The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Silly things you give to volunteers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I know magicians who give old pictures, toilet seat covers, and catsup packets. Here is what I give: (I need to qualify this with... I'm not dumb enough to give the president of a large corporation a catsup packet).

I give a Cantaloupe to the first helper saying how I appreciate them being the first helper. I've also given used lottery tickets, with white-out saying "I hope you have the same fun scratching the numbers as I did".

This next bit is a cousin to pick-pocketing but without the skill: When I'm in someone's home I'll take a picture, award or certificate, from their wall, and produce it from under a cloth then present it to them telling them how I've heard about their great achievements. Sometimes I'll take a small cement sculpture and do the same, outside, then put it where it belongs and tell them that I'm donating it. Sometimes I'll produce a Cue-ball (theirs naturally) and leave it on their pool table.... once I produced the kids rabbit and watched as they figured out that it not only looked like their rabbit but it WAS their rabbit.

So what do you do?
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
It did not occur to me to give weird stuffs to spectators. What kind of reactions did you get, Jay? Was it a funny reaction from the spectators? Were there any funny remarks they gave you? Just curious.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
It's always funny when you hand your volunteer 5 cents from a roll of coins then you hand the next person 10 cents because "you liked them better" then you make the next volunteer guess what hand it's in and if they don't, you send them back empty handed. (but you switch the nickel for a penny and toss it to them anyway.

Lot's of magicians give away mustard packets and other free stuff from fast food restaurants.... it's free and it's so very cheap - that's why the audience loves it. I've never had someone refuse a packet of relish. don't know why.

But I love giving the host his own college degree that I took from the wall... There is a way to produce it, from a cloth - standing away from all cover. I'm going to put on a DVD.

Small sculpture, or ornamental rocks, from someone's garden make a great production item when you're outside.

If the audience really believes that you're donating a cement statue, they think "what a nice guy" but the host looks at you very puzzled, then they figure out that it's funny and they lean over to explain to a guest that the production item was theirs to begin with - at that moment - the guest stops applauding and looks off into the sky because they know that they have been "had".

So. You mean to tell me that I'm the only person that gives someone their own college degree?
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1024 Posts

Profile of jlibby
That's a great idea, Jay. The wonderful Magic Enhancers CD has a track describing some silly "game-show" prizes for an assistant. This is going to be intergrated into a routine I'm working on. (Note to self: Must get down to business on that!)

Joe Libby
San Antonio, TX
Ugly $5 Report is GOLD!

Grab your copy now:
https://makequickcashonlinenow.co.business
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Jay, I believe you are the only person that gives someone their own college degree and not only that the garden sculpture as well. You have some great ideas there and thanks for sharing.

Hmmmmm ... now I am thinking how I can give someone their own 12 footer sculpture and make it look like I am donating it Smile I don't think I can pull it off as that thing is very very heavy.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2879 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Twinkies
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2879 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
See Abbott's under "So Happy Together" for Twinkies idea- good stuff.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I can't imagine the look of the spectator receiving a very very weird gift. Thanks, Jay, I'll try to have some fun with this idea.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20521 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
A free international dinner for two anywhere in the world. (It is a box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
rockthemike
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
694 Posts

Profile of rockthemike
Would it be okay to announce in the beginning of your show something like, "If you volunteer tonight, you will be leaving with some very nice gifts."
Michael Wong
Wizard
http://michaelwong.says.so
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
If you do, I believe the audience will wait for that moment anxiously. That will also make the kids behave during the show.
Ireland
View Profile
Loyal user
Regina, Sask. Canada
217 Posts

Profile of Ireland
I suggest you pick your volunteers rather than accept whoever comes up..often, they're the people you don't want! As a prize, tell them about the Magic Café!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
To make my audience laugh I would give a volunteer a bobble head of Jay Leslie.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2879 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Why, I give the kid volunteers a package of gummy worms of course.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Quote:
On 2009-11-04 23:03, rockthemike wrote:
Would it be okay to announce in the beginning of your show something like, "If you volunteer tonight, you will be leaving with some very nice gifts."

Just make sure the gifts are really very nice and not something obviously cheap. I would also not say "gifts" unless you are prepared to give more than one gift to each volunteer.
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I agree with Bill here. Once it is announced the volunteer expects something nice and not something silly like a packet of tomato sauce.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Quote:
On 2009-11-05 14:02, Dynamike wrote:
To make my audience laugh I would give a volunteer a bobble head of Jay Leslie.

I like this one better

Click here to view attached image.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Wow! Real magic!
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
When is it going to be released?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
LOL
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Silly things you give to volunteers (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL