The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Free Meals? No, Thanks! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
It has always been of my personal belief system one of never, ever, accepting the sometimes seemingly innocent and nice 'free dinner' or 'a drink on the house' at work wheneer doing whatever kind of gig I'm doing. No matter if it is a stripper club or a fancy Japanese Restaurant, or even a kids' party. I never accepted to eat or drink at work when I was offered by the staff or even by my client(s).

From last Friday 'til yesterday's night, I did 5 gigs. Before the first gig at friday night, I was only drinking water and a little soda, I was aching for my beloved Cuba Libre, but I had to work and wanted al my senses correctly placed Smile , That is my standard behavior: I never drink alcoholics or eat 'heavy' food, so I assure myself I'll stay perfectly focused and won't need emergency trips to the restroom, fine.

So, one of those gis was at this fanciest shushi-house, never had been there (Awesome place!). A "friend" of mine was a resident magician there for about 6 months, he's a very good and well polished performer. He told me to get this show for he had another appointment for friday night (Probably a better paying gig, and as he is paid 50% in advance and 50% after each gig, he was already half paid but didn't want the restaurant owners to tell him to take a hike, so he called me on thursday and I accepted it. Not the best salary, but I definitely wanted to work there and give out as may business cards as I could!

When on the phone he asked me 'By the way, you're into sushi?', 'Most definitely, but why you ask?' I said. He told me that 'the dinner is on the house for you afterwards, their sushiman is a one of a kind!'. Yeah, he probably thought that I was desperately needing to eat... alright. I just said 'eh...yeah, fine then'.

S, I do my job and the restaurant staff is really impressed with my work. The house was filled, and I did 2 and half non-stop hours, even giving them another half hour for free (Again, that was a really good deal, if not for the cash, for the contacts... plus, I was yet 4 hours away from my next gig). I managed to keep the customers happy and those hours seemingly faded away in a matter of minutes, even for me (What a great fun it was).

I finish my last table, get to my dressing room, encase all my stuff back and get to talk with the GM and the owner of the place. They gently offered me afree dinner and a drink, even with a full house and I of course gently said "Thank you sir, I take it as a nice compliment, but I already had dinner at home with my lovely wife. I admit that I would take a drink right now, but I am not only still on my workplace, but I also have much more Magic to share in other places. I am most definitely coming soon to your restaurant as a customer, to bring my wife who loves japanese food. I hope you don't take it as an offense, but I just don't feel right to eat or have dinner on a place I am working at". They carefully listened to my every word and complimented me for my "work philosophy".

"You know, this friend of yours who sent you already finished his contract, and always accepted the dinner and drinks we offered him after each magic show he dd here. I am sure you will kep it a secret because of course you magicicans have so many... but we always did it as a test which now we saw a very good performer who also has very good ethics, *include his name here* has failed. Come to our office next week and we'll discuss the possiblity of hiring you for doing 2 or 3 nights per week"

The GM said "about payment, we'll talk later too. We can keep this rate, or increase it a bit. It is worth!"

I got their business cards, thanked them and received my payment. When I was about to leave the GM asked "Not even water?" and I rapidly said "I'm a magician!" and produced a small water bootle out of a silk I had handy. May the japanese gods bless the topit! Smile

Bottomline of my story is that a nice conduct can lead you to really good bookings, and perhaps a residency that pays twice as you'd expect.

Lesson learned: Always keep a silk and a water bootle handy!
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
I agree and disagree

don't accept a meal if its your 1st night working there like your own, but if your working a restaurant which has been your employment for a while then they may see it as an insult if you refused a meal.

also different cultures can be funny if you turn down what they offer so worth checking out if your working an african restaurant or someplace like that
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Good point!

In this case, the japanese owner understood my attitude as a sign of respect and professionalism, so it was great.

I agree with you, it is fundamental to get such information, it is a main part of getting ready and prepared for any sort of situation. One thing they really really liked about me is that even though I was supposed to do just one night there, I had learned a few japanese words and expressions. 'Thankgoogle' for that! Smile
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
So now for the curiosity of many. What are you going to do about the new job offer
and your friend who asked you to fill in for him????????
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
So what you are saying is that you STOLE a GIG from your Friend. WOW, where are your ETHICS?

ROd
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
BCaldwell
View Profile
Special user
is really regretting his
524 Posts

Profile of BCaldwell
Quote:
On 2009-09-21 13:10, First Class Magician wrote:
So what you are saying is that you STOLE a GIG from your Friend. WOW, where are your ETHICS?

ROd
I was kind of wondering that myself. You won't take a meal from a restaurant but you'll take a gig from someone you were filling in for? Doesn't really seem right to me but maybe I'm missing something...
"...that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller Smile

~Bob~
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
671 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
I've worked in restaurants for over 15 years, and part of my contract has always been that I receive a free meal in addition to my fee. My restaurant fee is drastically below my standard fee for outside events. It's the trade off for being employed on a regular basis. All my restaurants also give me free drinks. It wasn't part of my contract, it's just what the owners offered. They all realize that they are getting an incredible deal.

One of the restaurants I currently work has employed me for over 12 years. Another for over 7 years. I've used dozens of magicians to fill in for me when I get booked for outside events. I've established strong bonds with all my fellow magicians. The magicians are happy for the extra work, and the owners are happy because there is always somebody performing at the scheduled time.

As for being offered a job at a place where I was filling in for another magician. I would never take the job. Not only would it go against my ethics, but taking the job would do more damage than good. It would damage the relationship between me and the other magician and it would tarnish my good name. The magic community is small and word spreads fast. Hopefully, you will do the ethical thing.

My 2¢.

Lou Serrano
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I believe Fabio said the gig was over anyway for this performer. Otherwise I would question his eagerness to hand out his business cards as well. Not cool.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
I highly recommend you to read through the whole post of mine.

Let me point a couple of things out for you: First off, this guy had passed me the gig since he couldn't get there because of another appointment.

Second, and most importantly, the restaurant owners are free and entitled to pick whoever they like best to entertain their customers.

As a "first class magician", you should as well be more careful, read with moe attention and moreover not act harsh towards someone you don't know, right?

Quote:
On 2009-09-21 13:10, First Class Magician wrote:

ROd
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Quote:
On 2009-09-21 13:57, Ken Northridge wrote:
I believe Fabio said the gig was over anyway for this performer. Otherwise I would question his eagerness to hand out his business cards as well. Not cool.

I was authrized to do so both by the restaurant owner and by the other magician, wh had passed me the gig.
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Quote:
On 2009-09-21 13:58, Fábio DeRose wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-09-21 13:57, Ken Northridge wrote:

I was authrized to do so both by the restaurant owner and by the other magician, wh had passed me the gig.

did he pass you the gig as a 1 off though or for full time as he no longer wanted it?
yes restaurant owners are free to choose who they wish but it comes across that you'd happily take a job if it meant your mate lost out
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
DARN YOU FABIO!!!! Thanks to you, Lou Serrano and I now agree on something...so right there, that's one strike against you. Man...I've had such high hopes for you too. >sniff<

I could drive a Mac Truck thru all the holes in your story...it's just insanity! So much of what you say is so wrong on so many different levels.

It's funny that this subject matter should surface at this time as just last evening, I began writing my 2nd article for The Magic Menu on this very topic. For that reason alone, I shall refrain from my usual long winded commentary on this lunacy for the time being since it will appear in print in a few months.

To read more about my thoughts and to hear my advice on what one should do in this very situation, subscribe to The Magic Menu. It will be worth it...

With that said, I must comment on one of your statements. To not would be an injustice to my own level of intelligence.

I will comment on is this statement that was "allegedly" said from the restaurant:

Quote:
The GM said "about payment, we'll talk later too. We can keep this rate, or increase it a bit. It is worth!"

I think this statement is the biggest load of nonsense I have ever heard! Why on earth would a GM/Owner (who's main goal is to produce money for their restaurant by keeping their costs down) come forth and say, "hey, if you want more money than the other guy, we'll pay it!"

I just printed that one up and stuck it in my "yeah right!" file! Sorry man...the reality is it just doesn't hold water. And for that matter...neither do I...

Time for a potty break!

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
671 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
What is this world coming to when Chris and I actually agree on something? Oh, the horror.

Lou Serrano
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
I always include dinner as part of my fee to a restaurant. I do this with the understanding that I can either take the food to go or pass my meal for that night to another person. There have been many times that I have talked to somone about an upcoming gig and had the restaurant cover his meal on me. I have also given it to "regulars" from time to time for this reason or that. It is not as if they are offering it to me on top of my fee. It is my fee. I can not figure what type of "test" it could be for a restaurant to offer someone a meal or drink on the house. It happens all the time. However, you are the hero of your story, tell it like you want.
BCaldwell
View Profile
Special user
is really regretting his
524 Posts

Profile of BCaldwell
Quote:
On 2009-09-21 15:18, montymagi wrote:
I always include dinner as part of my fee to a restaurant. I do this with the understanding that I can either take the food to go or pass my meal for that night to another person. There have been many times that I have talked to somone about an upcoming gig and had the restaurant cover his meal on me. I have also given it to "regulars" from time to time for this reason or that. It is not as if they are offering it to me on top of my fee. It is my fee. I can not figure what type of "test" it could be for a restaurant to offer someone a meal or drink on the house. It happens all the time. However, you are the hero of your story, tell it like you want.
Well said, Monty.
"...that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller Smile

~Bob~
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
jiayi
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
313 Posts

Profile of jiayi
Why did you give them half hour free after your gig was supposed to be finished??? your reasoning doesn't make sense for a professional. and if you enjoy performing so much, then you shouldn't do this for a living. I think the moral of the story is to be careful of the "friend" who subs in for you. the story made me sad.
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
My dinner is in my contract, it is not on the house but part of my pay.

I don't however eat at the restaurant 98% of the time I take it to go.
I also won't eat at private party or other gigs, I am working here not a guest, so as long as I am not insulting the host, the most I will take maybe some water.

Oh if you do a Indian party, eat, the last one I did they would not let me leave till I had some thing. Best Indian food I have had in some time.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Quote:
On 2009-09-21 22:29, jiayi wrote:
...the story made me sad.

It remains unclear to me if Fabio was acting as a fill in or auditioning for an open position. If the magician that asked Fabio to perform at this restaurant was expecting to continue his run at the restaurant the following week, this is indeed a sad story.

Let’s look at it another way though, and I think this is the point that Fabio was trying to make.

Sometimes I think entertainers get too full of themselves and their superstar abilities go to their head. They forget that business must be a “win-win” and gravitate toward “what’s in it for me?” A meal and a drink in addition it being paid a good wage, accepting tips and auditioning for higher priced gigs (with the ability to accept those gigs on his scheduled evening at the restaurant) might not be win-win situation in the eyes of the restaurant owner.

If this were the case, you can see how a fill in performer with a good, professional attitude and good performing abilities could upset the status quo.

I agree with the many of you who say they would not even consider taking the gig. When I fill in for a regular restaurant performer, which I have many times, I maintain the mind set that this is not MY gig. I invite all the customers back to see the Great…. If I’m asked for a business card, I politely tell them to call the Great…., etc.

It’s a shame that Fabio’s point got lost on his apparent overzealousness to become the new regular.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
After an extended period of time I don't see the harm... HOWEVER I personally would not sit in and eat, always take it out... people that see the magician sitting all alone wolfing down a Chicken Parmesan on the house may pity the poor man and drop a few dollars on his table as they pass by.
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Free Meals? No, Thanks! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL