The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Cups and Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
Here is an idea for those of you that do the Cups and balls, but want to make your presentation more original. Instead of using cups and balls as the name implies, use styrofoam cups and marshmallows. Your presentation could revolve around the fact that you either never have enough marshmallows for cocoa (the disappearance) or you have too many (all 3 under same cup).

For a finale, produce a larger marshamallow (typically used to make S-Mores, for you campers) Then for a grand finale produce hot cocoa packages from under the cups. Then, of course, you could make cocoa to hand out.

This isn't a strolling/street/restaurant style trick. This is best used for intimate performances. Those who are familiar with the cups and balls should know the workings. Also, you could use a coffee stirer or something of the like for a magic wand if you were so inclined.

XX
do magic

www.8bom.net
Eric Rose
View Profile
Regular user
Franklin, IN
160 Posts

Profile of Eric Rose
Nice idea, but I'm afraid it wouldn't have a lot of visual umph if you use the standard white styrofoam cups and white marshmallows. I don't think the marshmallows would show up. What if you used dark mugs instead. I also seem to remember these funky little pastel colored marshmallows by Kraft. I don't know if they even still make them. They tasted a little like a fruity chemistry experiment, but they might show up better against styrofoam.
Alessandro Scotti
View Profile
Loyal user
Italy
263 Posts

Profile of Alessandro Scotti
A quick trip to the dictionary hasn't shed light on that... what's a marshmallow?
Walk of Mind: the best source of bad magic
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Marshmallow is a soft confection made from sugar, corn syrup, egg white and gelatin. In it’s common form it appears like a puffed, stubby, white tube shape, that is simply that it is barrel shaped.

The very word is a lyrical mystery most of us have never considered. Why is a confection made of cornstarch, sugar and corn syrup called a marshmallow? Because the root of the mallow plant that grows in marshes was used to make them before gelatin was introduced. Marshmallows were healthier then. Mallow root boosts the immune system and white blood cells.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
I bow to you Harry.... anyone who knows that much about such a pointless thing deserves my respect!!

I love to collect useless facts, but you have taken it to another level!!

- Even if you had a look on the net, you still make legend status in my book.
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
I think it is fun to come up with new ideas for plots of the cups and balls with different cups and balls that fit the theme. I have a few. I think your idea with the hot cocoa and the marshmallows is awesome. Nice thinking. I would use colored marshmallows that you get at a grocery store for visual clarity. Keep working on it.

Andrew Smile
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Smile Smile

Chris,

I am a font of useless and arcane knowledge! I am a “Trivial Pursuit” Champion. That one didn’t take a search. I actually knew it, and actually have a recipe to make Marshmallow (using Gelatin rather than the real Mallow Root!).

I often say that I ought to get a life or maybe even a TV so that I would not read so much!

Smile Smile
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Alessandro Scotti
View Profile
Loyal user
Italy
263 Posts

Profile of Alessandro Scotti
Thanks Harry,
gotta try that next time I am in the USA! Smile
Walk of Mind: the best source of bad magic
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Harry always amazes me with the amount of knowledge he has. Thanks.
Bernard Sim
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Of course, for those with truly intense mallow mania, microwave one in a glass and watch the fun!

But I dirgress, I do a cups and balls routing that I call pots and pips. I use small flowerpots, (yes they have a hole in the bottom) along with some grapefruit pips or seeds. I use a small watering can, and either a citrus fruit or silk flower load at the finale. Talk about the weather, the quality of the soil and the special plant food you "water" them with!

In the event someone calls out the holes in the pots, I hand out the pots along with some round stickers for them to cover the holes inside and out! Right fair.
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Harry,
Why the heck aren't you on Jeopardy pulling down some big bucks!
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Cups and Balls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL