The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Neil Lester of Cards by Martin has passed on. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
The magic community has suffered a great loss...my deepest condolences go to the immediate family. May you rest in peace Neil...

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I can't tell you how many times I went to the Castle on a Friday afternoon and woke him up from a cat-nap in his car, so he could come in for the evening session. Fridays was his day. He had lunch, took a nap, then stayed and stayed.

I was the person who made all his Lightning Coin Vanishers and always found that he was interested in weather I was making money as well as he was, decent kind of a guy.

He had some stock market investment tips too. If I had only listened to a few of them. One day he said "Pet pharmaceuticals... invest" I didn't, a few months later a few of those doubled.

He was also into NLP, in which he made a good argument you could change the way a person operated, by incorporating it.

I will miss our conversations. Just cleaned out a drawer of cards and sent him about 80 decks within the last 5 months. I figured that if I wasn't going to use them, he should.

He was selling off his collection for the last year and a half, some of which he rented to a few TV shows. Could be wrong but there was a Twilight Zone episode where one minute the magic shop was there, then it disappeared and I might be wrong but I believe that Neil rented them the props for that episode. If not that it was a Mannix or something about that time frame.

He gave me his secret formula for roughing and smoothing cards and told me to keep it a secret, I will.

I will miss him, good guy.
Ximines
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
154 Posts

Profile of Ximines
Neil was always helpful to me - and always fair. A true class act. I will miss him.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2481 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Oh, man...very sad...a couple of years ago, I ordered some decks from Neil...I was so impressed by his craftsmanship and selection (and a little dismayed by his website) that I offered him a redo of his entire site, cardsbymartin.com

I never got the chance to meet him personally, but I'll always remember his love of a good political argument. We did not always agree, for sure, but I'll always remember his unique personality, clever inventiveness, and his superior card gaffs.

As a fellow magician, he was always helpful and forthcoming with tips and advice regarding all aspects of magic. Beneath that occasionally gruff exterior was a truly kind and generous man.

He really was one-of-a-kind!
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2231 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Curtis,
My condolences to you, your family and Neils many friends during this most difficult time.
Just curious if you learned the card making art from your father and plan to carry on the business.
God Bless
Mike King aka shomemagic
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
Bursky
View Profile
New user
West Hollywood, Ca.
78 Posts

Profile of Bursky
Neil made a lot of stuff for me. His was the best. He was a great guy.
magichunter
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of magichunter
I was a new customer of Neil's in the last few months. I had only just begun to get to know him though email. In addition to his great products, he gave some very good personal advice through some of his teachings/publications outside of magic.
Son of Cards By
View Profile
New user
Lancaster, CA
9 Posts

Profile of Son of Cards By
Quote:
On 2009-09-22 19:27, shomemagic wrote:
Curtis,
My condolences to you, your family and Neils many friends during this most difficult time.
Just curious if you learned the card making art from your father and plan to carry on the business.
God Bless
Mike King aka shomemagic

Sad to say, I never did get involved with the card business. I must confess that now, in hindsight, I wish I had.
Curtis Martin
Son of "Cards By Martin"
nowucit
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of nowucit
This comes as a shock to me. I was just going to order something from him and give him a call when I saw the message on his web site. It has been a few years since I have seen him and now I regret I didn't take the time to call him just to say hello.
I always considered Neil to be one of my best friends. Many times I spent Firday nights at the Magic Castle with him. I learned a great deal from him not only in magic but about life in general. Neil was one of a kind and I seriously doubt the magic world will ever see anyone to match his skills with card gaffs. He will truly be missed. My condolences to his family and Neils many many friends. I know many will pause a moment with me in his memory.
Thank you for the friendship Neil,
One of your many friends,
Richard
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Profile of Silvio Solaris
Thank you for all your wonderful help, advise and superb craftmanship.

I will miss you.

Silvio
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

'Is all that we see and seem but a dream within a dream?' E.A.Poe
e-man
View Profile
Special user
HILTON HEAD,SC
880 Posts

Profile of e-man
This is truly sad I just went to his site to order some cards not knowing he passed,then I came here .I started dealing with Neil about 5 years ago he has made me a wealth of quality cards.The best out there for gaffs (IMO) He was always cheerful and funny,and would send me hilarious emails from time to time.Rest in peace and God bless you my friend,I will miss you.
Your friend Eric
我被烹调
ERIC HELVENSTON
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
His workmanship was great. May you rest in peace.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Neil Lester of Cards by Martin has passed on. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL