The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Tom Mullica and the Pinky Count (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2378 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
I was reminiscencing about the days of watching Tom at the "Tom Foolery" in Atlanta. While Tom wasn't the greatest finger flicker around, everything he did, simple to hard was flawless. One such thing of beauty was when Tom would have someone pick a card, noted, and returned to the deck to be lost. He would ask a person to give him a number and he would spin a card in the air only to catch it in the deck at the exact number called for. Needless to say, their card was at the called number. This is a great trick and wondering if anyone beside's myself was performing it? Tom was just soooooo good at this. If you have any stories or special tricks you liked, would be interested in hearing them.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
How do you catch at card at the inner (pinky) end of the pack?
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2378 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
The pinky is used to count the number called, you then just catch the card at the break.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Trois
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach
594 Posts

Profile of Trois
I too watched Tom do that effect many times. So I had to add it to my act. I'm sure I was never as good as Tom, but people did react to it in a big way. It had a flashy-ness to it, I guess with the tossing and catching that amazed them. Fun to do, haven't done it in years but will now probably work on it tomorrow. What a great show he had. I owe him alot. cheers, Trois
Not clever enough to come up with something orginal, or did I.
Denis Behr
View Profile
Special user
Germany
678 Posts

Profile of Denis Behr
Tom Mullica used the Thumb Count in several effects (see Kaufman's book about his magic or here) and I suspect that he also used it here, not the Pinky Count.
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
654 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
Quote:
On 2009-09-17 05:17, Denis Behr wrote:
Tom Mullica used the Thumb Count in several effects (see Kaufman's book about his magic or here) and I suspect that he also used it here, not the Pinky Count.

Correct. If I recall correctly, what was particularly clever about it is that he took advantage of his venue -- a bar -- and simply dropped his hand to his side to do the count. Without the bar, of course, this would have been completely visible.
“For centuries we’ve said playing cards – even a single playing card – could reveal a person’s innermost thoughts.
Now you can prove it!”
See http://www.dixonmagic.com/page5/page5.html
Trois
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach
594 Posts

Profile of Trois
Yes , he thumb counted, lower than the bar top. I got to thinking about the pinkie count and remembered that he did it with the thumb. Guess he is still in Branson doing "RED". Trois
Not clever enough to come up with something orginal, or did I.
Loopback
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincoln, Nebraska
356 Posts

Profile of Loopback
Would you limit the range on numbers they could call(i.e. 1-12) or were the specs allowed to pick any position in the deck. Thumb or pinky counting off 42 cards would be a chore
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
Trois:

Tom is still in Branson doing Red. I saw him perform late last year and talked to him at Magic Live last month.
Mentalism for the Metroplex
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2378 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On 2009-09-17 11:18, Loopback wrote:
Would you limit the range on numbers they could call(i.e. 1-12) or were the specs allowed to pick any position in the deck. Thumb or pinky counting off 42 cards would be a chore

It was usually under 25 but have seen him use any number. Also as Doc mentioned, I believe Tom did use his thumb but I use my pinky. Actually counting the cards is very fast. That's the whole point, as soon as the number is named, the card is thrown in the air and caught at that number. I remember working hard on this.
Denis Behr
View Profile
Special user
Germany
678 Posts

Profile of Denis Behr
The key to being fast for large numbers is to count some cards in advance. E.g. count 15 cards, then ask for the number. If it is bigger than 15, you are 15 cards ahead. If it's smaller, drop the break and start from 1.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
The learning curve on this sounds brutal but I'd imagine the reactions to this effect done well would be over the top!
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2378 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Everything Tom did, he did well. His cigarette trick was/is a classic. He is a great example of what we as magicians ought to be. As I mentioned, by his own admission, he was not a great technician. Doesn't matter. Its all about timing, finesse, execution. These were only a couple of his miracles. I miss Tom for he was MAGIC!!

Steve
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Quote:
On 2009-09-17 12:07, Steven Conner wrote:

It was usually under 25 but have seen him use any number. Also as Doc mentioned, I believe Tom did use his thumb but I use my pinky.[/quote]

Yeah, I was pretty sure Mullica used his thumb count, just as he did for the spelling part of his multiple selection routine.

I'm still not seeing how you can do this with a break held at the inner end of the pack. My arm just doesn't turn that direction...

To catch a card that falling, in the deck as the inner end would require some serious twisting. Outer end, where the thumb count opens the pack... no problem.
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
I have his video, and for some reason he did not go deep in to this particular part of the routine(his routine is very long with several effects in it).
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
e-man
View Profile
Special user
HILTON HEAD,SC
809 Posts

Profile of e-man
Tom is a WONDERFUL entertainer.
I miss him.
我被烹调
ERIC HELVENSTON
SlipperyPete
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of SlipperyPete
If you do the counting behind the bar, or under a table you can just reverse the pack and count from there if they give you a big number. Say, 42, you could just turn the pack over and count to 10
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Tom Mullica and the Pinky Count (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL