The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Emperor Norton (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Today marks the 150th anniversary of the Ascension to the Throne of Emperor Norton I, "Emperor of these United States and Protector of Mexico"

Quote:
"He shed no blood, robbed no one, and despoiled no country, which is more than can be said for most fellows in the King line."

story here
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Slartibartfast
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Illinois
230 Posts

Profile of Slartibartfast
I saw this on a mailing list at work. I was curious, so I looked him up on the 1870 census, and sure enough there he was with occupation "Emporer".

Check out the 1870 Census page 81, line 24.
If you can pull it off in a biker bar without being violated by a corn dog, more power to you.
-- Gwyd, the Unusual

"YOUR Signature...speaks volumns (sic) as to your lack of understanding."
--T.V.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I guess they are not quite the same thing, but this story reminded me that there is a neat little book out about independent micro-nations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_micronations

http://www.amconmag.com/article/2007/nov/19/00033/
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Yup, people don't realize how popular Emperor Norton was, he is still, as Sir Gaddy can attest, a very much known name in the city. I like that census, one fellow was shown to be an occultist!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Same guy as described in the Sandman comic?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Sounds like a fascinating character. And for someone who lived in the middle of the 19th century, he had a dog with an amazingly modern-sounding name: Bummer.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Two dogs (well, they say) Bummer and Lazarus, the apocryphal tale is that he had three seats reserved at every opera performance, one for himself and one each for the dogs (not quite true, but fun). Mark Twain knew the Emp and used him in his books too.

Our beloved Emperor Joshua Norton has had a part of my shows for the past six years or so,
and was a featured character in our “Eccentrics of San Francisco’s Barbary Coast” show this Summer.

He was a wonderful character, and both the true and not-so-true stories of his life and reign as Emperor are fascinating and entertaining. I do hope when they complete the new Bay Bridge they will give it its rightful name, as Norton had the idea before anyone else.

I’ve done tons of research on Joshua Norton, and think someday of doing a whole show of magic around his part in San Francisco history. Between Norton and Mary Ellen Pleasant (my séance historical character) there could be a lifetime of magical work to be done!

Magically,
Walt
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I've been thinking of an Emp Norton SF Pub Crawl for a couple of years now, understanding more about the nature of walking tours, and what makes them successful, after doing Jim Fassbinder's SF Ghost Hunt one Halloween (overflow tours), but the logistics have so far eluded me...

Also, simply put, I'm not up to Norton's... um, stature?

After all one must look the part, and I'm not willing to gain 50 pounds+ or so for it.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Interesting stuff...thanks for putting this up, Gaddy.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
Quote:
On 2009-09-17 21:24, Slartibartfast wrote:
I saw this on a mailing list at work. I was curious, so I looked him up on the 1870 census, and sure enough there he was with occupation "Emporer".

Check out the 1870 Census page 81, line 24.

And the only person on those pages with an x in the "vote denied" column. Spoilsports. If only Norton had had a tower, an army and got prickly about lèse majesté. He would have shown them.
Escapemaster-in-chief from all sorts of houdingplaces - Finnegans Wake
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Speaking of dog names I think they may have been pretty standard for years. I've read historical references from a couple centuries ago of dogs name Brownie and Molly, Brownie is a pretty durn doggish name.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Emperor Norton (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL