The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Custom Puppet, Who has one? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
Nice character and nice thoughts. I thought it would be an easy switch between dragons but SNoT has his own character and needs a full back story. I also need to write him a song, he loves to dance!
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
The idea for mine came from my Axtell Big Baby routine. (No longer on Youtube...) I liked the idea of an extremely adorable baby that suddenly spouted things that were very inappropriate, yet remained innocent.

At first I thought about Pavlov's Baby, but it has a bit of rascal in it's look. I also considered Wanlu's. I finally decided to take the idea to Mary Ann and she graciously agreed to do it and meet my deadline. I'm very happy with the puppet and using it has already added bits to the original routine.

Donald, I'll have a cigar for you at VentHaven...
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

creativemac
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
834 Posts

Profile of creativemac
I'm sure your wife appreciates the new baby without the pain that normally comes with it's arrival.

:)
Donald Woodford

"Invite a Dummy, to your next function."
http://www.woodynfriends.com
CatLady
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of CatLady
Love the dragon Colin! He has a lot of personality. I'm sure he will be a huge hit with the kids. Tom, I've been using a baby character as part of my vent mask routine, I think the concept has a lot of mileage. Hope you enjoy your new puppet. I look forward to meeting you at Venthaven.
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Look forward to meeting you too.

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2009-09-17 10:11, Bob Baker wrote:
Colin:

For something really different, you might consider Puppet by Cher. She made me a 6 foot long colon puppet (yes, you read that right) that is wonderful. She does not charge extra to make a design exclusive.

http://puppetsbycher.homestead.com/

Bob

Holy cow! That lady has the most awesome puppets I have ever seen! Jim Henson would be proud! I was AFRAID to look at the prices!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
JackieMSmith
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of JackieMSmith
Hi, I'm new to the Café. My husband and I work with kids at church. He is an artist which helps with set building and he also makes his own one of a kind puppets. I came to see who uses custom puppets and apparently they are pretty popular with many out there. Since I am new here I don't know how much I'm allowed to share about our custom designs, but we are working on a web page and will make it our signature soon for anyone interested. I don't want to break any rules. Smile Am I allowed to leave my email address to communicate with anyone interested?
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
Mary Ann Taylor has delightful puppets. I consulted with a lady that had just gotten one for her corporate presentations.

Jackie a couple of other resources besides this wonderful Café, check out

puppethub.com

and

Clinton Detweiller (of Maher fame) blog at

http://ventdj.blogspot.com/

You can see an example of my newest baby puppet...Baby Wah Wah
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2010-08-26 21:46, JackieMSmith wrote:
Hi, I'm new to the Café. My husband and I work with kids at church. He is an artist which helps with set building and he also makes his own one of a kind puppets. I came to see who uses custom puppets and apparently they are pretty popular with many out there. Since I am new here I don't know how much I'm allowed to share about our custom designs, but we are working on a web page and will make it our signature soon for anyone interested. I don't want to break any rules. Smile Am I allowed to leave my email address to communicate with anyone interested?

As far as I know that is OK. I think folks do it all the time. Be blessed by the great PM system here.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
At VentHaven, I had the chance to look at JET Puppets - the Dummy Shoppe. They were incredible creations. Since I have way too many figures, I had no way to justify getting one - until earlier this month. I added a routine that featured a puppet I owned, but it needed some modifications. Went to JET and she agreed to redesign the piece, keeping the essence of the original, yet making it over in her own style.

The process has been great. Her ideas took this puppet far beyond what I expected. Today I saw video and photos of the head. WOW! Can't wait to share this with everyone. Plus, working with them is incredible. I highly recommend their service and quality!
Tom

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

creativemac
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
834 Posts

Profile of creativemac
JET - truly, a creative craftswoman.
Donald Woodford

"Invite a Dummy, to your next function."
http://www.woodynfriends.com
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
The puppet is finished and will soon be shipped. I wanted to share some pics.

The character was originally one of Wanlu's Aliens. The link below is a picture of my puppet being held by Neale Bacon at VentHaven.
http://kadoopsypuppets.multiply.com/phot......photo=12

I wanted some changes, and loved JET's work. I let Wanlu know that JET was recreating the alien and the link below is the new puppet:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbi......09174257

Complete with two blinking eyes.

JET took my ideas and I gave her a lot of freedom to add her own stylings. I am thrilled with the results. Can't wait to actually play with the character.

Tom

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
You have to let your builder do their thing! Make sure you love the work they do, don't expect it not to have their look.
The Alien looks fantastic, need a few visits to the Gym!
ljlvent
View Profile
New user
iowa
95 Posts

Profile of ljlvent
Love your new alien Tom! I just got my new puppet made by JET. I LOVE her and have been very impressed with the ease of the blinking mechanism! JET was so much fun to work with too!

Click here to view attached image.
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1104 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Fabulous looking puppet, Tom. I'm eager to see what you do with him/her/it???

Bob
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Glad you all like it. K.A.R.L. #2 will be part of my new ad-lib routine. I plan on bringing out the character and having the audience tell me its name, where it is from and what it is doing here. Almost a Who's Line Is It or Puppet Up style of presentation.

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Carl Mustaine
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Carl Mustaine
Just thinking about this one. Am I right in thinking you would have to have a voice in mind and design/dream the character from there? I have come up with a comedy voice based on a typical aussie drunk. I have only ever seen one figure that I thought this voice would have suited.

Where do people like dunham go to? For a hard figure any maker could modify a standard figure.

I guess any soft puppet maker could come up with an idea. I guess the difficult thing is to make the puppet so wildly different that people will really remember him/her eg Peanut.

I like the way that Walter has moving eyebrows and mouth only. I wonder if Jeff realised that moving eyes were not necessary, or if someone else pointed it out.

Regards

Carl
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Carl,
Most people, when starting, tend to buy a figure or puppet they like, then try to create a character. Sometimes it works, most often it doesn't. It is usually best to create the character in your mind, develop the personality and voice, then try to find the right puppet to realize the creation. Sounds like you've done that with your Aussie character.

Peanut was designed by Jeff and made by Verna Finley. Verna has retired, Mary Ann Taylor has taken her place as one of the premier soft figure makers. JET is also rapidly gaining attention with a very well crafted puppet and a unique style.

As for Walter, well, there is a history behind him that you can find discussed on WorldVents. Jeff made Walter, and Achmed, and Bubba J... If you don't have those skills, there are figure makers out there that can help you realize your dream.

This thread is filled with "makers" who can create custom works for you. Take time to visit their web sites and look at what they do. As Colin said above - if you like their work, then you will be happy with the figure they create for you.

Tom

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

kidshowvent
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of kidshowvent
Hi All...I have all my puppets made by Mary Ann Taylor, after I work with Alex Howell to design them. Alex is a pro artist (formerly with Disney) and between us we make up the artwork, then Mary Ann makes the puppets to match. When someone gets one of my brochures or flyers the artwork and the puppets match up. This gives me original, custom puppets and, hopefully, a leg up on my competition. I always try to have original puppets...although I am very partial to my friend Steve Axtell's turkey. I personally think it's in how you use your puppets that makes it original.

Good discussion!

Mark

markwade@kidshowvent.com
Carl Mustaine
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Carl Mustaine
Mark,

Was this how your duck character was created?

I have the beginner maher video and you use your duck and a Jack Coates figure. How did you come by the Coates figure?

It sounds a great idea to have a consultation with a graphic artist to create a new character. Do you give a history and background for the character to the artist?

Regards

Carl
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Custom Puppet, Who has one? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL