The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Some quick advice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Ronald72
View Profile
Loyal user
Holland
249 Posts

Profile of Ronald72
Only one book?
Cartomage
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Cartomage
No, 2 books.
As for the mentalism, the seller convinced me that it would be hard to give good mental effects with my length and age. (13, 1m45)
He said I was better off with a ouple stand alone tricks.

Xander
Mark Richardson
View Profile
New user
Oakland California
37 Posts

Profile of Mark Richardson
You did great. It sounds like you got everything you talked about and more. For your next visit I suggest you pick up a DVD of card tricks such as Michael Ammar's Easy to Master Card Miracles or the DVD of RRTCM, which may help you, understand the book. Books and DVD's are the best value for your money because you can learn multiple tricks from each.
Also, the notion that you are too young or too short to be a Mentalist is silly. You don't have to be 18 years old or 6 feet tall before you read someone’s mind. Lots of card tricks have an element of mind reading in them so I don’t see a difference. Magic is your hobby so if you want to be a Mentalist go for it.
Cartomage
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Cartomage
Thanks Mark.
But what do you think about my hand size. its almost a full phalanx smaller then asher's. I'm having some real trouble with very basic moves.
Renaldo
View Profile
New user
The Great Pacific NW
83 Posts

Profile of Renaldo
Cartomage, nice buys!

I'd agree with Mark about the mentalism book and just about everything else. You're too young? Who cares? Start mentalism now, you'll have 8 years experience of it when you're 21. Not many people can say that! Keep it up, imagine where you'll be with it when you're 31.

As for your hands, they'll grow. Meanwhile, learn the moves, do the moves, your hand size doesn't matter as much as you might think, and right now any manual dexterity you learn will become second nature as an adult.
Ronald72
View Profile
Loyal user
Holland
249 Posts

Profile of Ronald72
Xander try a different size of deck like bridge size. I work with this deck because I have also small hands. Works great.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2001 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Depending on what you want to accomplish, you can go a long way with what you have. I personally like rope tricks, too. But that's me.

One of the values of Mark Wilson's book is that there's a load of great stuff in there and I don't think as many people use it as have it. Quite possible to really surprise someone with a trick that is in a book on their shelf. Also, it is written for the new magician. That helps. Also, there's a lot of stuff there that can be done on the spot without having to open your case (which can lead to the impression that you can only do your magic with "special" props, so the impression is that it is all about the props, not the magician).

I don't do a lot with cards and have chosen to learn only a handful of good card tricks. Right now, that means a simple Monte routine (Color Monte, but I have taken to doing it with regular cards) and I'm working on a good card stab routine. DVDs are really helpful if the techniques are presented well. I like Ammar's volume 2 of Easy to Master CMs because it has tricks I want to learn.

For now, since you already have the stuff you do, learn to maximize what you have. Seriously, you can spend years with just the stuff you have and get to where you can totally fry folks. With focus in your practice, this won't take long. Just learn one trick at a time, put together a solid routine with that trick (so much better to tell a story than to say "hey, watch this!"), and then practice it until you are certain you can do it well. Then, ask a trusted friend to watch it and tell you if he can spot anything wrong with the performance. Don't just try to blow him away, ask for him to watch and see if he can see how you do the trick. A good friend might give you props for a trick, but a better friend will help you see how to clean up any rough spots.

If you really want to do mentalism, go ahead and get a book on it (I have only done a couple of such tricks, but found that the key was to appear totally confident and project real intensity - I've met plenty of teens who can do this very well). I'd suggest looking for quality of effects rather than number of effects. Two or three mental braintwisters will be enough to establish a reputation. I have too often overlooked a source because there are only a few tricks and instead I get the 30 tricks in 30 minutes and find that only one is useful. If I had gotten the other to start with, I'd have 5 good tricks out of the 6 on the DVD.

Regarding cards, I do have a word of advice. Look at the cards that you already have in your house. Does your family normally buy Bikes? If not, do most folks you know normally have Bikes? If you are introducing an unfamiliar type of card it is very easy to assume that you are using "trick" cards even if you are not. If most of your friends have bridge-size Bees, buy a couple of decks of those and work your magic with them. Then, when you pick up the borrowed deck (if you are any good, they will challenge you to do a trick with their deck) you are already familiar with it. Just a thought.

And there's no shame in learning with cards that are sized to your hands. Grow into the poker size. I have fairly big hands and use the poker size because that's what we already have in the house for the games we play. I make a point of using non-bikes sometimes because different finishes make a difference in handling. Just another thought.

-Patrick
Mark Richardson
View Profile
New user
Oakland California
37 Posts

Profile of Mark Richardson
Cartomage, hand size can be a problem but at your age I wouldn’t worry about it. You can still perform some great card magic with small hands. Other than palming and the pass I can’t think of many sleights where small hands could be an issue.

As mentioned in a previous post, start out by practicing with a bridge size deck. Because of its narrower width it may feel more comfortable in your hands and easier for you to control. I personally don’t think it matters to your audience which size cards you use to entertain and the bias of strictly using poker size cards when performing is held only by magicians.

I do admit by choosing to perform with a bridge size deck you limit the amount of gaffed cards you can employ as most of those come in poker size only. But we can save that discussion for another day.
ottphd
View Profile
Loyal user
243 Posts

Profile of ottphd
Books, DVDs, and the internet!!
practice--practice--practice.
Learn theory and psychology! a basic diving board for the rest of your trip in magic.
The better you become the more enjoyable the art becomes. Never get discourged!!
Just when you think you can not do something, Presto!! It happens. You will fly.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Some quick advice (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL