The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Ice McDonald (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aMftvGT0yU&feature=channel

Hello, peeps! I was wondering... Why exactly is Ice McDonald respected so much within the Dove industry? Watching the above act, some things seem a little amateur. Concepts are good... but I just feel the act looks a little rusty (just my opinion). Still, why is he so respected amongst the rest?
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
What are you judging him on?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
greatscott
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of greatscott
I would have to ask the same question that Bob asked.
I think his performance is good. What, in your opinion, would have made a better performance?
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
Hi Kyle, Smile

Actually, Ice used borrowed white doves for the above performance....his original act uses yellow doves as seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gS4hA1RJuI

Perhaps you mean the way he moves, his charisma, the flow, the steal...........

But I respect him 'cause, correct me I am wrong, he is the first to use a long tail suit, his black ditch table & his style of bird cage.....in fact, I always think Jason Byrne was inspired by Ice McDonald 'cause Ice started out much earlier, & Jason's dress, props & cage looks alike to Ice...this is why I respected Ice 'cause he is the first to start this trend. Smile

Ice also has a great idea of securing the wire/fishing loop with a device known as loop connect. I used several of this a few years back, and they can be purchased at http://www.dennymagic.com as well as his other dove products, e.g. his dove lecture notes, where he taught the double dove production without placing the knot in the mouth... He is a brilliant thinker. Smile
ARNOMAGIE
View Profile
Regular user
France
200 Posts

Profile of ARNOMAGIE
Weird act...
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5020 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Arnomagie, weird in what way?
Where the magic begins
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Ice is a character performer. When he does his dove act, he is totally in the character. Offstage, he is a much different performer.

While I could never perform in his style, I certainly appreciate it. His techniques are much more than average. He knows how to sell the act and the productions to the audience.

As for using borrowed birds, this is going to be the norm for traveling acts. It is so expensive and hard to fly with birds that few guys are going it.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22185 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2009-09-16 11:44, dove-boy wrote:
Hi Kyle, Smile
But I respect him 'cause, correct me I am wrong, he is the first to use a long tail suit, his black ditch table & his style of bird cage.....in fact, I always think Jason Byrne was inspired by Ice McDonald 'cause Ice started out much earlier, & Jason's dress, props & cage looks alike to Ice...this is why I respected Ice 'cause he is the first to start this trend. Smile

Boy, are you in the wrong century. Channing Pollack was the 1st famous magician to use the full formal tail with dove productions. Pollack was performing in the late 1950's to early 1960's when he quit and gave his suit to Hamilton, a cab driver in England.

I also thought that Byrne was influenced by Ice. Byrne's X-partner from his duo act was most likely an influence.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
Hi Wmhegbli, Smile

Think you mistaken. What I meant is Ice is the First to wear a Modern square & long tail (heard he got from an LA fashion tailor shop)...Not a regular traditional tail coat like Lance or Channing.

After seeing Ice with the long square tail (looks like Superman cloak), Jason Byrne is next with the similar outfit, & now is a trend with the modern magician.

Byrne's ex-partner from Double Vision is Greg Frewin. Even as a team, Byrne wear a regular tail & Greg stick to no tail...though the materials/routine now they performed....each took a bit from the old act, Double Vision, but Byrne outfit/table with the similar cage design/promo shot with the macaw perch on shoulder, in my view, was influenced by Ice. Smile
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Well, as mentioned, the act looks a little rusty. Even the productions and steals seem unnatural. And I feel the act doesn't have anything outstandingly unique about it. Besides the ice. I'm sayin' this based on just this one act. Character wise, I think it's a nice and interestin' character... how he blows to produce a dove... Still, I'm not wowed.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5020 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Kyle, Ice portrays a personality when performing. Personally, I prefer the more sophisticated act, like a Lance Burton. But if I look at what Ice is doing from the viewpoint of a spectator, I think some of the things are unique.

Most of us do some version of ribbons to dove or streamers to dove. As soon as we toss out the coil, I think the general audience knows there's going to be a dove production. Ice does a cut and restore rope effect and naturally gathers up the rope. I think that throws the audience off guard for an instant.

Ice is one of the few that does a dove split head on. Think about it. Most magician turn their body somewhat to get the second dove. Ice faces the audience and does the split.

I think, although overacted a bit, the dove from faucet pipe is unique. Because he has done a rope effect, and turned tissue paper into a drink, I don't think the audience is anticipating a dove production. Ice makes it look like the dove came out of that small tube.

I've seen Ice perform many times, and I think both of the videos referenced showed an act that was not up to par to his regular performances. He does telegraph his steals, and some are very obvious, which usually isn't the case when he performs.
Where the magic begins
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
I'll take it as just another bad night then... We all have those days, don't we...
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I think I see what you are talking about, Kyle. The get-ready for the steal took a long time at 1:40. I do not know if it was a mistake, or if he plans it to be so long before he does the dove split. I would like to see it done quicker. Early before he put the paper in the glass, he was tearing away pieces of it. It did not look good to me. Showing his name two times makes it look like he is advertising during his act. It was a few more other things, too. But who knows, maybe it was for a reason.
Probably he was asked to fill in to kill time because someone else was behind schedule, so the crowd would not get restless. Maybe his other props got lost from his airplane ride, so he has to put together his act a little different last minute. Maybe it was his practice act. I can not really say because I was not there.
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Mike, I kinda agree with you. It could have been a modified act. Come to think about it, I vaguely remember watching his act a long time ago... And I think it was much better.
TOTALLY MAGIC
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas,NV
436 Posts

Profile of TOTALLY MAGIC
Kyle!!!

I really think you need to stop thinking like a magician!!! Lay people eat his act up!!! It's not what other "magi" like, it's what the paying people want!!! And, sometimes magicians forget that!!

-k-
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Kyle to Kyle, the moment we stop thinking like magicians, we stop growing as magicians. The comments made have nothing to do with fooling the audience. Ice McDonald does perform good magic. I'm just asking those that may feel it concerns them, why he's respected so much. Also, it's based on that under-rehearsed looking act. Copperfield may make a silk vanish, and you could do the same... In fact, maybe both of you use Vernet thumb T**S. Still, it's the better performed one that wins... Say he flashed... and a little bit of silk sticks out from under his 'skin', you win the battle of the silks... Get the point?!
TOTALLY MAGIC
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas,NV
436 Posts

Profile of TOTALLY MAGIC
This is a little off subject, but you say, "The moment we stop thinking, we stop growing?" I couldn't disagree more! I think if more magicians stop thinking like magicians, it would be amazing?

For example:

How many competition acts have you seen where they try to produce the most stuff and produce the biggest object at the end? Why?

-k-
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
879 Posts

Profile of sperris
...actually, Jason's table and costume came from Brett Daniels, and that jacket was first worn by Michael Giles. Correct me if I'm wrong, but who really cares?

Posted: Sep 24, 2009 10:22pm
PS Ice is a nice guy, and I was the first to wear green socks.

Posted: Sep 24, 2009 10:24pm

PPS....

Kyle and Kyle...buy Rudy Coby's lecture notes, the Fitzgee Trilogy, and 5 Points in Magic...read them 5 times over, then read them 10 more times, and come back and let's talk...
DANSPERRY.COM
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
This is exactly why I will never post on YouTube.

I have never had a perfect show. There is always something that could be a little different or better.

The last thing I need is guys sitting at a computer tearing apart my act and experience and taking the best of what I do. NO THANKS.

I like to see some of these guys posting do the kind of shows and venues that Ice has done.

Can you say "unprofessional"?

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Alexo
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, NY
112 Posts

Profile of Alexo
Sometimes the most technically creative people are not the best performers, look at Steinmeyer. He's the most brilliant inventor of illusions in the world, but he is not a performer in any sense. Ice has developed a lot of technically creative ideas and, while I'm a little weirded out by his stance and way he's walking in the MOI clip, he's still a good performer. Perhaps, we're being too critical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Ice McDonald (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL