The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » StoryTelling (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mike Robbins
View Profile
Elite user
Anchorage, Alaska
447 Posts

Profile of Mike Robbins
I'm interested in hearing if any others here are doing storytelling along with their magic.

Are you doing storytelling as part of an effect? Are you doing it in-between effects? Are you doing the whole act as one story with effect sprinkled throughout?

I've generally done it as part of certain effects. I'm working on an act now that has the same central theme, but with stories that stand alone and stories that are illustrated with effects.

TIA,

Mike
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Shakespeare
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Mike, if you can do that, it is definitely the way to go, in my opinion.
My adult act is based on my mythical Uncle Linguini, and why he isn't here tonight. Then, each effect illustrates why he can't hold a job.
But each effect will also stand on its own.
The best thing about the idea that you are working on is that the show can be made modular and, therefore, cut or expanded to fit the client's needs.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
There is very little that I do that does NOT contain some type of storytelling. For me, this give my magic a purpose. I can't just do one of those "hey, watch what I can do with these coins, or cards, or silks, etc..." Some of my storytelling includes stories from my own life and stories such as the Three Pigs and Little Red Riding Hood. Also, when I do a child's birthday party, I will find out an interest of the guest of honor, and work a magic routine around his/her area of interest...most recent being a Power Rangers routine done to 20th Century Silks. I tend to find this type of storytelling magic easy and enjoy it very much.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Mike Robbins
View Profile
Elite user
Anchorage, Alaska
447 Posts

Profile of Mike Robbins
What convinced me of this approach is when I started performing at a local Renaissance Faire three years ago. I'm in the Alchemists Guild with another semi-professional magician and a hobbyist magician. Every year we've put on two different "magic shows" at the Faire.

It was the first time I've ever worked with other magicians where we all put our personal goals in the backseat. We came up with a story line that goes through the whole show. The first two years we had it sequenced something like a typical multi-magician show. One magician would get up and perform and then there would be a segue where it was handed off to a second magician and finally a third.

Our first year it was a competition between the three courts (Red, Blue, and Green). Last year it was the alchemist's search for the Philosopher's Stone. This year we're trying something a little different. One of our magicians won't be there, so there are just two of us. We're writing the script so that we're both telling the story and each is doing effects at different times. So it's not Magician A does 3 effects and then Magician B does 3. It's more like Magician A does one, Magician B does one, then both do one together etc. We're writing the story first then assigning effects based upon the strengths of each magician.

I'm pretty excited about it.

Mike
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Shakespeare
DarryltheWizard
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of DarryltheWizard
Yes, I agree, magic that incorporates a story, a tale that can move an audience emotionally, will, in the long run emblazon a lasting magical memory on the minds of the audience.

Copperfield with the trick his deceased grandfather taught him is a perfect example. I successfully use the "Wedding Lock" effect with an emotionally rivetting story about buying a combination lock at Home Hardware and I lock my signet ring on to the lock to try out the combination.

The combination on the card doesn't open the lock. This, in turn forces me back to the little town to return the lock; however, the store isn't open till nine. I end up at a church pancake breakfast with a crowd of strangers, until one of them taps me on the shoulder, saying, "Darryl, Darryl, is that you?" It's a case of genuine mistaken identity, a case of someone being reminded of their deceased son."

Opening the lock is not just a trick, but an effort to create a lasting memory of a wonderful son for the people who thought I was that lad. At the end of the routine, I turn it back to the audience and ask them,
"The next time someone taps you on the shoulder and says, John, Mary, Bill is that you, what will you do to create a lasting magical memory for them?"

Darryl the Wizard Smile
DarryltheWizard
"Life without mystery is like a candle
with a snuffed out flame." Albert Einstein
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » StoryTelling (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL