The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Ga-zoinged by a kindygahdnuh (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2114 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
I was doing the table rounds at the crabhouse, and I performed the D'Lites for this little boy who was UTTERLY unamused & indifferent. I kept trying, and right in the middle of my d'lite routine, the kid reached into his pocket & pulled out a pair of his own d'lites (all without a word, and deadpan-faced mind you!)....the server could not stop laughing for over 10 minutes.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3390 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
But, you fail to mention if the kid presented them better than you!
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
BCaldwell
View Profile
Special user
is really regretting his
524 Posts

Profile of BCaldwell
OMG, that is soooooooooooo funny! Seriously, how did you handle it?
:rotf:
"...that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller Smile

~Bob~
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5699 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Several years ago, they began selling D'lites (or a knock off of sorts) at Toy Stores. I've seen them BOTH in KB Toys and at Toys R Us marketed under the name "Magic Light Up Thumb." So now anyone can get these things.

I know I'm going to be in the "minority" but I think the D'lites are terrible! To me they just say "hey look...I have a TT and it lights up!" Nurse Rob (cafe' member) does them in hospital's to great success (he's a nurse and walks up to kids with their IV light on and plucks the light off their IV and does some stuff and then gives it back to them by placing it back on the kids IV) but for me, they're just silly nonsense...at least in a "close up" situation.

Stage may be different...but that's just me...

I remember the first time I ever saw one, my first thought was those E.T. fingers they use to sell back in the 80s. Remember these? It was an index finger the size of Arsenio Hall's and when you touched the top of the finger to an object, it glowed red.

Never knew E.T. was a Magician...tho' he did make plants come back to life...hmmmmm?

At any rate, I'm sorry you got nailed by the young lad. How did you handle the situation afterwards? Not much of an out for that...lol!

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
I've personally never seen the allure of D'lights

do they get good reactions?
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1321 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I've never used them in an actual performance, but every year at Christmas season our local zoo has an event called "Zoo Lights" where the zoo is decorated with light displays. When I visit I carry a d'lite in my pocket and use it when waiting in a line. Kids think it is pretty cool that I can magically move the lights from place to place.

Thanks,
Richard
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1886 Posts

Profile of slyhand
I have used them. I do a couple of transfers then pluck a sponge ball from my finger tips. (light turns into a ball) Then I go into a sponge ball bit.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24218 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I don't use them, but I have a friend who carries one with him all the time. When he gets on an elevator, he plucks the light off the control panel. It freaks people out.

But then again, those aren't kindergartners in restaurants.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
The only routine I use d'light for is: I make a rose from a bar napkin like many a guy attempting to impress a lady. I then lightly blow one it and it begins to glow red like a rose. I then blow it out and hand it to a woman in the audience. I have had great success with this routine.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2839 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
In the restaurant where I worked they had a statue of a lion for kids to sit on in the lobby.I would reach in to the lions mouth and pull out what I called Christmas lights. I told the kids that the lion liked to eat the red lights. After pulling them out and doing a little routine I placed them back in to the lion mouth. It was fun to watch the kids try and do the same.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2839 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On 2009-09-15 20:27, montymagi wrote:
The only routine I use d'light for is: I make a rose from a bar napkin like many a guy attempting to impress a lady. I then lightly blow one it and it begins to glow red like a rose. I then blow it out and hand it to a woman in the audience. I have had great success with this routine.

Great idea..now that's thinking outside the box.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
If you use them as routine they are pretty weak. If you use them in a routine they could be very effective. I did a corporate show with a Taiwanese magician a few years ago and he did a 10 minute stage show to music with no lights except for the lights he produced. He produced light bulbs and glowing canes and it eventually lit up the stage. He did a few effects with D-lites and in his routine they were brilliant.
meyegr
View Profile
Special user
Only able to muster
802 Posts

Profile of meyegr
I believe it is Jay Scott Berry who uses them with a few color changes and spinning in glasses and such (it has been a while since I have seen it). Anyway, I agree they can add to a routine, but not stand on their own, unless you have seen Berry use them (although they are not D'Lites, but another similar device)
BCaldwell
View Profile
Special user
is really regretting his
524 Posts

Profile of BCaldwell
I have seen a 15 minute D'lite routine set to music. JUST D'LITE!!! Ouch!
"...that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller Smile

~Bob~
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Ga-zoinged by a kindygahdnuh (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL