The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Juggler for Hire! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Hey Guys,

My name is Charles Watson, and I am a juggler, magician and balloon twister. I did a great deal of street work this summer after finishing up my tour with the circus. I need some work to get my foot in the door.

here is a short demo of street performances. If nothing else just view the video and let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/user/magicofcharl......jS7x-Tpk

Sincerely,
Charles Watson

Should you feel that I would be valuable asset to an event send an email to

chazmagic1@aim.com

(304) 482-7260
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24096 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Charles, you stay in West Virginia or Ohio?

How did you get the YouTube to look like that? Is it a personal page you page for?

You did the juggling real good. But I recommend not using that clipping because it was not holding everyone's attention. Try it again where is shows more of an excited audience.
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
West Virginia and Ohio...the clip is all I have.... they were entertained pretty well I guess it just didn't show up on video that way.
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
It's kinda hard to hold everyone's attention while they are passing through!
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Hi,

The juggling you show is very nice. Its a shame you only show 3 ball stuff though.

If you don't have regular gigs you don't have a regular audience, which will make it tough for you to film yourself in front of an audience. So why not create a montage of you doing stuff.

Be creative.

Make sure you set up shots so the person watching can see your juggling.

If they like it then they'll put you in front of an audience.

I agree with Mike, don't use this footage for promo.

You could offer a free show and film that.

In a nut shell.

Juggling = Good

Video = Not so good.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24096 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
One good spot is a kid's class room. Another one is at a birthday party.

If you go to a busy section at a park, record yourself. You can use a tripod to hold the camcorder. Or you can ask a volunteer to hold it for you. Do not do it one time. Do it multiple times the same day and take it home to see what clipping looks the best.

Another idea is to get a controlled audience. You do juggle good, so a controlled audience will not hurt anything. Have your friends and family watch you with smiles on their faces. When you are finished they are supposed to clap.
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
I am going to be marketing myself as a strolling juggler...therefore I don't think it would be good to film my juggling in a classroom. Any ideas on how to improve the video?
modfrog
View Profile
New user
winchester
73 Posts

Profile of modfrog
In west virginia anywhere near the virginia line I live in V.a. and I can keep my eyes and ears open for gigs. plus my local juggling/magic shop might hear about something
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Laugh tracks...worked for Friends lol (insert laugh track now)
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Ok real suggestion....get the camera person to focus on the audience and less of you...zoom out, not it.

As a talent buyer, I could care less if you can even juggle. I want to see the audience entertained, period. Show people smiling, clapping and cheering. That's what you are selling, not your skills as a magician or juggler
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2009-09-17 19:17, modfrog wrote:
In west virginia anywhere near the virginia line I live in V.a. and I can keep my eyes and ears open for gigs. plus my local juggling/magic shop might hear about something

That would be great! Where is your magic/juggling shop located in VA? I live about 3 hours from the border, but it would be well worth a trip to say hello!

Charles
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2009-09-17 19:20, Bill Nuvo wrote:
Ok real suggestion....get the camera person to focus on the audience and less of you...zoom out, not it.

As a talent buyer, I could care less if you can even juggle. I want to see the audience entertained, period. Show people smiling, clapping and cheering. That's what you are selling, not your skills as a magician or juggler

If you look there is a moment that it shows a few smiles and you can hear some laugther, but I deffinately understand what you are saying. It needs not only be heard but seen through the camera.

Charles
modfrog
View Profile
New user
winchester
73 Posts

Profile of modfrog
Winchester
modfrog
View Profile
New user
winchester
73 Posts

Profile of modfrog
http://ifozone.com/
their web site
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I have to be honest I don't really understand the concept of strolling juggler. Strolling magician, yes, lots of close up stuff. Coins, cards etc...

But after 3 balls what have you got?

I could see it working if you had a character and the juggling was just something that character did. My friend and her partner work one of the castles here (we have loads of those just dotted about the uk. Sometimes I just long for a bugalow).

Anyway, they do strolling characters and in one of them they push a sub trunk around!

The trunk is full of props, but if the time's right they perform it close up. But it's the characters that get them the gigs, not what those characters do.

Your look is very traditional, nothing wrong with that, but maybe you need to think about a stronger character if you're gonna do strolling.

One of mine is Randolf Walker the Jungle Explorer. I juggle with him. But also use an axtel bird arm too.

Another friend does a Victorian policeman.

Might be a path to consider.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2009-09-18 14:50, Roslyn wrote:
I have to be honest I don't really understand the concept of strolling juggler. Strolling magician, yes, lots of close up stuff. Coins, cards etc...

But after 3 balls what have you got?

I could see it working if you had a character and the juggling was just something that character did. My friend and her partner work one of the castles here (we have loads of those just dotted about the uk. Sometimes I just long for a bugalow).

Anyway, they do strolling characters and in one of them they push a sub trunk around!

The trunk is full of props, but if the time's right they perform it close up. But it's the characters that get them the gigs, not what those characters do.

Your look is very traditional, nothing wrong with that, but maybe you need to think about a stronger character if you're gonna do strolling.

One of mine is Randolf Walker the Jungle Explorer. I juggle with him. But also use an axtel bird arm too.

Another friend does a Victorian policeman.

Might be a path to consider.

I was strolling around with my balloon apron and juggling balls. I would juggle to gather a crowd, and then finish with making balloons for the kids. I also had a select location where I would perform around the corner (they hired me to get traffice to the other street corner so that the businesses would get leads) My purpose is to entertain.(As long as I look clean and neat...look like an entertainer I don't see a problem there)not be some over the top character with elaborate costuming etc. Its about the fun and enjoyment they will get out of witnessing something different at the event..something unexpected....the benefits are clear...drive traffic to an otherwise less populated area. I have made balloons at certian fair booths and they see a ton of traffice generating into leads.
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
I don't know, but if I learned all of these skills and then can't put them to use b/c I don't have a clear "character" and there are no benefits to the client in hiring a strolling juggler....what the Hell do I practice this **** for?

Oh well...acceptable to a real job I suppose..thanks for the encouragement.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Please don't take what I've said as critisism. I just thought I'd point out some stuff that had worked for other people and thought it might help you.

Based simply on the video you posted you can't really tell what you're doing.

You need to take what you've told us in your last post and put that in video. If your clients are businesses then you need to show them that you will attract more leads to them. Obviously from what you've said you know how to do that already. Thing is in the video you just can't see that happening.

Good luck Smile
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Juggler for Hire! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL