The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What's Next (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
BCaldwell
View Profile
Special user
is really regretting his
524 Posts

Profile of BCaldwell
Quote:
On 2009-09-18 15:04, Ben Train wrote:
Zach,

if Lance CAN meet up with you, you're in for a treat. He's one of the nicest, most talented, and sexiest men I've ever met.

Ben

Wow Ben, your standards must be really low.....Smile

See you tonight at the lecture, Lance. (Unless you see me first!)
"...that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller Smile

~Bob~
DonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Champaign, IL
258 Posts

Profile of DonEngland
I could tell you that art plays a large part in making our lives infinitely rich. Imagine, just for a minute, a world without art! (You may think "So what?", but please consider the impact that lack of graphics would have on your favorite video game.) Art stimulates different parts of our brains to make us laugh or incite us to riot, with a whole gamut of emotions in between. Art gives us a way to be creative and express ourselves. For some people, art is the entire reason they get out of bed in the morning. You could say "Art is something that makes us more thoughtful and well-rounded humans."

On the other hand, art is such a large part of our everyday lives, we hardly even stop to think about it. Look at the desk or table where you are, right this minute. Someone designed that. It is art. Your shoes are art. Your coffee cup is art. All functional design, well done, is art. So, you could say "Art is something that is both functional and (hopefully) aesthetically pleasing to our eyes."

You might say "Art is in a constant state of change, so nobody can really pin down what it is." The constant change part is true, but the not pinning it down part is going to get you a bad grade. It may even raise a comment or two about your being some sort of wisenheimer. Don't go this route.

You might even say "Art is subjective, and means something different to every single person on earth." This, too, is the truth. I would caution against this approach, however, as it would require a stack of paper from here to the moon to cite all of your 6.3 billion references.

Now, everything just stated has elements of truth, but is largely based on opinion. My opinion is, frankly, useless in your paper-writing endeavor. Form your own opinions (that should be the reason you are receiving an education, after all), and be sure to sprinkle them in your answer...which needs a factual basis, so here are the cold hard facts:

Art is form and content.

"Art is form and content" means: All art consists of these two things.

Form means (1) the elements of art, (2) the principles of design and (3) the actual, physical materials that the artist has used. Form, in this context, is concrete and fairly easily described - no matter which piece of art is under scrutiny.

Suppose you've written: "One half of all art is form. Here is how Goya's The Shootings of May Third, 1808 fits in." You would then go on to provide details about how Goya used color, value, space and line (elements of art). He used balance, contrast, emphasis and proportion (principles of design). He composed the aforementioned elements and principles on canvas, using brushes and oil paints (the physical part of "form").

The example just given employed a work of Western art, and was written in English. It doesn't take much of a leap in imagination, though, to understand that the concepts behind "form" could be applied to any piece of art, created anywhere on earth, at any time, using any language. With that, we have successfully covered "form".

Content, now, gets a little more tricky. "Content" is idea-based and means (1) what the artist meant to portray, (2) what the artist actually did portray and (3) how we react, as individuals, to both the intended and actual messages.

Additionally, "content" includes ways in which a work was influenced - by religion, or politics, or society in general, or even the artist's use of hallucinogenic substances - at the time it was created. All of these factors, together, make up the "content" side of art.

Returning to the Goya example, you might comment on the fact that the shootings were an actual event. Napoleon had invaded Spain, at the time, and subjected it to six years of war and revolution (political and social influences). There had been a revolt by citizens of Madrid, and they were summarily executed (historical context). Goya, obviously, didn't think this was good and recorded the stark horror for all posterity. (He was successful at conveying that which he meant to convey.) We react to the painting in our different ways - usually with mixed feeling of revulsion, anger and sorrow.

Again, we are discussing "content" using one picture as an example, but the same parameters apply to any piece of art.

That's my best reply, then. The first four paragraphs are applicable - with infinite variations, up to, and including, "The way my girlfriend puts on her eyeshadow is art." Just be sure that your main argument includes "Art is form and content". You can certainly think of some great examples using works of art that you know and/or enjoy. Shelley Esaak
Sword of the Soldier
View Profile
Elite user
438 Posts

Profile of Sword of the Soldier
Mickey,

I've been playing Violin for 15 years....you are correct. There are seven notes in in a a scale plus the octave replication. Sharps and Flats are are notes as well, which means they can be included making your argument just as right. As an example a one octave D Major Scale: D E F# G A B C# (D). 7 notes with sharps and flats. If we are speaking of total notes available in one octave we are talking about something completely different. But I digress.

As for Art. My definition is this, Art is that which brings joy when it is done and when it is witnessed. Magic brings me joy when I do it, and if I have done it well hopefully it brings joy to those who see it. Just as Music, and painting, etc. Art is expression. Magic is art, and personally we could argue this to the depths of time and not one argument to the contrary will change my mind. No less many other peoples minds as well.

Josh Smile
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1629 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Quote:
On 2009-09-18 02:15, MickeyPainless wrote:
There hasn't been any decent music written since the early 70's! Smile


Whatever...someone's not a Lady Gaga fan... Smile

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Thanks Josh!

I've been playing guitar on and off for over 40 years, other instruments here and there through that time period. Both my son's and my wife are musicians and the youngest is a music major now working toward his Masters in composition!
BCaldwell
View Profile
Special user
is really regretting his
524 Posts

Profile of BCaldwell
Quote:
On 2009-09-21 16:27, Dorian Rhodell wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-09-18 02:15, MickeyPainless wrote:
There hasn't been any decent music written since the early 70's! Smile


Whatever...someone's not a Lady Gaga fan... Smile

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
Not for her music, anyway!
"...that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller Smile

~Bob~
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Quote:
On 2009-09-21 16:27, Dorian Rhodell wrote:
Whatever...someone's not a Lady Gaga fan... Smile


Is she one of those female impersonators from up in your area? Smile

MMc
Sword of the Soldier
View Profile
Elite user
438 Posts

Profile of Sword of the Soldier
Hahahahaha! I love Lady Gaga!

I needed that laugh.

Thanks Fellas,

Josh
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
I live inside your computer.
1243 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
Quote:
On 2009-09-17 23:20, Zacharias wrote:
Unlike music, having truly infinite permutations, our art is limited to a far more specific set of parameters.


Well, I can't say for sure where magic is going, but WOW do I disagree here. Music has a much more finite set of parameters, 12 notes... that's it, just 12 (at least in most Western scales). The way they are placed rhythmically is what allows for the seemingly endless possibilities. Same with magic. Even if the concepts are limited (and there are much more than just 12), there will always be endless ways of putting them together.

New notes in music will never be discovered, but this limitation has never held any musicians back creatively. Magic, however, has an unlimited amount of "notes." Maybe this is why it's so hard to be truly creative and original in the craft. The total lack of limitations is surly quite daunting to the creative mind.

Art is creative expression based upon a set of rules and limitations. Some of the greatest art maximizes these rules and limitations. Other great art gives a nod and smile to those limitations and then sidesteps them completely.
Jeff Travilla - Author of "The Extractor." I work in advertising and marketing now. If you are a professional worker and need marketing help, feel free to contact my company. JCM Media Group.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Edit
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What's Next (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL