We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Gaffless rising card (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1373 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Ok a version without any gimmick (and another idea). Just a paper napkin and a deck of cards.
I credit Gerald Deutsch, who is no longer with us for the first part.
i would crimp a card or if you want to make your life easier force a short corner card.

Overhand shuffle the deck and injog a card above the selection and below the selection, about half an inch.
Put the deck in the left hand. This slight injog should not be visible to the audience from the front. Have a paper napkin prepared. Some, including Gerald do not like a napkin or hankie. this effect is VERY clean if you cover the injogged cards. But it is not easy to cover about 2 plus inches of injogged cards while you are pushing up with a finger, etc. So make it easy and grab the top edges (at the top edge of the deck) of the deck with the thumb and forefinger. next, while covering the bottom of the deck, with the napkin, loosely wrap it around the bottom half of the deck, at the same time pulling the two plunger cards out about 2+ inches. now the bottom of the deck is covered in a napkin, everything is visible and there is nothing to hide. While applying just a little tension to the deck, the selection will rise. Push down slowly on the palm of the hand not holding the deck, or continue this on a table or on any object. lEt it rise slowly. You can do this completely surrounded. No threads, no gimmicks. Bob G, you made me work hard for you. hehe.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2245 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Countrymaven,

Thanks for working so hard for me! Smile I appreciate it very much. I like your idea of injogging the cards only slightly but later injogging them further under the cover of the napkin. I'll give this a try.

Best Regards,

Bob
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1373 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
The justification for the napkin can be, "this cant work if I touch the cards...." Plus, you obviously are not literally touching the cards. The idea is, the napkin is just a way of not touching the cards. Actually, it lets you do this clean and surrounded, without having to resort to the old top card "rise" from the deck. then you can immediately hand them the deck. and napkin if you like.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2245 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I see what you mean: the remark provides a reason to use the napkin, thus misdirecting from the real reason. I think it would be quite mysterious even without the remark, though.
MikeLarkin
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of MikeLarkin
This is one trick where gaffs are 100% worth it for the purity of the effect.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2245 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Not sure I follow you, Mike. Care to elaborate?

Bob
MikeLarkin
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of MikeLarkin
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2021, Bob G wrote:
Not sure I follow you, Mike. Care to elaborate?

Bob

You cannot get a more perfect closeup effect than the Devano rising cards. Some people don't want to use gaffs under any circumstances, but I think it is well worth it for a good rising card effect.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1373 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Hi MIke, I like the Devano rising cards. People really like it. But in the method I shared above, I have had people think they were watching a witch. PLUS HANDING the cards/napkin to them and doing this surrounded. It all comes down to presentation.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2245 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Mike,

I'm pretty sure I have the Devano Rising Cards -- or at least *some* kind of "mechanical" deck. It's taken me some time to realize that, at least in this early-ish phase of my magic education, I prefer not to use gaffs. Not even sure why -- it's just a personal quirk. But you're not the first person on the Café who has expressed the thought that some tricks are just more effective with gaffs than with pure sleight of hand, so I'm quite willing to believe that it's true.

The deck that I mentioned made the cards rise quite quickly, and thus didn't give the eerie, haunted (witch-like, as countrymaven said) feeling that I was after.

See you,

Bob
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2907 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Since the Devano deck was mentioned, we're getting into gaffville. Kundalini Rising from McBride uses a normal deck and that "special something." I think Dave Solomon might have a similar version. These ideas create a very mysterious looking rising card and are FASDIU. There's another one with a piece of monofilament on a pull in your sleeve. Again, the deck is normal. These are good alternatives to a completely ungaffed method.

M
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2245 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I looked up McBride's effect on the Vanishing Magic site, and boy, it sounds impressive (and comes with impressive testimonials). The card rises while the spectator holds the deck! Mike (Powers), do you have experience with this method? I'm curious how well it works, how spectator-figuring-it-out-proof it is, and whether the gimmick is durable.

In the meantime, I'm working on the two-handed rise in Expert Card Technique, which is more or less what countrymaven suggested.

Thanks,

Bob
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1373 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
My experience is the rising card effect is influenced by the presentation and how the card rises. I have tried one where the gaff is in the deck (not Devano) but it just rose too quick and choppy. I would suggest that "failing at first" and NOT having the card rise in the gaffless method I shared really helps. Then having it eerily start to rise, switching hands, etc. HEre the way the card rises and its exact timing is almost completely under your control, unlike most other methods.
I know that it seems that the gaffed method is the best here and I am not denying the right one can't be. But at the same time with a certain presentation I have found the gaffless, surrounded, no gimmick one will blow people away if done right.
I actually appreciate the gentlemen mentioning gaffed versions. You are correct we are after the magic. Not on ticking a box on the MC. Thanks Mike as well. I Need to try the Kundalini and see how that plays.!!!
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2907 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Kundalini can start with a deck in play, add the special something, and then get away with it after the card rises. And, as mentioned, the spectator holds the boxed deck. I think that Jeff recommends using a partial deck. I've seen him do it a few times. Sometimes the spec holds the boxed deck too tightly and he tries to get them to loosen up without saying, "You're holding the box too tightly" which starts exposing the method. If you hold the deck, there are no problems. Solomon's solution involves putting a gaffed pair of cards in play. Then you cop them out and you're clean. The rise looks pretty magical in both cases.

Mike
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2245 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Good to know -- thanks, Mike. Copping is certainly in my future -- I keep finding tricks I want to perform but leaving them alone because I don't know how to get gimmicks out of play. I'm very happy, though -- I now have enough skills that lots of wonderful tricks *are* within my reach. By the way, your on-line collection of video tutorials on sleights (associated with Genii??) has been really useful to me, and will continue to be.

Bob
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3548 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2245 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Enjoyable as always, Pop. This clearly can't have been done by any physical means known to the human race, so I am now a believer in the Spirit World.

Bob
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1373 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
If you are a magician, why wouldn't you make the card rise out of the deck and FALL out? Seeing the card rise above looks good, then the drama falls flat like a deflating balloon. IMHO>
I like to do this in my version of rising cards. What do you think? or feel (since most magicians shoot off the hip or justify based on, so and so's version did it this way......)?
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3144 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2021, countrymaven wrote:
If you are a magician, why wouldn't you make the card rise out of the deck and FALL out?

I can think of two potential reasons.

(1) In terms of the magical argument, let's say I'm capable of real magic, and I can make the selected card rise from the deck. Why would I want it to fall out? I want it in my hands, why not just have it come to my hands?

(2) In terms of visual clarity, there's the Tommy Wonder idea of removing as many distractions as possible at the point of reveal. When he does the card from egg, he actually has a double-facer, for the simple reason that he wants the card to be recognizable instantly, without any extra beat that would be required from turning it over if it came out face-down. But if it falls out...?
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1373 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Yes do the magic man up, let the card rise up and fall out of the deck. it shocks people. no excuses needed if you can't do it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Gaffless rising card (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL