The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Ice McDonald (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22248 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2009-09-26 00:08, Alexo wrote:
Sometimes the most technically creative people are not the best performers, look at Steinmeyer. He's the most brilliant inventor of illusions in the world, but he is not a performer in any sense. Perhaps, we're being too critical.

Have you seen Jim Steinmeyer perform?

I attended his lecture at Abbott's Get-Together, and his presentation of his material was very entertaining. He also fooled everyone to the extent that he sold all of his lecture notes on his creations. He is a very good performer.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Alexo
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, NY
112 Posts

Profile of Alexo
My mistake. The only footage I've seen of him performing was a light bulb cabinet. Maybe that wasn't his best night.
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
Hi Kyle Smile

Ice Mcdonald will be in Singapore for the Singapore International Magic Festival this coming Dec for 2 weeks...we catch up with him together ok Smile
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Cool Man! If this is the same event, I'd be performing there as well!
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Hey Dove-boy and Kyle - if you get the chance to see ICE in person, you will totally understand everything. *smile* You will understand his stage presence, and you will understand that what you see on stage is not the ICE you will personally meet. You will understand why he moves the way he does, and you will understand who he is and what he is presenting. There is more to it than meets the eye, trust me. You will also understand how a towering 6 foot + guy uses everything he has to present his objective...... If you get a chance to meet and talk with him, you will be surprised at what you learn and find out. That's all I will say, so I don't ruin your surprise. *smile*
His movements on stage, as mentioned, are there for a reason, but you have to see it in person to understand it. He eats up every inch of the performance area that he is given, and why not? I think also what some do not understand is that ICE is part of a different generation of magicians. Most posting on this thread, except for Dave and Bob (in a good way, fellas!! *haha*), are a different generation than ICE. He is matured enough to be your father. Just think about his presence, then at your age now...getting the picture......

-Alpha
AnthonytheMagic
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of AnthonytheMagic
People love to just type stuff out of their... you know where... I have Ice's lecture video. I thought it was great, and his performance was also great...
Anthony
JimmyH
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of JimmyH
Ice is a great guy, as well as a performer. Why must he be criticized for his act? It plays well with a lay audience, and that's all that really matters, isn't it?
I agree with Sperris's comment: "Who really cares?" Why is this even a discussion in the Café? Honestly, if you look at someone's act and are going to rip on it, do so to the performer and not on a forum. If you have any ideas for the act, jot them down and talk to Ice about them. Any Pro (like Ice) will at least listen to new and fresh ideas. If anything, this is a positive way to further the art that we all love so much. Just my 2 cents.

Jimmy
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Jimmy,
Your points are very intelligent and well taken. I wish more would take your approach and attitude.

Don't knock the guys that are working.

Richard

BTW: Ice does a heck of an act. Not my style, but it a great act that works.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Quote:
On 2009-09-16 21:46, hugmagic wrote:
Ice is a character performer. When he does his dove act, he is totally in the character. Offstage, he is a much different performer.

TRUE! Even I think he have a style, a unique kind of presentation, plus some original ideas, and that's why he is respected in the arena... Also, he is a very nice guy, too!
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
CMMAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
Myrtle Beach , S.C.
145 Posts

Profile of CMMAGIC
Great point, Jimmy. More magicians ( but 90 percent are really just hobbyist that THINK they're magicians ) need to keep their comments about other acts to themselves. Ice is a great performer, and LAY AUDIENCES love him, and that's REALLY all that matters. I am a completely unknown magician to other magicians, but I do this full time and make 100% of my income off of lay people, as do most working pros. We, as a society of magicians, need to realize a style, character, or technique is different with each performer, because each person brings a different edginess or style with the way he/or she presents it. I love ideas and comments from other working pros, but it's the 10 - 15 yr old YouTubers that crack me up when they try and critique my act. NOW, that's starting to get old! lol
- Carl Michael - www.CarlMichaelMagic.com
Frequent performer at top night clubs such as Mansion Miami , PURE Las Vegas , Marquee Vegas , and Veranda NYC . 2012 and 2013 Reader's Choice Magician of the Year. Currently headlining in my own stage show in Myrtle Beach . Follow on twitter , Instagram and ViNe @CMMAGIC
RodHousley
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of RodHousley
His is respected because he has traveled the world and performed for thousands of audiences and is loved by fans in, I am sure, the tens of thousands. Not to mention, he is a great guy and, over the years, has helps many other magicians to improve and, in the process, has pushed magic into a better place. He handles his business like a professional and treats his clients like a real magician should. I know that when people see him perform, they think they are lucky to have seen such a great living magician. You just can't teach that kind of reaction; you earn it from putting in the work, year after year...
Andrew H.
View Profile
Regular user
Elizabethton,TN
124 Posts

Profile of Andrew H.
Quote:
On 2009-09-24 22:20, sperris wrote:
...actually, Jason's table and costume came from Brett Daniels, and that jacket was first worn by Michael Giles. Correct me if I'm wrong, but who really cares?

Posted: Sep 24, 2009 10:22pm
PS Ice is a nice guy, and I was the first to wear green socks.

Posted: Sep 24, 2009 10:24pm

PPS....

Kyle and Kyle...buy Rudy Coby's lecture notes, the Fitzgee Trilogy, and 5 Points in Magic...read them 5 times over, then read them 10 more times, and come back and let's talk...

What's the deal with you guys? Dan's right, who cares? You guys are talking trash just to hear yourselves! Next time you decide to judge an act, find out all you can and maybe even talk to the person. Then, you can make an educated call...
Mr.Dennis
View Profile
New user
Louisville Kentucky
81 Posts

Profile of Mr.Dennis
I heard that Ice has a fantastic lecture. Hope to catch it soon.
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
949 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Ice will be at The Winter Carnival of Magic, which starts 3/4. Looking forward to seeing his performance live and talking to him.
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Ice McDonald (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL