The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What to do when asked to "do that again"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
othelo68
View Profile
Regular user
North dakota
174 Posts

Profile of othelo68
So I like to do a 3 to 2 coin trick using and keep getting asked to "do it again" My normal excuse is that I'd love to if I Had a another quarter but can't because I only have two quarters now. Usually I'll do a sticky coins routine if repeatedly asked to do another trick. what other advise would you all suggest for situations like that?
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Showing a trick once is entertainment, showing it twice is a lesson!
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
"So, you liked that, did you? You'll like this one even better!" Then go on to another trick. Don't show one unless you are prepared to at least show three separate tricks, each with different methods or principles involved. If they still want more, be ready to hand out your business card... "That calls for a show!" In fact, we teach our Wiz Kids to carry an "Out to Lunch" business card to perform as their final trick.

http://www.magicnook.com/areview/QuaFikiGenii.jpg

They also carry some of their "funny money" with their photos and contact information embedded in it to use as a "desperation trick."
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Ronald72
View Profile
Loyal user
Holland
249 Posts

Profile of Ronald72
Good advice spelbinder.

Just give them your business card, lead them to your website and if they want to see some more they can hire you. Smile

Maybe also something to think, when you are not giving a payed show then you are free? Just hand them immediately your business card and for performing just give you a call.

my best, Ronald
othelo68
View Profile
Regular user
North dakota
174 Posts

Profile of othelo68
Thanks I'll keep that in mind! What if I just do magic for fun?
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
If you don't perform shows and just do magic for fun rather than money, work up a routine of several tricks. Visit the buskers thread and see what those guys are doing and how long a walk-around routine should last.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

othelo68
View Profile
Regular user
North dakota
174 Posts

Profile of othelo68
Cool thanks for the help
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
"in other words you are saying, "do it till I catch you.""
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
560 Posts

Profile of pradell
Spectator: "Do that again!"
Magi: "Sorry, I never perform a trick twice!"

or

"One of the rules they taught me when I learned magic is to never perform the same trick twice."

Then move on. . .

:magicrabbit:
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
On 2009-09-22 21:20, slyhand wrote:

This post went flying over my head. I don't see any posts implying that sentiment. Am I missing something? Did something get erased?
Professor Spellbinder

slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Quote:
On 2009-09-22 22:11, Spellbinder wrote:
Quote:

This post went flying over my head. I don't see any posts implying that sentiment. Am I missing something? Did something get erased?

Sometimes when asked to "do it again" I respond with "Ahh, you mean do it until I catch you". Then I laugh it off and it does not come up again.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Quote:
On 2009-09-22 22:36, slyhand wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-09-22 22:11, Spellbinder wrote:
Quote:

Sometimes when asked to "do it again" I respond with "Ahh, you mean do it until I catch you". Then I laugh it off and it does not come up again.

That is what I understood as well although I had to read it twice.
I might actually use that if you don't mind. It's quite funny.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Thank you for clarifying. My head is filled with dust and cobwebs these days. It IS a good line.
Professor Spellbinder

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
A line from a magician long gone, "I performed that illusion to open the door for fun and entertainment so that each of you can share something special that you can do. Who is next? A song, a story -- a little dance?"
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I have found it helps to set the stage, so to speak, before you do the effect rather than after. So, I will often say "watch carefully, I will only do this once"...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
One of the best things you can do is plan a multiple-part routine where you repeat the same effect but switch up the method, or add some other kind of deceptive progression, and do the first phase trying to elicit the request to repeat the effect. That way, when they do, you're ready.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
othelo68
View Profile
Regular user
North dakota
174 Posts

Profile of othelo68
I appreciate the help! I really like "I performed that illusion to open the door for fun and entertainment so that each of you can share something special that you can do. Who is next? A song, a story -- a little dance?" that's a really great one. I also really like mandarins idea of say that I'm only going to do this once. I should probably start most tricks I do by themselves with that line. Then maybe something like " now I showed you a one, its your turn to show me one!" I'd be interested to see if anyone does
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On 2009-09-23 22:44, othelo68 wrote:
Then maybe something like " now I showed you a one, its your turn to show me one!"

Unless you do card tricks -- because they will. This is one reason I don't do card tricks in clos-up/parlor. Somebody always volunteers to show you their favorite.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Riku_Pajari
View Profile
New user
Mikkeli, Finland
99 Posts

Profile of Riku_Pajari
I just use "Sorry, but the second rule of magic is to never show same trick twice".

After that they usually ask "so, whats the first rule is?" and my answer is "never reveal magic tricks". That usually shuts them up Smile
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Quote:
On 2009-09-23 02:15, abc wrote:
That is what I understood as well although I had to read it twice.
I might actually use that if you don't mind. It's quite funny.

Feel free to use it.

Alec
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What to do when asked to "do that again"? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL