The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Out Of This Universe with a prediction? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

weapon
View Profile
Inner circle
I am Emran. I have,
1329 Posts

Profile of weapon
What's up guys?,
I have been working on Harry's wonderful "Out Of This Universe" this week, I must have performed it at least 4 times to various friends. Then I thought about trying something a little different with it.

What I did was I gave a the spectator a business card with a prediction on it in advance and told him to place it in his shirt pocket and we will get back to it a little later. I began to preform OOTU when we reach the climax, I showed how the left packet is all reds and the right packet is all blacks. They was amazed.
Then I waited for them to mention the middle packet. When I do I say go ahead spread them. As they do I get a look on my face like, ummm hmmm ooops. It looks like something went wrong, cause everything is mixed)... then I ask them to take out the prediction and the prediction says after all the shuffles the last packet will contain 9 red cards and 10 black..., then they count them... and their reaction was awesome!

What are your thought on this approach?

Maybe Harry will chime in!

Thanks,
em
Eternity by Emran Riaz (Gimmicks + Download) An IMPOSSIBLE prediction of ANY number, ANY word, literally ENGRAVED in a medallion they've been holding THE ENTIRE TIME.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/12181
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Other than adding an effect, how does that affect the underlying theme of the routine?

How are you presenting OOTU?

If you are presenting it that the spectator is using their intuition to divine the nature of the cards color, then it wouldn't make very much sense to tack on "also I knew beforehand exactly how you were going to shuffle because I can see the future"

What might make more sense(and since I don't perform OOTU I don't know if this can work), but announce something vague at the beginning like saying "Remember: Nine and Ten, Nine and Ten...", then when it turns out the spectator shuffled it 9 and 10, they will perceive that the spectator subconsciously fulfilled the prediction, just as they separated the colors.

Without knowing your performance details it would be a little difficult to know how it plays

-daegs
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I tried something where I did OOTU after a spectator selected a card and the only card out of order was the selcted card.
After I weighed up the responses from normal OOTU and the one I did, I dropped my version. I thought it was great but it added nothing to the premise of routine. It seems to create the idea that you are in control while with OOTU in its original form you aren't and that is pure magic.
If it works for you then great and keep doing it. I worked my routine in combination with OOTU for 3 years before I started taking stock of my approach and which effects were often requested and I made a huge calculation error by doing my version.
This is just my opinion and I am by no means a card great.
weapon
View Profile
Inner circle
I am Emran. I have,
1329 Posts

Profile of weapon
Daegs interesting thoughts!
for now I present it as a subconscious influencing effect..
I'm still toying with the presentations.. I really like harry loraynes original presentationn though..
Eternity by Emran Riaz (Gimmicks + Download) An IMPOSSIBLE prediction of ANY number, ANY word, literally ENGRAVED in a medallion they've been holding THE ENTIRE TIME.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4632 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
I believe that several people, including J.C. Wagner, have done this before. In J.C.'s routine you show all the red cards are together and then show all the black ones... except there is a mistake- one red card, the 10 of hearts, is in the red pile.

You then have them turn over a prediction and it says "you will make one mistake- the 10 of hearts"

Then I would punch them in the head. With any luck what they will remember is that your trick was so good they passed out!

Ben
If you're reading this you're my favorite magician.
magicwanabe
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of magicwanabe
Weapon -- First off, I am very impressed with other effects you have posted on this forum (even though you will not share with us guys under 50 posts -- only kidding!!), and I am only a newbie..BUT, in my humble opinion and at least having performed OOTU, I must say that Harry's effect is spectacular as it stands (particularly the way he suggests setting it up), and this time around, I don't think your addition really adds that much to the routine. I also have worked up changes to an existing routine using business cards, so I certainly appreciate that idea -- I know how effective it can be (especially from a business sense). With OOTU, the whole thing is how incredibly mixed up the cards are, and THAT is what seems to impress the spectators, especially when they had input to mixing up the cards. The prediction thing at the end might weaken the effect. Again, just my opinion, and ultimately it's what works for you...hope this post does not offend.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8331 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I have to agree with magicwanabe, and others above. Up to the individual, of course, but I would not add anything to my original routine. Over the years, I tried them ALL, really - and whatever is added usually detracts. But, you know, to each his own, right? Best - HARRY L.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1769 Posts

Profile of SIX
Ben, yes the punch in the head does work, thanks for sharing!!! lmaoo

Emran, um I mean Weapon lol I like the idea of the prediction. It does fit well with the routine on influence, and that you have proof you influenced them to deal the colors by showing you had a prediction and influenced the cards in the middle.

I might try it out Smile Call me when you can you 6am warrior haha.

SIX
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
Quote:
On 2009-09-18 15:28, Harry Lorayne wrote:
I have to agree with magicwanabe, and others above. Up to the individual, of course, but I would not add anything to my original routine. Over the years, I tried them ALL, really - and whatever is added usually detracts. But, you know, to each his own, right? Best - HARRY L.

Agreed Harry, The only thing that I have added is Dick Cavett's wonderful convincer which was published in Apocalypse. It does nothing to take away from the spirit of the original. Just adds a little extra "selling point." IMHO

Justin
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8331 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Absolutely, Justin. That "piece" is fine, a convincer - it doesn't "add an effect" to the routine. Best - HL.

The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
2977 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Just my two cents...

I think adding a prediction is a perversion of the effect. It's like saying "Oh, look at this amazingly cool thing you just did, but wait, because I'm going to top that with a cool thing that you didn't know I would do! Now, clap for me, you clap-machines!"

OOTW is one of those great routines that gives the spectator participant full credit for the effect that just happened. Why take it away from them? Especially considering that there are such better ways of doing a proper prediction effect.

(Caveat Emptor: My opinion is based upon the way I saw Ammar do a similar well-known approach on the ETMCM videos. Somebody probably found a better way to present it -- or, just as likely, I'm full of bullsugar.)
A screed for scams, sorcery, and other shenanigans... Nu Way Magick Blogge

JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8331 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Andrew: I think we're speaking of two different things here. In the original Out of this World, the spectator doesn't do any shuffling. In my Out of this Universe, that's the ENTIRE POINT. I agree with you re: a "perversion," of course, but we're speaking of two different concepts. HL.

weapon
View Profile
Inner circle
I am Emran. I have,
1329 Posts

Profile of weapon
Magicwanabe, no offense taking, I respect your opinion 100%!

Harry, thanks for your feed back again what a great effect.. fools everyone..

lol six, I actually stopped by the shop yesterday.. haven't been there in forever..lol

again thanks for all the wonderfully feedback.. helps me keep the creative juices flowing!
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2009-09-18 15:28, Harry Lorayne wrote:

Harry,
Most of us are all complaining about magicians simply copying lavishly the method and presentations that they have learned.

I would support any research which reflects the attempt of a magician to use his head and input his own style.

In your brilliant Out Of This Universe, you supplied one solution to the question of shuffling. Now there is a trade off to anything. Out of this world is already a trick that performers with a poor scrip find long, Out of the Universe, for this sort of performers (and they are many), feels even longer.

This feeling is true to the extent that some magicians solve this issue in involving less cards.

Not having this sort of problem, I found another way of doing the effect with a shuffled deck than Ulysses F. Grant's method, but allowing spectators to shuffle the deck face down and permitting the performer not to touch the cards anymore (even for the turning over).

I think that your great routine is yours, and that no one should feel entitled to present it as you do: first it's yours, second we all have a different personality which differ. Actually no matter how hard they would try, they wouldn't become Harry Lorayne (and maybe they would do more harm than good to our version)

I would suggest magicians willing to do the Paul Curry's effect (even if it's debatable whether he really was he first at it), to deeply understand what Harry brought to the effect and consider it along with other techniques, to design their own routine, with their own script.

Now I tend to follow Dai Vernon in magic and advertisers in communication: use a Unique Selling Proposition. Spectators must know exactly what the effect is and there should only be one effect by trick. (yes! I know how much magicians love kicker endings, but I also know how the audience psychology works, and I always favor the audience's pleasure over mine).
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Furniture
View Profile
Elite user
London
415 Posts

Profile of Furniture
Michael Ammar has a nice version in wis Easy To Master Card Miracles vol 9. Impromptu with just 1/2 Deck. The effect is credited to Paul Curry and Harry Lorayne
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8331 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Lawrence O: It really, as usual, boils down to a matter of presentation.I think that selectivity is also important. If a performer feels that a particular routine doesn't fit his personality or is too long for him, then he shouldn't present that routine - there are plenty of others to choose from. There are certain routines that should be done only for certain audiences. I sure as heck would never do my Out of this Universe in a noisy, drinking, situation - actually, I wouldn't do anything in such a situation! Anyway, as usual, it's always up to the individual, isn't it? Best - HARRY L.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Out Of This Universe with a prediction? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL