board.

David Straitjacket
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Dear James, I feel that any type of restraint would be taken. I traveled to the Indy Escape artist show back in April and risked everything I took over in stored luggage. I took nothing that could be seized or draw any suspicion on board with me.

Ian
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
Hello James,
Even 15 years ago, before the horrors of 9/11, I could not get on a domestic flight here in Canada with any sort of handcuff or manacle in my carry on baggage. Everything had to go in stored and pre- checked luggage. I imagine a straitjacket would have been fine, because it would not have appeared that odd in the x ray scan. But handcuffs and irons were 100% forbidden in carry on baggage. I know because I was stopped with them a number of times. I imagine it would be even more stringent now. Regards, Steve Santini
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Well, you already know what happened to me! When I was making my flight reservation, I did ask about the straitjacket, and they told me that it would not be allowed in my carry on. It may have been my particular airport that told me that, but I thought I'd pass the information along to you. What was recommended to me for the next time I have to fly with all of my gear is to mail it. If I were staying at a hotel, mail it to the hotel, or if I know someone in the city I'm flying to, mail it to him/her. It may cost a bit more, but there would be more of a guarantee that it would make it to the destination.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
Wow. Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I think I may have to write to the airport & the airline and ask ... if I get it in writing that I can take it, and take the letter, all ok.

If they say no ... it may have to be checked! Can't afford to post it. Smile

James.
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Just make sure you get someone in an authority position!! Don't trust what the ticket agent says! On a flight to Florida, the ticket agent said the booster seat I had for my youngest son was FAA regulation. Only AFTER we were on board and seated was I told that it wasn't regulation. It might even do you good to talk to someone in charge of security at the airport. I'd hate for anyone to have to go through what I went through!!

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
Margarette,

Thanks ... yes, it'll have to come from someone in authority!! Smile

James.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
It is amazing how some people behind the counter don't know what to do. You should have been there when I brought rats to the Northwest. To get shipped out, it's amazing how they were shipped with a screen on top and a cardboard box. I wonder if they ever tossed that on the plane, like most luggage is handled. Don.
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
Hello,

I thought that I would give you a quick update on this ... I have spoken to both British Airways, and to Security at Heathrow.

Allowed on as hand luggage are ...

1. Strait Jackets
2. Padlocks

Stuff that has to be checked-in ...

1. Handcuffs
2. Chains
3. Rope

They are going to send me a letter out in the next couple of days to confirm this.

Regards,

James.
escapologist2001
View Profile
Regular user
Connah's Quay, Wales, UK
127 Posts

Profile of escapologist2001
Oh have I had fun with this over the years. Even chains in checked luggage have caused me no end of trouble. Some airports are fine, but Bristol airport really has it in for me. I once had to do a handcuff & chain escape in a screened-off area of airport security to prove that I was carrying this stuff for escapology purposes!

Happy days!! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Airline Travel & Escape Gear (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL