The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Do As I Do (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
I'm doing a research on "Do as I do" with one or two decks.
As it may involve methods, I've placed a more detailed post with the sources alrready explored in Secret Sessions
Since not everyone is following the secret sessions, I'm looking any reference on "You do as I do effects" and already went through the many Jean Hugard and the Vernon versions.
Thanks for any contribution.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Llynus
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Llynus
Not sure if you've got these already but:

John Scarne "Triple Coincidence", Stars of Magic
John Scarne & Roberto Giobbi "Triple Coincidence", Card College Vol 1 pg99
Father Cyprian "Cloning", Apocalypse 1-5 pg193
Russell Barnhart "Do As I Do Prediction", Apocalypse 1-5 pg 425
Greg Miller "Thinking Man's Do As I Do", Apocalypse 6-10 pg957
Barry Stevenson "Sign As I Sign", Apocalypse 6-10 pg1172
Paul Vigil "Diplopia", Diplopia
Darwin Ortiz "Do As I Did", At The Card Table
Boris Pocus (Jay Sankey) "Echo", Boris Pocus Extremely Mental
Chad Long "Shuffling Lesson", True Astonishments Vol4 (Not strictly Do As I Do, depends on your criteria)

Here's a vid of "Shuffling Lesson" if you're unaware of the effect: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtkxCJ1V49Y
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Here's another one from Harry Lorayne, that I have not seen performed (except by me)or even discussed on any of the magic forums. It's called "Platinum Discrepancy" which first appeared as a preview of Harry's book "Personal Collection" in Genii magazine 11/2001. It's a one deck version of the plot and in my opinion it's a really great one.
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
4654 Posts

Profile of Sixten
Also:

From "Scarne Card Tricks':
"You Do As I Do"/Mr. John Scarne/Pg. 25
"You Do As I Do"/using one pack of cards/Mr. Al Baker & Dr. Ben Braude/Pg. 27

2 marketed effects:
"Two Deck Coincidence" & "Mentalink"

:)
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Thanks.
Here is an updated list

You do as I do

Aldini, The Great [aka: James A. Hume]: You Do As I Don't

Allerton, Bert. Expert Card Technique ©1940 1st edition by Jean Hugard and Frederic Braue, New York; 1944 second edition, New York; 1950, third edition, published by George Starke including the two new sections: A Lesson In Card Handling, by Dai Vernon and The Side Steal and some of its finer points, by Dr. Jacob Daley; 1951 3rd edition published by Faber and Faber; 1974 Dover paperback edition - a republication of the 1944 second edition; Chapter 14. Self-Working Tricks p 395 Contrary do as I do.

Ammar, Michael: Amazing Secrets of Card Magic DVD: You Do As I Do & Easy To Master Card Miracles Vol 6 ©2003 by Michael Ammar, L & L Publishing; Triple Coincidence is a very nice 3 card Do As I Do. Unusual.

Anderson, George: Magic Digest Fun Magic for Everyone ©1972 Digest Books, Inc. p 73 You Do As I Do: an easy card trick

Angel, Criss. Master Mindfreaks - Vol 2 DVD. ©2009; Criss performs each demonstration with legendary and world-renowned magician Johnny Tompson in front of a live audience at the Magic Castle in Hollywood, CA. Then they personally teach you everything you need to know step-by-step so you too can master each Mindfreak. Vol 2 includes Criss Angel’s take on Do As I Do.

Anthonson, Andrew. The Trestle Board, Special Edition Official News Bulletin of the Invisible Lodge by Don Potts, p 7 Double Twin Coincidence: A you do as I do effect where spectator and magician both pick matching cards

Asher, Lee. Hand Jobs ©2001 Lee Asher Magic; p 16 Cheek-to-Cheek Asher Style – A combination of Cheek-to-Cheek and Do as I Do

Baker, Al: Al Baker's Magical Ways and Means ©1941, Publ. by Carl W. Jones; p 12 One Deck Do As I Do & The Secret Ways of Al Baker by Al Baker & Various ©2003 The Miracle Factory - Todd Karr; p 151 One Deck Do as I Do; p 764: You Do as I Do with One Pack

Barnhart, Russell. Apocalypse Vol 3 No 12 ©Dec 1980 by Harry Lorayne p 425 Do As I Do Prediction: nice do as I do with prediction

Barnowski, Larry. The Kingdom of Red. You Do AS I Do With My Dough: a betting effect with packets of cards from the same deck

Carey, John: Further spotlight-Carey on cards e-Book at johncareymagic@googlemail.com. Cut off point is an extremely simple but powerful approach to the classic one deck do as I do; Twin decisions-another approach to the one deck do as I do with a few different approaches outlined

Cervon, Bruce. Bruce Cervon's Castle Notebooks - Volume 1 Notebooks 1,2,3 (1964-1965) ©2007 L&L Publishing; p 51 4 Card You Do As I Do as Vernon's Variant for the routine published in Ultimate Card Secrets; p 53 My King Trick

Chris, Tony: The Chosen DVD A deck of cards. Nothing more, nothing less. Any card is named. It will be the only one marked with an X. This is what spectators will experience and it does rock them. Very easily adapted for a killer Do As I Do.

Christopher, Milbourne: Milbourne Christopher's Magic Book - Tricks for the Living Room, Dinner Table, or Stage ©1977 Milbourne Christopher. Published by Signet, New American Library. Original Hardcover Thomas Y Crowell Co. and in Canada by Fitzhenry & Whiteside Limited, Toronto; p 61 The Rival Magician: You do as I do burnt handkerchief. Magician burns spectator's handkerchief and restores it, spectator burns magician's handkerchief but fails in restoring, the magician succeeds, though. Plot could be adapted to cards with a torn and restored plot.

Cummins, Paul: You Do As I Do

Curry, Paul . My Best The Best Tricks from the best brains in magic, edited by J.G. Thompson Jr. ©1945/1959 D.Robbins & Co., Inc.; p 78 Follow Me a do as I do with two decks

Cyprian, Father. Apocalypse Vol 2 No 5 ©May 1979 by Harry Lorayne; p 193 Cloning: You do as I do with one deck

Czerbinski, Jeff: Apocalypse Vol 8 No 10 ©Oct 1985 by Harry Lorayne; p 1123 Match Made In Heaven: perfection Do as I Do using the Curry Turnover Change

Daley Doc. Jacob: Ted Annemann's Full Deck of Impromptu Card Tricks Taken from the pages of The Jinx, JJ Jr Crimmins (editor): ©1943 Original; published by Max Holden; p 14 A Paradox Of Pairs. You Do As I Do with one deck & Encyclopaedia of card tricks by Jean Hugard Paradox of Pairs is a one deck version & Card Conspiracy Vol. 1 ©2003 by Peter Duffie and Robin Robertson; p 34 Daley’s Do as I Do.

Daniels, Paul. Paul Daniels Adult Magic ©1989 by Barry Murray, published by Michael O'Mara Books Limited; p 151 Telepathic Do As I Do--Magician and spectator each take deck of cards, both hold them out of sight under table, shuffle, decks exchanged under table, decks shuffled again, decks cut, spectator selects card from deck, hands it to magician, magician inserts it in deck, decks cut, magician selects card, hands it to spectator, spectator inserts it in deck, both decks brought into view, decks searched for card of contrasting color, both cards turned up at same time, they match.

Darbyshire, Lydia (editor): The Magic Book; Master the Mysteries of Over 150 Magic Tricks ©1997 Quintet Publishing Limited, London. Published for the USA by Chartwell Books, Inc; p 94 Simon Says: a you do as I do card effect

Dobson, Wayne: Dobson's Choice TV Stuff DVD Volume 3 Includes a Do As I Do routine (repeated three times!)

Dowden, Matthew J. 1 Deck, 14 Tricks, 24 Hours DVD, Do As I Do is a two deck version

Einhorn, Nicholas: The Practical Encyclopedia of Magic ©2002, 2007, Anness Publishing, HermesHouse.com; p 58 Do As I Do: Magician and spectator each select the same card from their respective decks

Eldin, Peter. The Magic Handbook ©1985, published by Simon & Schuster; p 125 Do As I Do. Two decks version

Fantomas. Apocalypse Vol 9 No 5 ©May 86 by Harry Lorayne; p 1205 Pre Poker Match: You Do As I Do routine used as prelude to a Poker related routine

Fitzkee, Dariel: The Trick Brain Book Two of the Fitzkee Trilogy ©1944: Chapter XVI: Sympathetic Reactions: You do as I do

Francis, Cameron. The Omega Mutation, with Cameron Francis Vol 3 DVD Omega ©2003 by BigBlindMedia; “Connections” is a super clean Do As I Do effect with a very strong climax and this one is pretty darned weird.

Fulves, Karl: Self-Working Card Tricks ©1976, Published by Dover Publications, Inc. p 38 Coincidence Tricks: Do As I Do. Using different decks the spectator and the performer choose the same card; p 44 Ultra Coincidence. Similar effect as to Do As I Do but using different method. & More Self Working Card Tricks & My Best Self Working Card tricks & Self Working Mental Magic

Galloway, Andrew: Diverting Card Magic; p 28 Do As Al Baker Did

Ganson, Lewis: Matching the Cards - Ganson's Magic Teach-In Series ©1977 1st edition The Supreme Magic Co. Ltd and now Martin Breese: When Lewis Ganson asked Dai Vernon what he considered to be the best card effect, he replied that in his opinion "Matching The Cards" would be difficult to beat, particularly when performed for lay audiences. His opinion is shared by many of the world's leading card experts, who have often featured one version or another in their acts. The grand daddy of this effect can be found in Magician's Tricks by Hatton and Plate. The effect of Vernon's version is as follows: A card is selected by a spectator and placed face down on the table without the face being shown, then the performer endeavors to cut to the three other cards which match to make 'four of a kind'. He shows each card as it is found - three Eights and places them face down on the table. When the spectator's card is turned, it is found to be a King, so seemingly a mistake has been made. However, when the other three cards are turned face up once more, they prove to be all Kings! You will learn variations by Dai Vernon, Nate Leipzig, Herbert Milton, Faucett Ross, Fred Lowe, and Luis Gavilondo; p 25 Matching "Do As I Do"

Gardner, Martin. Ted Annemann's Full Deck of Impromptu Card Tricks Taken from the pages of The Jinx, JJ Jr Crimmins (editor): ©1943 Original; published by Max Holden; p 29 An Easy Lesson is a Do As I Do effect

Gibson, Walter B. My Best The Best Tricks from the best brains in magic, edited by J.G. Thompson Jr. ©1945/1959 D.Robbins & Co., Inc.; p 92 Turnabout: Two spectators come up with a match in two decks. Good prelude to a Do As I Do effect

Giobbi, Roberto. Card College Vol 1 p 99: Roberto's take on John Scarne's "Triple Coincidence"

Grant, Ulysses F. Tricks for Kid Shows 25 New, Good & Unusual Tricks Plus Free Supplement of Ideas - Gags - Advice ©1951 Second Printing; Written and Illustrated by Don Tanner; Published by U.F. Grant, Columbus, 4, Ohio; Printed by The New Phoenix Press; p 21 Supplement of Gags and Ideas: More hints and tips on working with children, such as: don't kill time, audience participation, what to say and what not to say, Anti-Gravico idea, U-Do-As-I-Do, using reading glasses, hand buzzer, and a few more

Griffin, Gerry. Complete Card Magic with Gerry Griffin Vol 1 DVD: in the beginners’ dvd; Do As I Do is the Two decks classic version

Guyatt, Terry: Terry Guyatt Presents Close Up Magic VHS RelflextionsDo As I Do a three phase very good one deck Do As I Do

Haines, Ronald. 36 Tricks with FA-KO Cards ©1962 Haines House of Cards, Ohio; p 26 The Faulty Follower (Gen Grant, Ken Brooke): Five Card do as I do effect

Harrison, Peter. Magic In The Real World. You Do As She Thinks - The deck is never touched by the performer. One spectator thinks of any card in the deck and never says it aloud. Another spectator takes any card they wish and turns it face-up in the deck. The first spectator reveals the card she is thinking of and the second spectator spreads his cards to show he selected the correct card.

Hamblan, Roland. Greater Magic. A Practical Treatise On Modern Magic, by John Northern Hilliard; His Manuscripts and Notes Edited by Carl W. Jones and Jean Hugard. Illustrations by Harlan Tarbell ©1994 Estate of Helen W. Jones; p 270 You Do as I Do; p 281 Do As I Do (the name is misspelled as Hamblen); p 485 4. The Five Cards Do As I Do-You Can't;

Hartman, J.K: Card Craft

Hay, Henry: The Amateur Magician's Handbook, Third Edition ©1950, 1972 Henry Hay p 347 Appendix: Further Tricks and Illusions Glossary: defines and describes many effects including You Do As I Do

Heller A.: You Do As Heller Does

Hilliard, John Northern: Greater Magic. A Practical Treatise On Modern Magic His Manuscripts and Notes Edited by Carl W. Jones and Jean Hugard. Illustrations by Harlan Tarbell ©1938 by Carl Waring Jones ©1994 Estate of Helen W. Jones with Additional Material from the 1994 edition; p 270 You Do as I Do: A. The Sympathetic Cards; p 277 C. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Part 2 is a do as I do with thought of cards with two decks; p 281 Do As I Do (Rolland Hamblen); p 485 4. The Five Cards Do As I Do-You Can't; p 576 1. Dai Vernon Do As I Do: the decks are not exchanged, no key card

Hofzinser, Johan Nepomuk. Greater Magic. A Practical Treatise On Modern Magic His Manuscripts and Notes Edited by Carl W. Jones and Jean Hugard. Illustrations by Harlan Tarbell ©1938 by Carl Waring Jones ©1994 Estate of Helen W. Jones with Additional Material from the 1994 edition; p 281 F. The "J.N.H." Method

Hugard, Jean & Braue, Frederic. Ted Annemann's Full Deck of Impromptu Card Tricks Taken from the pages of The Jinx, JJ Jr Crimmins (editor): ©1943 Original; published by Max Holden; p 27 Follow Me: Do as you do with two spectators & The Royal Road To Card Magic ©1949 first edition; 1999 Dover Publications; p 70 Do As I Do; p 78 Intuition with Cards: two cards are initialed, spectator and magician each chose them & Royal Road To Card Magic Vol 2 DVD by R. Paul Wilson: Do As I Do & Encyclopedia of Card Tricks ©1937 Max Holden; 1974 Reprint Dover Publications; D. Robbins & Co. p. 67 Chapter III "You Do As I Do”; p 67 A Peculiar Coincidence; p 68 You Do As I Do; p 68 Identical Thought; p 68 Two Souls With A Single Thought; p 68 Follow Me ; p 69 A Close Work Discovery ; p 69 A Follow Up Effect; p 70 Coincidence; p 70 Loyd's Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde; p 71 A Variation of the Above; p 71 Another Do As I Do; p 72 Do As I Do in the Dark; p 72 Domination of Thought; p 73 A Strange Coincidence; p 74 Coincidence Again; p 74 Sympathetic Sympathy; p 75 Synthetic Sympathy; p 76 Backs Up; p 77 Mental Coincidence; p 78 Coincidence; p 78 Another Marvelous Coincidence; p 79 A Card Sympathy; p 80 Paradox of Pairs; p 81 Hugard's Follow Me & Expert Card Technique 1940 1st edition, New York; 1944 second edition, New York; 1950, third edition, published by George Starke includes the two new sections: A Lesson In Card Handling, by Dai Vernon and The Side Steal and some of its finer points, by Dr. Jacob Daley; 1951 3rd edition published by Faber and Faber; 1974 Dover paperback edition - a republication of the 1944 second edition; Chapter 14. Self-Working Tricks p 393. Do as I do. New presentation: a prediction is written and set aside. Two cards are taken (one by the performer and one by a spectator in the classics way) and they match. Now their points are added and the spectator deals down from his deck and the card arrived at matches the prediction; p 395 Contrary do as I do by Bert Allerton

Jennings, Larry: Pierre Mayer presents Larry Jennings Close Up part 1 VHS ©1981 by Pierre Mayer: Synchronicity & The Classic Magic Of Larry Jennings (Maxwell, 1986) p 10 Synchronicity

Kaplan, George: The Fine Art Of Magic 1948 b George Kaplan; p 65 New Card Affinity. Uses distant key card to count to spectators card; p 88 Multiple Do As I Do. Five correspondences but heavy counting work; p 155 Do As I Do using the top card as key card; p 173 Psychic Sympathy with signature and duplicate

Keller, Cy. You Do As Cy Do

Kimlat, Kostya. East Coast Super Session Book One ©2006 by Doc Docherty et al p 2: Two Step, Two Step: clean Do as I Do

Koran, Al. Routined Manipulation Finale by Lewis Ganson, ©1954 Lewis Ganson; ©1976 D.Robbins & Co., Inc. ; p 165 Chapter 14: Perfection Do As I Do: Two packs of cards are used, one is handed to a spectator. Spectator takes a card face down from his deck, performer removes a card from his, they are both the same. Performer places the Queen of Hearts down and turns the spectator's card down, when turned up, it too is the Queen of Hearts. Uses the Paul Curry Turnover Change.

Kort, Milton. Kort is Now in Session ©1962, Ireland Magic Company; p 7 Exhibit One - Kortially Yours: Multiple spectators hold packets of cards and perform a "do as I do" with the magician. When the packets are spread, each has a face up card that matches that spectator's selection.

Lasher, Micah. The Magic of Micah Lasher More than Fifty Tricks That Will Amaze and Delight Everyone Including You. ©1996 Micah Lasher: Published by Simon and Schuster p 45 You Do As I Do: magician and spectator select the same card (two decks version)

Lees, Walt. England Up Close by Peter Duffie ©2006 1st Edition Peter Duffie. No Exchange Do as I Do

Lorayne, Harry: Close-Up Card Magic ©1962 D. Robbins & Co., Inc., p 96 Automatic Mind-Reading: Automatic Mind Reading. A Do As I Do card effect presented as mind reading & Tarbell, Harlan: Tarbell's Course In Magic, Volume 7 by Harry Lorayne ©1972 Tannen's, D. Robbins; p 116 Topsy Turvey Follow Me: Do as I Do & The Himber Wallet Book "All You Ever Wanted to Know about the Himber Wallet And More" ©1998 L&L Publishing; p 85 Do As I Do: Magician and spectator both pick a card from separate decks and place in wallet: they match! & The Classic Collection Vol 1 ©2005 by Harry Lorayne. & Genii magazine Nov 2001. Platinum Discrepancy is a one deck version & Personal Collection ©2001 Harry Lorayne Inc. p 417: Platinum Discrepancy. A one deck Do As I Do using the Delayed Braue Reversal

Madison, Daniel. Memento. Marketed item by magicbox.uk.com. Memento is a special deck of cards that brings a variety of performance possibilities to a range of performers from card magicians to mentalists. The effect works more or less along the lines of Tony Chris “The Chosen”. A freely thought of card appears marked in the deck which is otherwise unmarked.

McCarthy, Daniel: Apocalypse Vol 13 No 8 ©Aug 1990 by Harry Lorayne; p 1813 Now It's My Problem!: You do as I do with 8 cards

Miller, Greg: Apocalypse Vol 7 No 8 ©Aug 1984 by Harry Lorayne; p 957 Thinking Man's Do As I Do: Spectator and magician each select card. Cards are exchanged and placed in the other's half of the deck. Deck is shuffled as a whole and cut again. Spec and Magician remove all cards of same value as selected: these cards are of the same denomination

Ortiz, Darwin: At The Card Table; p. 140: Do as I did & At The Card Table Vol 2 DVD; Do as I did. The effect uses a Si Stebbins stack but Darwin demonstrates and explains how to set the deck in Si Stebbins order from a brand new deck during the shuffling procedure. It also requires being able to faro shuffle the deck and involves an Ultra Mental deck

Ose, Jay. Ultimate Secrets of Card Magic ©1978 by Lewis Ganson The Supreme Magic Company p 237 "Do as I Do" with one Pack. The spectator and the performer each have one half of the deck.

Page, Patrick:

Pierre, Roger: The Magic of Francis Carlysle The Upside Down Deck

Pocus, Boris. Extremely Mental DVD. Impulse Control: displays the performer's ability to control a spectator choice; Telling Tales: Boris demonstrates a "tell" and (the seldom seen) "reverse tell"; Projection: the performer engages a spectator's "projective imagination"; Echo: the performer creates a "mental echo" between himself and a spectator

Pogue, David: Magic for Dummies ©1998 IDG Books; p 187 You Do As I Do: magician and spectator each select a card from one of two decks. They selected the same card.

Racherbaumer, Jon (editor): The Artful Dodges of Eddie Fields ©1976 Tannen Magic Inc., NY; p 54 Yogi You Do As I Do: Two cards match.

Robinson, Fred. The Magic of Fred Robinson by Peter Duffie ©2009 Martin Breese; p 233 Do as I Do is a two decks version

Roth, David.: Spectacle A Compilation of Modern Wonders ©1990 by Stephen Minch, L&L Publishing; p 89 Limbo in China: A You Do As I Do routine initially for coins. Performer and spectator each place three Chinese coins on a chopstick. The coins are seen to slide smoothly on each stick. Magician separates the coins, raises the stick, and his coins remain separated, while the spectator's fall. This is repeated with two, then the coins and sticks are exchanged, and repeated with one. The effect can be adapted to cards.

Ross, Eric: Election Marketed Item by Paper Crane Productions; Two spectators are each given a deck of cards and instructed to pick a card behind their backs. When revealed the spectators have chosen the same card with a special twist at the end

Rusduck {[aka J. Russell Duck]: The Cardiste Magazine Available as an eBook from Peter Duffie; Issue Number 6 Major-Minor Do-as-I-do

Sankey, Jay: Sankey's Secret Files Vol 1. Ditto - A very, very, very, sneaky "Do As I Do."

Scarne, John: Scarne on Card Tricks ©1950 John Scarne, Crown Publishers, NY. 1974 Signet Edition; p 25 13) You Do As I Do: 2 Deck version. Magician and spectator each shuffle deck, select card, place it back in deck, and exchange decks. Each looks through deck and removes selected card, and they match; p 27 14) You Do As I Do: 1 Deck version (Al Baker/Dr. Ben Braude). As above, but each using 1/2 the deck. May not work quite as nicely if a "matching card", say the 2 of Spades to match 2 of Clubs, is not in the right half of the deck; p 9 3) The Upside Down Deck by Francis Carlyle: Performer and Magician each select cards from thier halves, exchange them and insert them into the deck. Some cards are reversed. Deck rights itself except for the two selections. & Stars of Magic. Triple Coincidence by John Scarne

Spillman, Steve: You Do As I Do One Deck version

Steele, Rufus: Paul Rosini's Magical Gems (1950). "Rosini's Double Reverse".

Tarbell, Harlan: Tarbell Course in Magic Vol 1 ©1927 Tarbell Systems, Inc., 1941 Louis Tannen, 1971 D. Robbins & Co., Inc. p 232 You Do As I Do. The classic two decks version supplied with a patter & Tarbell's Course In Magic, Volume 7 by Harry Lorayne ©1972 Tannen's, D. Robbins; p 116 Topsy Turvey Follow Me: Do as I Do

Stevenson, Barry. Apocalypse Vol 9 No 2 Special All Card Issue ©Feb 86 by Harry Lorayne; p 1172 Sign as I Sign: You do as I do card effect; requires preparation

Tarr, Bill: 101 Easy-to-Learn Classic Magic Tricks ©1977, published by Vintage Books, a division of Random House; p 74 You Do As I Do. The classic two deck version.

Thompson, J.G.: Magic To Delight Pleasing Tricks In Abundant Variety ©1970 Louis Tannen, Tannen Publishers p. 23 Like Attracts, Man!: A do as I do with 4 cards each

Tremaine, Jon: The Amazing Book of Magic & Card Tricks ©2000 Salamander Books, Ltd; 2000 Barnes & Noble Books; p 120 Do As I Do: two decks version

Trost, Nick. The Card Magic Of Nick Trost p. 39 Do As I Do With Two Cards; Double Turnover Coincidence is a nice single deck variant of 'Do As I Do' where the performer makes a prediction and performer and spectator each select the predicted mates which turn up face up in each other's packets; Abracardabra is a nice packet trick of the 'do as I do' variety &
Nick Trost's Subtle Card Creations, Vol 1 ©2008 p 25 Do As I Do Suit Separation (with Reinhart Müller) uses the Gilbreath principle.

Turner, Bill: How To Do Tricks With Cards (Formerly published as The Card Wizard) ©1949 David McKay Co, 1973 Collier Books reprint. p 80 Do As I Do: Spectator & Magician each shuffle, cut, peek at a card and cut again. They exchange decks. Spectator and Magician each take a selection: they match!

Vernon, Dai: Greater Magic. A Practical Treatise On Modern Magic, by John Northern Hilliard: His Manuscripts and Notes Edited by Carl W. Jones and Jean Hugard. Illustrations by Harlan Tarbell ©1938 by Carl Waring Jones ©1994 Estate of Helen W. Jones with Additional Material from the 1994 edition p 576 1. Dai Vernon Do As I Do: the decks are not exchanged, no key card & Dai Vernon's Inner Secrets of Card Magic Part One by Lewis Ganson ©1957 Harry Stanley's Unique Magic Studio and later Supreme Magic of England: p 17 Repeat "Do As I Do": in this version the magician and spectator do not need to exchange packs & Dai Vernon's Inner Card Trilogy by Lewis Ganson ©1996 L&L Publishing, Original 1957 Harry Stanley's Unique Magic Studio and Second reprint November 1976, The Supreme Magic Company. p 17 Repeat "Do As I Do": in this version the magician and spectator do not need to exchange packs & Dai Vernon's Ultimate Card Secrets ©1978 by Lewis Ganson The Supreme Magic Company, Third impression p 31 Chapter 5: Do As I Do The performer removes one card from his pack and places it in his pocket. Now the spectator cuts his pack at any point, completes the cut and looks at the bottom card. According to the number of spots on that card , so the spectator counts that number of cards from the top of the pack, and places the card arrived at on the table. Without hesitation the performer removes the previously pocketed card: they are the same.

Victor, Edward: More Magic of the Hands ©1938 (circa), published by Louis Tannen, Inc., NY p 66 Move 5: "Do As I Do" & Classic Card Tricks ©2004 Dover Publications; p 81 6. Some Fresh Card Effects: "Do As I Do" & Further Magic of the Hands ©1946 by Max Holden, published by Max Holden, NY; p 29 Another "Do As I Do" Effect: magician and spectator each select the same card from two packs

Vigil, Paul. Diplopia eMagicSupply.com download. The spectator is asked to read the magician’s mind and remove the card they feel is being concentrated upon. The magician does the same. With no questions asked the magician finds the spectator’s card and the spectator finds the magician’s one

Weill, Bob. Personal Magic Vol. 1 by Eric Lewis, CDROM from MagiKraft Studios; p 97 You Do As I Do Miracle Routine;

Williams, Geoff: Devastation. You Do As I Do with two (red & blue) decks

Wilson, Mark. Mark Wilson's complete course in magic. Co-author Walter Gibson; contributors Don Wayne, Larry Anderson Fr. Jim Blantz, Earl Nelson, Tom O'Lenick, Peter Pit, David Roth, Brick Tilley, Alan Wakeling, U.F. Grant ©1975, 1988 Mark Wilson, Ottenheimer Publishers, Inc., for Courage Books; p 44 You Do As I Do: Magician and Spectator both shuffle decks, exchange them, select a card and return them, exchange decks again and finds "duplicate" of selected card. They both match; p 55 The Color Changing Decks (Two Deck Version): Red deck and blue deck shuffled and placed near their respective boxes. One card removed from each and placed on the other deck causes the entire decks to transpose; p 102 Do As I Do Oil and Water: six card red and black separation, with spectator participation; p 114 You Can't Do As I Do (Five Cards): Spectator and Magician each flip 5 cards in various ways. Magician's packet always ends up all face down, Spectator's always has one face up The Color Changing Decks (two deck version).

Wiseman, Richard. British Close-Up Magic Symposium: All nine Symposium books, by Mark Leveridge ©Mark Leveridge Magic p 209 Do As I Do (Version 54)
Agaton
View Profile
Loyal user
Manila
299 Posts

Profile of Agaton
Excellent work Lawrance! You deserve an accolade for that fantastic research!
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
There are still a few that I could not locate and you can see that some of the references are not complete, missing a page number or some data enabling a researcher to easily find the effect.

Thus don't hesitate to help completing this list, either filling up some blank in existing references or adding existing routine with their full reference.
ilmungo
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of ilmungo
Would you consider Michael Vincent's effect "Kismet" a sort of one deck "do as I do"?

Luigi
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Ed Marlo small pamphlet from Magic Inc. "Marlo Meets His Match"; one version also appears in The Cardician. See "Matcho." Great version IMHO.
prototype
View Profile
Veteran user
Rick Holcombe
320 Posts

Profile of prototype
"Optical Prediction" in "The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings" is a nice follow up to Do As I Do. It just requires swaping decks one more time and stealing a card before you swap.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2009-09-19 21:24, ilmungo wrote:
Would you consider Michael Vincent's effect "Kismet" a sort of one deck "do as I do"?

Luigi

Yes I think we could and as Michael Vincent is one of my very preferred performers I will support the inclusion of his Kismet into the list.

... and thanks to Agaton for the accolade: it's nice to have Manila friends sharing magic here.
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
4654 Posts

Profile of Sixten
[quote]On 2009-09-19 09:26, Sixten wrote:
Also:

From "Scarne Card Tricks':
"You Do As I Do"/Mr. John Scarne/Pg. 25
"You Do As I Do"/using one pack of cards/Mr. Al Baker & Dr. Ben Braude/Pg. 27

2 marketed effects:
"Two Deck Coincidence" & "Mentalink"

Sorry, Mr. "O". Just noticed this:

"Two Deck Coincidence": Dealer item. Originally: Mr. Geoff Maltby of Repro Magic.
The selling rights were purchased by Mr. Mike Danata. It is available (from him) at:
http://www.mikedanatasmagicstudio.co.uk
"Mentalink": Also a dealer item. From 1986. Glau's Black Magic Collection, Prescott, Arizona. (I bought this effect from a fellow Café member, and not aware if
this dealer is still in business?)

:)
ilmungo
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of ilmungo
Quote:
On 2009-09-22 02:59, Lawrence O wrote:

Yes I think we could and as Michael Vincent is one of my very preferred performers I will support the inclusion of his Kismet into the list.

Michael Vincent is nothing short of inspirational, and Kismet has quickly become one of my favorite effects. Glad it made the list! Smile

Luigi
Alel
View Profile
Special user
Bay Area
668 Posts

Profile of Alel
I think this can also be added to the list: 'Same Think', Between Two Minds Too by Walter Pharr & Ned Rutledge (page 11)...

The Effect (second phase):

"...Going on a more advanced test, the spectator takes half the deck, the performer the remaining half. Each selects a card from his/her half, replaces it, and cuts the cards. As each turns cards face up one at a time, the performer says, 'stop'. The performer's selected card is now showing. If the spectator's next face up card is his/her chosen card, then rapport has been established. It is the chosen card, and there's rapport!"
tomcards
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
395 Posts

Profile of tomcards
Hi Lawrence,

My effect "Kitchen Sync" appeared in MAGIC in August 2006; in The Linking Ring in July 2007; and in M-U-M in August 2007. Jeez. Talk about overkill!

Tom Frame
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2009-09-22 20:44, tomcards wrote:
Hi Lawrence,

My effect "Kitchen Sync" appeared in MAGIC in August 2006; in The Linking Ring in July 2007; and in M-U-M in August 2007. Jeez. Talk about overkill!

Tom Frame

Can you give a brief description (one deck? two decks? number of exchange of decks...) which makes it original
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
Vigil's diplopia is largely inspired by (and credits it in its source) Paul Cummins' tapalack (published in Magic Magazine july 2005). Michael Vincent's Kismet is in the same vein, but with major differences in the modus operandi.

Jonathan.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Just fot the record - I believe that both Vigil's and Cummins's items were/are inspired by my THE EPITOME LOCATION. Best - HARRY L.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
tomcards
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
395 Posts

Profile of tomcards
Quote:
Can you give a brief description (one deck? two decks? number of exchange of decks...) which makes it original

This is my methodological tweak of George Engel’s “Do As I Do”, from Hugard‘s Magic Monthly, May 1949. My handling eliminates the need to spread the deck face-up to spot the top and bottom cards. And you are not forced to frantically search through your participant’s deck, find two cards and reposition them to the top and bottom, while purportedly looking for your card.

The performer and participant choose a card from their respective decks and then bury them in their decks. They exchange decks, and remove and table the cards that they chose from the other deck.

The performer and participant each cut a small packet of cards off the top of their decks. They each count their packets into face-down piles. They are surprised to discover that they each have the same number of cards in their piles.

They table these piles face-up off to the side of the table and discover the same card on the face of each pile. They table the balance of their deck face-up off to one side and discover that the face cards of their decks match. Finally, they turn over their selected cards, revealing the final, perfect match.

Tom Frame
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
Quote:
On 2009-09-24 12:01, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Just fot the record - I believe that both Vigil's and Cummins's items were/are inspired by my THE EPITOME LOCATION. Best - HARRY L.

They are, indeed.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Do As I Do (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL